The Pecking Order

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

The Pecking Order

Post by 60WinTim »

So how about a discussion of how and where our two new comers fit in...

Julius Randle - This is the easier one. Logically, Randle takes KAT's spot in the starting lineup. Although, an argument can be made for NAZ to start and Randle to come off the bench. NAZ had positive results when called up to start last season. This is something to watch this preseason. The Wolves first preseason game is THIS Friday in LA, to be broadcast on NBATV. We don't even know if Randle and DDV will be here soon enough to participate.

Donte DiVincenzo - This is where things get interesting. NAW was always the first guard off the bench last year. But where would you place those two in the pecking order? It sure seems on paper DDV is on top. So does DDV become the first guard off the bench playing alongside ANT? And what those games Conley sits out, which they say will be much more frequent this year. Who starts in Conley's place? It sure seems like that could be DDV. We also might see this in the preseason as Conley might take some game days off.

Who is the biggest loser in this roster shuffling? Both need for Rob and Shannon to contribute early is lessoned with DDV's arrival, so they could miss out on some opportunities that might have been there. But it sure seems like NAW is about to lose out on his "7th guy in the rotation" status. He should still get minutes, but it will now be closer to the 8th or 9th guy in the rotation.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this thing rolling. Any thoughts on how others might fit in, like our rookies, Rob and Shannon? Or how Jingles might fit? Or does Garza actually squeeze in a few minutes since we lost the Center portion of KAT?
Monster

Re: The Pecking Order

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:17 pm So how about a discussion of how and where our two new comers fit in...

Julius Randle - This is the easier one. Logically, Randle takes KAT's spot in the starting lineup. Although, an argument can be made for NAZ to start and Randle to come off the bench. NAZ had positive results when called up to start last season. This is something to watch this preseason. The Wolves first preseason game is THIS Friday in LA, to be broadcast on NBATV. We don't even know if Randle and DDV will be here soon enough to participate.

Donte DiVincenzo - This is where things get interesting. NAW was always the first guard off the bench last year. But where would you place those two in the pecking order? It sure seems on paper DDV is on top. So does DDV become the first guard off the bench playing alongside ANT? And what those games Conley sits out, which they say will be much more frequent this year. Who starts in Conley's place? It sure seems like that could be DDV. We also might see this in the preseason as Conley might take some game days off.

Who is the biggest loser in this roster shuffling? Both need for Rob and Shannon to contribute early is lessoned with DDV's arrival, so they could miss out on some opportunities that might have been there. But it sure seems like NAW is about to lose out on his "7th guy in the rotation" status. He should still get minutes, but it will now be closer to the 8th or 9th guy in the rotation.

Anyway, I can't wait to get this thing rolling. Any thoughts on how others might fit in, like our rookies, Rob and Shannon? Or how Jingles might fit? Or does Garza actually squeeze in a few minutes since we lost the Center portion of KAT?
Garza seems to be a guy that could benefit from being a more center sized guy that's proven he can do some good things at the NBA level when he has gotten the opportunity.

NAW is definitely going to lose some minutes to DDV. I consider NAW more of a pseudo PG. Than some posters but I kinda doubt he is much if any better at that role than DDV and DDV is a more proven shooter and I would give him the edge as a guy that can score too. I don't know which guy is a better defender but DDV just seems like better player. I could see NAW ending up playing more minutes this year as a wing than a guard. He already did that last year but yeah. Ultimately it's great to have a guy like him and DDV it adds to the depth and versatility.

It will be interning to see how the Rookies get minutes. I still expect Ingles to play some minutes most nights so if people are healthy there isn't a whole lot of minutes left if starters are playing around 30mpg and DDV plays even just 25mpg and then there is NAW who will probably play some. Can Dillingham beat out NAW for minutes? Can Shannon beat out Ingles? Will the Wolves give them some shots at playing time simply to develop young guys? Same with a guy like Minott or maybe even Miller?
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Kat played 32.7 minutes mostly to Randle and Reid
Anderson played 22.6 minutes
Morris 15.1 minutes/McLaughlin 11.1 minutes these should go to DD (Shake and Brown had those minutes early in the season)
Conley played 28.9 I would like to see that cut down to 24 and rest all back to back games like Boston handled Horford.

Something like 32 minutes each for Rudy, Naz, Julius give or take.
Mike 24 Rob 10 DD 14
Ant 34, DD 10 NAW 4
Jaden 30, NAW 18

Ingles and Shannon get minutes here and there and when players rest or are injured.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

I think it will be a 10-man rotation that has Rudy, Randle, McDaniels, Ant, and Conley starting with Naz, NAW, DDV, Ingles, and Dillingham off the bench. Dillingham will effectively be the 10th man to start the season and then we'll see how he progresses.

