Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by bleedspeed »

Rain!!!!

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/05/wetmore-latest-rainout-likely-mess-twins-pitching-rotation/

It will be interesting how they handle these makeup games.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

How many games do they have to make up now? Crazy.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Oops he did it again.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/05/zulgad-jose-berrios-now-living-hype-twins-starter-shuts-first-place-rockies/
Monster

Post by Monster »

Hopefully we will see more good things from Jose.

Twins split with the Royals yesterday and it begins a brutal stretch where I read they play 50 games in 50 days.

Who would want that Trash Robbie Grossman? Nobody wants guys with over .400 OBP. :)

Mejia had a solid start. Gibson is coming back up from a start and Hughes went to the DL. I wonder if either Falvey or Lavine are avid jugglers. The rotation is very vulnerable.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Over the next 50 days we will know what these Twins are made of. Hughes is our so we will be using a starting rotation held together by bubble gum and duct tape. Do we have anyone in AAA/AA that would be worth giving a shot in the rotation?

I'm skeptical. Their record seems better than their capability on paper. I know the Wolves have a history of always under performing their "Pythagorean Wins", which is a statistical model that looks at things like margin of victory, etc. It feel like the Twins are doing the opposite this season. I don't study baseball enough to know if there is something equivalent, but it feels like they are playing way over their heads in terms of W/L record.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Q12543 wrote:I'm skeptical. Their record seems better than their capability on paper. I know the Wolves have a history of always under performing their "Pythagorean Wins", which is a statistical model that looks at things like margin of victory, etc. It feel like the Twins are doing the opposite this season. I don't study baseball enough to know if there is something equivalent, but it feels like they are playing way over their heads in terms of W/L record.

I would agree.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:I'm skeptical. Their record seems better than their capability on paper. I know the Wolves have a history of always under performing their "Pythagorean Wins", which is a statistical model that looks at things like margin of victory, etc. It feel like the Twins are doing the opposite this season. I don't study baseball enough to know if there is something equivalent, but it feels like they are playing way over their heads in terms of W/L record.

I would agree.

One of the things that would make you think that is they have played a lot of division games. Their division isn't exactly good.

A couple things that may not be flukes.

They draw walks Mayer and Polonco are 2 of the least likely guys to strike out. As good as things have gone record wise some guys haven't even hit well most of this stretch. Mayer seems to be finding his groove now and Dozier has just been ok. He is due at some point for a streak of good hitting. They have played much better defense and having a decent closer all season makes a big difference. They gave away some games early last year.

They need 3 starters to be worthwhile and I think they can get by with guys that aren't too great at the other 2 spots. If they get 4 legit starters out of all this mess they will be in good shape. At this point that means Jose and someone else has to be kinda good. It could happen...I wouldn't bet on it but it's not crazy to hope for. Remember the bar is low. Lol
Monster

Post by Monster »

That Santana guy is pretty good. 105 pitch complete game.

Pretty amazing season from Santana. Weird how a guy finds his groove like this in his mid-30s. May be that's not as uncommon in baseball (?).

Their road record is incredible. What a turnaround from last year.