Twins Draft Thread 2017

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Twins Draft Thread 2017

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I figured I would start this.

Interesting take on the top prospects for #1.
http://www.startribune.com/mlb-mock-drafts-twins-will-pass-on-fame-versatility-with-no-1-pick/425323213/

Keith Law, ESPN senior writer, predicted earlier this month the top two picks would be McKay or Greene, but on Tuesday bumped Wright to No. 1.

Scouting departments will begin their meetings later this week or at the beginning of next week, meaning that there are still no definites even at the top, but I have more information on team preferences than I did two weeks ago. Most of the names on this mock were somewhere on the last one, but the order has changed from pick No. 1. ...

I've heard that the Twins are in on at least four players at No. 1, including Brendan McKay (as a bat or a two-way guy but not just as a pitcher), Mackenzie Gore and Hunter Greene, but the current betting in the industry is that they will take Wright as the prospect with the best combination of floor and ceiling.

Jay Jaffe at Sports Illustrated in mid-May had the Twins picking McKay.

The general consensus within the industry is that the Twins will tab a two-way player, but that it won't be recent SI cover subject Hunter Greene. Instead, they're apparently leaning towards McKay, who is considered the safer bet. Some scouts consider the 6'2", 214 lb lefty swinger the best pure hitter in the draft class thanks to his smooth swing and all-fields approach. Others like his 89-93 mph fastball, plus curveball and average changeup and see someone with a quick pathway to being a No. 3 starter, particularly given the expectation that he'll gain velocity once he focuses on pitching full time. Even if Minnesota takes him here, it's not clear which path the team will have him take.

Perfect Game selected Greene as the top pick in early May.

Greene has everything he needs to become the 1st prep RHP drafted #1 overall. He's made a jump from easy upper 90s last summer to reaching triple digits this spring and will still only be 17 years old on draft day. He's also shown the breaking ball and changeup to go with it and has huge impact potential; not to mention he's also a 1st round talent with the bat, having won the HR Derby at the PG All-American Classic last summer.

Hero Sports bumped McKay above Greene into the No. 1 spot.

We had hunter green here last time, and he's still very much in play with the first pick. So are a handful of other players, including Kyle Wright and a possible surprise prep pitcher like but not limited to MacKenzie Gore. Ultimately, I think the Twins prefer McKay's safety a little more, and that's the pick. For now.

Re: Twins Draft Thread 2017

Greene is coming to town on 9th.
http://www.startribune.com/top-draft-prospect-greene-to-work-out-here-for-twins-next-week/425325214/
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Interesting fact that There's never been a high school pitcher picked number 1 overall I believe. I think Wright is the right choice no pun intended. I think the the Twins will take Greene as a non fan of him he does have arm talent you can't teach, I just don't like taking a guy #1 where his floor is a bullpen arm.

Does Greene have Kenny Powers type potential?
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

I will be happy with either Wright or Greene. We still need an ace to pair with Berrios who shows signs of becoming a good one. Until someone shows to be that sidekick; I want to keep drafting top pitching talent.

I do lean towards Greene simply based on arm talent that reaches triple digits at 17 years old. The chance to take a talent like that doesn't come around often. Yet, I do completely understand the higher floor, bit lower ceiling argument for Wright.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Jester1534 wrote:Interesting fact that There's never been a high school pitcher picked number 1 overall I believe. I think Wright is the right choice no pun intended. I think the the Twins will take Greene as a non fan of him he does have arm talent you can't teach, I just don't like taking a guy #1 where his floor is a bullpen arm.

I believe that's true for right handers, and for good reason. There are so many more of them. Greene has a great case to be the first though.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

It's draft day, and the teams behind the Twins are guessing they will take Wright. CBS Sports thinks they will take McKay.

My thoughts? I don't know. But I hope Hunter Greene blew them away enough Friday to sway them. I'd like to see him throwing 104MPH for us in 3-4 years.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:It's draft day, and the teams behind the Twins are guessing they will take Wright. CBS Sports thinks they will take McKay.

My thoughts? I don't know. But I hope Hunter Greene blew them away enough Friday to sway them. I'd like to see him throwing 104MPH for us in 3-4 years.

If talked to a lot of people I know about the Twins and my supervisor and I'm hearing that it's about 80% that twins don't take Greene and it has to do with money more than anything else. Remember the twins have the 35th and 37th pick and would like to save money for those two picks and Greene wants max money for being number 1 overall.

I've also heard that if the pick is McKay the Twins will put him at first base and not at pitcher and they are worried about Kyle Wright long term health.

If the pick isn't McKay don't be shocked if the pick is Royce Lewis tonight, he's a sneaky dark horse that twins have meet with 3 times so obviously they like him enough to interview him 3 times and he be cheaper at #1 then anybody else.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Jester1534 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:It's draft day, and the teams behind the Twins are guessing they will take Wright. CBS Sports thinks they will take McKay.

If talked to a lot of people I know about the Twins and my supervisor and I'm hearing that it's about 80% that twins don't take Greene and it has to do with money more than anything else. Remember the twins have the 35th and 37th pick and would like to save money for those two picks and Greene wants max money for being number 1 overall.

I've also heard that if the pick is McKay the Twins will put him at first base and not at pitcher and they are worried about Kyle Wright long term health.

If the pick isn't McKay don't be shocked if the pick is Royce Lewis tonight, he's a sneaky dark horse that twins have meet with 3 times so obviously they like him enough to interview him 3 times and he be cheaper at #1 then anybody else.

Good info as always, jester. I've jumped off the Greene train since this morning and moved to the McKay train. I just listened to an MLB network guy on Barreiro (he'll be on TV at 5 before the draft too), and his homerun choice would be Greene...says he is by for the most talented player in the draft. But then he called McKay "the best college player of all time", and said he had a good chance of making it as both a Pitcher and a DH/1b. With reports that the Twins may not think Greene can learn to reliably spin the ball, I think I'm more comfortable with McKay.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

Good info as always, jester. I've jumped off the Greene train since this morning and moved to the McKay train. I just listened to an MLB network guy on Barreiro (he'll be on TV at 5 before the draft too), and his homerun choice would be Greene...says he is by for the most talented player in the draft. But then he called McKay "the best college player of all time", and said he had a good chance of making it as both a Pitcher and a DH/1b. With reports that the Twins may not think Greene can learn to reliably spin the ball, I think I'm more comfortable with McKay.

I saw on Twitter that Boras is selling the low money angle for Lewis to get him picked #1. That's kinda funny coming from Boras.