However, now that the Wolves are at the big-boy table, they are going to be more strategic with their older guys in the regular season. I see Mike Conley and Joe Ingles playing no more than 60-65 games, even if they are the pictures of good health all year. That will open up playing time for Minott and Shannon on the nights one or both of those guys rest.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Q-is-here wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:30 pm I think it will be a 10-man rotation that has Rudy, Randle, McDaniels, Ant, and Conley starting with Naz, NAW, DDV, Ingles, and Dillingham off the bench. Dillingham will effectively be the 10th man to start the season and then we'll see how he progresses.

However, now that the Wolves are at the big-boy table, they are going to be more strategic with their older guys in the regular season. I see Mike Conley and Joe Ingles playing no more than 60-65 games, even if they are the pictures of good health all year. That will open up playing time for Minott and Shannon on the nights one or both of those guys rest.
I think that's a pretty good take, Q. So, do you think we wind up waiving our extra guaranteed contract? Or will we find a trade partner who will send us a protected pick for one of "expendable" guys?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

60WinTim wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:36 pm
Q-is-here wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:30 pm I think it will be a 10-man rotation that has Rudy, Randle, McDaniels, Ant, and Conley starting with Naz, NAW, DDV, Ingles, and Dillingham off the bench. Dillingham will effectively be the 10th man to start the season and then we'll see how he progresses.

I think that's a pretty good take, Q. So, do you think we wind up waiving our extra guaranteed contract? Or will we find a trade partner who will send us a protected pick for one of "expendable" guys?
I’m predicting Minott or Garza will be in the rotation over ingles to start the season. I’ll be shocked with Randle coming off the injury we are going to play that small with Rudy our only traditional center
FNG

Post by FNG »

Love this thread because there is so much uncertainty here. One year ago, I think there would have been a lot of consensus here about how the rotation would play out, but it's more of a "wait and see" this year. Barring injury, I think the starting five is set. And I do think NAW is the big loser in minutes with the addition of Donte. Let's not forget that DDV started 63 games for the East Conference finalist last season and hit more than 40% of his 3's...he and Naz are going to be the first two guys off the bench. But our bench is so deep now, it's difficult to predict how the rest of the rotation will play out. I think at least at the start of the season, Finchie will lean more on his vets in rotation spots 8-10. That means a little more NAW and Ingles early in the season. But as the rookies and Minott prove themselves in practice and limite4d game minutes, they may establish themselves in the rotation. I find the uncertainty kind of fun!
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:58 pm

I’m predicting Minott or Garza will be in the rotation over ingles to start the season. I’ll be shocked with Randle coming off the injury we are going to play that small with Rudy our only traditional center
Garza may definitely get some minutes since Finch may believe he has the strength (and fouls to give) to body up some of the bigger Centers when Rudy is on the bench. Although I wonder if Randle can effectively be our backup C (meaning he starts at PF like KAT did but slides down to the C when Rudy hits the bench).

Your take on Ingles is interesting, as I just assumed he'd be our 8th or 9th man backing up McDaniels but that he'd get a lot of nights off as well. We'll see if he ends up just being an insurance policy.
guest81

Post by guest81 »

I just don't see NAW losing that many minutes. If there's one thing that finch prioritizes it's defensive players and NAW has played major minutes since he got here. I think Rob starts out of the rotation and Conleys minutes are reduced. This is a team with championship goals and i don't see finch relying on a rookie of he doesn't need to
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:14 am
kekgeek wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:58 pm

Garza may definitely get some minutes since Finch may believe he has the strength (and fouls to give) to body up some of the bigger Centers when Rudy is on the bench. Although I wonder if Randle can effectively be our backup C (meaning he starts at PF like KAT did but slides down to the C when Rudy hits the bench).

Your take on Ingles is interesting, as I just assumed he'd be our 8th or 9th man backing up McDaniels but that he'd get a lot of nights off as well. We'll see if he ends up just being an insurance policy.
I think Joe was a lock at minutes last week but adding Donte D I think really will affect Joe minutes. Ton of overlap in skill set. The Twolves are really lacking size now. I consider Dilly, Ingles, NAW and DDV all more natural guards (not saying they wont ever play small). I think Minott is going to get a legit shot at the rotation as a backup 3/4. I believe Jace Fredrick mentioned yesterday that Minott looked really good in the first day of camp.

Who knows though