Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by Monster »

I caught up on the Twins game yesterday. I watched most of the opening day game every pitch and then watched the condensed game of the 2nd game. You would have never guess the Twins were the team that bumbled to over 100 loses last year. It's nice to start off well they haven't won a home opener since they were in the metrodome.

Smalley said there were going to be various lineups and batting orders and we saw 2 different ones in 2 days. Polk county and Escobar now have delivered with their bats which is pretty nifty and Escobar had a couple nice plays. Buxton should be enough to pay attention to by himself and that Sano guy is crushing the ball.

The pitching is doing it's job. I like Belisle a lot. I'll have to go back and watch the 9th just to see Haley pitch. It was interesting to see Gimenez in at 3rd and Sano over to 1b for that inning. I hadn't realized Gimenez had that versatility to him in the field.

Anyway fun to see the Twins play some good baseball and win a couple games. I didn't realize just how many guys the Royals lost from their pitching staff this offseason.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I'm such a huge Twins fan, it's fun to be 2-0...seems like a long time since we started the season like this.

Yeah, you're right monster...KC's vaunted bullpen isn't what it used to be. But still...we just beat Danny Duffy and Ian Kennedy, so I'm taking some credit for that. And today we have a favorable matchup with Gibson against Hammel, so 3-0 is a good possibility...Gibby was locked in all spring. I still worry about the left side of the infield, our bullpen, and Mollie's weird lineups (42 homer Dozier leading off and banjo hitter Mauer batting cleanup...really?), but I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts!
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:I'm such a huge Twins fan, it's fun to be 2-0...seems like a long time since we started the season like this.

Yeah, you're right monster...KC's vaunted bullpen isn't what it used to be. But still...we just beat Danny Duffy and Ian Kennedy, so I'm taking some credit for that. And today we have a favorable matchup with Gibson against Hammel, so 3-0 is a good possibility...Gibby was locked in all spring. I still worry about the left side of the infield, our bullpen, and Mollie's weird lineups (42 homer Dozier leading off and banjo hitter Mauer batting cleanup...really?), but I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts!

It's interesting what Mollie is doing that's for sure. Like Smalley said about the lineups there are few guys that are #x hitters especially when a bunch of guys are unproven it makes for some weird combos. Smalley said he pretty much didn't care where he hit except there was one time he was put 4th and he didn't feel like it was his spot. He says some guys do perform differently in different spots in the order. Personally I don't have the knowledge of the game to really have more than a very basic grasp of putting together an offensive batting order. The good thing is the Twins have some players with some legit offensive possibility pretty much everywhere and Castro could end up being good enough offensively for a catcher. We will see. It's nice to start off the season well.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins sweep the Royals. How many sweeps have the Twins have in the past 3 years?

That Sano guy hits the ball pretty hard.

Molitor seems like he is gonna make sure everyone plays. Santana had a nice catch even though he took a poor route and had a hit although it could have come at a more opportune time. Generally speaking offense hasn't been a problem for this squad so far. Fun times.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

We have pitched really well these first 3 games. Not sure how long that lasts. Go Twins.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

3-0 with our #3 and 4 hitters slugging .091 and .071, respectively. Shame on Mollie for putting Buxton and Mauer in those key lineup positions, and good on the Twins for overcoming Mollie's stupid lineups. Sano and Dozier need to be 3 and 4...the rest of the lineup is less important.

We'll be 3-1 after tonight's game, as Hughes will give up at least 2 HRs in the 4 1/3 innings he's permitted to groove fastballs tonight.
Monster

Post by Monster »

4-0

That outfield makes a bunch of catches. That sure is going to help the pitching. Buxton has struggled with the bat but I feel like he will come around and every game he is making at least 1 terrific catch.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:We have pitched really well these first 3 games. Not sure how long that lasts. Go Twins.

Well it lasted 4 games. It was a good run. Hopefully they get back on track after game 5. Sano had a rough day in the field too.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Back on track with a good outing from Santana and Sano crushing the ball. It got a little adventurous with the pen but they got through it.

I was just talking with a friend of mine this weekend about getting a group of guys together to go down to KC sometime to watch a Twins game.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

We need to trade Santata while he is hot. :