A Miguel Sano Problem

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Re: A Miguel Sano Problem

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

If you can get an ace I think you trade him. Otherwise I think you just have to bite the bullet and pay him to DH. I'm over the attitude that you have to play the field. 28 HR's in 114 games with a respectable .859 OPS and he's only got 2.5 years under his belt at 24. Just let him DH and don't give away the next David Ortiz because he's immature and you need him to play the field. We had Robbie Grossman DH'ing in the 9 spot in a 1 game playoff for crying out loud. Get the ace if you can because we need it more, but I don't think you dump him otherwise.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I don't think anyone said dump him, but his value is certainly higher if he plays 3rd. His problems are easily correctable and that makes it frustrating.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:If you can get an ace I think you trade him. Otherwise I think you just have to bite the bullet and pay him to DH. I'm over the attitude that you have to play the field. 28 HR's in 114 games with a respectable .859 OPS and he's only got 2.5 years under his belt at 24. Just let him DH and don't give away the next David Ortiz because he's immature and you need him to play the field. We had Robbie Grossman DH'ing in the 9 spot in a 1 game playoff for crying out loud. Get the ace if you can because we need it more, but I don't think you dump him otherwise.

Robbie Grossman is a good hitter.

Like Bleed said nobody is just dumping Sano if they trade him they are getting something good in return. I honestly doubt they move him. There is no reason to just move him to DH either. He can and should be able to play 3b for a few years. He was pretty good over there in his first full year as a 3rd baseman. But your point probably was more like worst case scenario putting the guy at DH is not a bad scenario.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I don't think anyone said dump him, but his value is certainly higher if he plays 3rd. His problems are easily correctable and that makes it frustrating.

I guess my point was if he stays ballooned at 280+ which hopefully he doesn't, he's not going to be a good fielder but that shouldn't matter in terms of keeping him or looking to move him. IF he can't field and IF you can't get an ace for him just move him to DH, let him spot start at 3rd and be done with it. We're in the American League. Take advantage of that opportunity to keep a big bat in the lineup while still being able to stay solid defensively.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I dont see anyone trading an ace for a DH or any really any position player on the Twins.
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

I have a very good source too.....anybody who has appeared on Barrairo that I listen to on IHeartRadio at my desk.

For the record: Sano has always had that 1999-Randy-Moss feel to him. He knows how good he is and knows the rules don't apply. I am actually relieved that that this is the biggest issue regarding him (for now at least). If Porky's is still there, I could totally see him getting into a fight at the Drive-thru.

I'm sure at this point that the Twins are hoping for a more mobile Greg Luzinski. They only have to hide him at DH one more year. Then the Pope of Randolph Avenue will be gone and they can move him to 1st. This offseason, along with figuring out the pitching, should be about moving Vargas and Granite for a dependable 3B, or making sure Gordon gets brought up so Dozier/Polanco could(?) play 3B (or Garver?).