WildWolf2813 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 17, 2026 10:29 am
are players avoiding this situation because they think there's no role or pathway for them?
That must be true unless the Wolves are doing a poor job messaging to free agents the opportunity that can come from starting here.
I think if we wanted Watford he would have come here. I think they know what they are doing. They are either waiting on a trade or waiting for some players to be waived. Memphis is going to need to waive a few players and they have too many bigs, others teams as well. Charlotte is probably gong to buy out Dorian Smith at some point this summer.
I like Watford but in a lot of ways he didn't really fit. Not really a good 3 point shooter not really a particularly good rebounder and there was questions about his defense. His ball handling and playmaking were plenty interesting though. I think he is an NBA player good for hi. Getting an NBA deal.
He had planned to sign overseas but it looks like his deal with the Pels might even be fully guaranteed. I would bet $20, my Ricky Rubio and Googs jerseys the Wolves were not willing to give him a fully guaranteed deal so I wouldn't read much into the fact that he went elsewhere. Trey Lyles didn't even get a full guaranteed deal.
Phenom wrote: ↑Tue Aug 18, 2026 1:11 pm
Now it's reported that Watford did not get a full guarantee from Orleans. That solidifies the idea that the Wolves weren't interested.
I think that’s spot on, Phenom. Trendon or at least his agent had to know he had a much better chance of starting or at least playing substantial rotation minutes with the Wolves than he’ll have with the Pelicans. I actually think Watford would have been a good addition to the Wolves, but as Monster pointed out, Watford isn’t a a floor stretcher and isn’t a particularly good rebounder either. I would think the Wolves want at least one of those two skills in any PF they sign to be part of the rotation. But interestingly, Kuminga’s not a floor-stretcher or rebounder either. Yet, it’s seems clear the Wolves are pursuing him but that’s probably a reflection of Kuminga’s high upside potential. If it were up to me, I probably would have offered Watford the same deal he got from the Pelicans. If we had, I’m sure he would have signed here because of the better opportunity to play as well the chance to play with a winning, possibly title-contending team. TC obviously has other plans.
Phenom wrote: ↑Tue Aug 18, 2026 1:11 pm
Now it's reported that Watford did not get a full guarantee from Orleans. That solidifies the idea that the Wolves weren't interested.
I think that’s spot on, Phenom. Trendon or at least his agent had to know he had a much better chance of starting or at least playing substantial rotation minutes with the Wolves than he’ll have with the Pelicans. I actually think Watford would have been a good addition to the Wolves, but as Monster pointed out, Watford isn’t a a floor stretcher and isn’t a particularly good rebounder either. I would think the Wolves want at least one of those two skills in any PF they sign to be part of the rotation. But interestingly, Kuminga’s not a floor-stretcher or rebounder either. Yet, it’s seems clear the Wolves are pursuing him but that’s probably a reflection of Kuminga’s high upside potential. If it were up to me, I probably would have offered Watford the same deal he got from the Pelicans. If we had, I’m sure he would have signed here because of the better opportunity to play as well the chance to play with a winning, possibly title-contending team. TC obviously has other plans.
I read something just not that Watford said the report about him signing overseas was false. The article also pointed out the Pels basically have nobody as a backup center and so there might be various opportunities for him in addition to possible minutes with Zion staying healthy always being a concern. It's not a bad opportunity probably not as good as here although let's be honest if we are looking at various guys that really aren't really floor spacers why not just play Beringer there if he is able to rebound and defend? There are some players that could block a PF from getting minutes including Lyles, McDaniels (there are a ton of wing options) plus Beringer. Matt Lloyd looks like my HS principal in a candy store every time he talks about Joan.
Edit: Pels waived Hunter Dickenson from his 2-way deal so they have even less depth at Center in their org.