Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:newest twin via mets

Adam Wilk, lhp Born: Dec 09, 1987 B-T: L-L Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 180
Drafted: Long Beach State, 2009 (11th round). Signed by: Phil Huttmann
Adam WilkBackground: At Cypress (Calif.) High, Wilk played with Josh Vitters and Tigers minor leaguer Mike Morrison while setting school records for career wins (23) and ERA (1.50). He went undrafted, however, and spent three years at Long Beach State before signing for $68,000 as an 11th-rounder in 2009. He's the 11th 49ers pitcher selected in the last 11 drafts to make the big leagues, joining the likes of Jered Weaver and Jason Vargas.

Scouting Report: A classic pitchability lefthander, Wilk doesn't blow hitters away with his 86-89 mph fastball but can run it up to 91 when needed. He has an average slider and the ability to change its shape and speed, throwing it anywhere from 79-85 mph. He has an average changeup with a 10 mph differential from his fastball and occasionally uses a curveball as a show-me pitch. Wilk's biggest asset is his excellent command and feel for pitching, which allowed him to lead Detroit farmhands with 128 strikeouts in 2012. He's a student of the game and shows excellent poise on the mound.

The Future: While he's been roughed up in his brief big league stints, Wilk has the command and moxie to pitch at the back of a big league rotation. He compares favorably with Tommy Milone.

Thanks for posting that. You know he was let go because they added Milone right? Lol
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

monsterpile wrote:
Thanks for posting that. You know he was let go because they added Milone right? Lol

Seriously? That is too funny. This was from a scouting report when he was one of the top 10 prospects in Tigers system.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Seriously? That is too funny. This was from a scouting report when he was one of the top 10 prospects in Tigers system.

Yep the circle of life. Lol The Brewers had signed him to a contract worth 1.65 million or something this offseason and he wasn't good so they cut him loose.

Another thing I noticed the other day...remember Adam Walker the power guy that got claimed or whatever off the Twins roster? Yeah he went on quite the tour of getting waived and claimed by teams finally landing with the Braves. He is down at AA after struggling in AAA. Absolutely feast or famine guy right now. Arica is mashing for the Diamondbacks in AAA. So far the Twins haven't picked the wrong guy to cut loose and that's been tricky because they have had some talent to decide between and will have to keep doing so. They also did a nice job trading Nuñez when he was at the peak of his value.

Also while we are on a roll...the Nolosco trade looks pretty good too. Santiago has been terrific while Nolosco has been serviceable for the Angels. Alex Meyer is struggling as a starter with one bad start in the majors this year and over 6 era in the minors. It's nice to at least not look like chumps with these moves over the last year. Time will tell if the keep looking good or solid.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Twins with another HR game. Dozier got himself a HR in his first game back.

Hughes was cruising through the first few innings. Fortunately the Pen got the job done. Presley stuck out the side. They really need him to settle in and be worthwhile the guy has the stuff. Belise has been disappointing also but has a legit track record of success. It's likely he eventually settles in but it would be nice to see it actually happen. 2 walks today.

Escobar looks like he is back to they guy he was before he struggled hitting last year. It's not often you have a utility guy that also has solid power and drives in runs. I like him a lot.
Monster

Post by Monster »

My brother texted me yesterday a question.

Who are the hardest guys to strike out in the American League this season?

Right away said Mauer and someone else for the Twins. Eventually after thinking through the lineup I said the other one was Polonco? I got it right. :)

monsterpile wrote:

Right away said Mauer and someone else for the Twins. Eventually after thinking through the lineup I said the other one was Polonco? I got it right. :)

Seriously? That shocking. Mauer I can see, but he just seems to be having a bad year that it surprises me. Polonco because he is so young.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Seriously? That shocking. Mauer I can see, but he just seems to be having a bad year that it surprises me. Polonco because he is so young.

I'm over 200 ABs between those 2 guys they have struck out only 21 times. Mauer' transformation there is pretty significant. We will see if they keep it up. Smalley made the point of why Mauer is in the spots he is in the lineup is partly because everybody else is a strikeout guy that's an option. Joe is going to put it in play or walk. The podcast with Smalley and Souhan is just terrific imo. I learn so much about the game from Smalley he really seems to know what he is talking about plus tons of hilarious stories and fun talk about music.

Jose Berrios is coming to town.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Jose Berrios is coming to town.

Who is he coming to visit? Jk

I hope he can have success this time around. This team looks very promising when it comes to position players at this point. It needs pitching it has so little young pitching doing much of anything on this roster at this point.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well so far so good for Berrios. I only watched the condensed game but it obviously went well even with a squirrel delay.

Mauer laid down a bunt for a hit. They scored some runs. Sano made a nice play robbing a foul ball from a fan in the stands. I read Kinzler is throwing some different pitches. Just like everyone predicted the Twins are gonna take the series and took the division lead from Cleveland. :)