Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by Monster »

After a disappointing loss where the Pen failed it was a good win yesterday even with some blunders. I was getting nervous when it was 4-4 but the pulled it out. Now they have a day off and next have an important series against Cleveland.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:After a disappointing loss where the Pen failed it was a good win yesterday even with some blunders. I was getting nervous when it was 4-4 but the pulled it out. Now they have a day off and next have an important series against Cleveland.

Poor giminez last night had a rough night behind the plate. He had Matthew LeCroy type day behind the plate lol. I used to call LeCroy softball Sammy because he always looked like he should be a monster slowpitch softball player and be as good as Sammy Sosa.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well that wasn't a good first game of the series for the Twins. It was curious to me that Molitor used Enns in the pen after a day off. I'd guess he will be sent down. You won't win a lot of games only scoring one run. It would be nice to bounce back and take 2 games but if they want to stay in this playoff run they can't get swept.

One of the best developments of the entire season that we don't talk about much is how Sano looks like he is a legit defensive 3rd baseman. That play he had last night was terrific. At this point he isn't just a bat that can play a position he looks like a really good defensive player over there. That's a big deal. It does help that you can just chuck it over there and Mauer will do the rest.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Perkins re-instead today enns to the 10 day DL. Something named Aaron Slegers is pitching the second game of the double header.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I know I been harping on this but enough with Kyle Gibson. Every time he pitches if we don't score at least 4-5 runs we have no chance of winning. Call up anybody, he'll I'll take Mike Pelfrey at this point lol
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Jester1534 wrote:Perkins re-instead today enns to the 10 day DL. Something named Aaron Slegers is pitching the second game of the double header.

Slegers has been red hot in Rochester...something like 8-0 with a sub-2 ERA in the last six weeks. He's 6'10" but not overpowering. He clearly deserves the chance, but I dont know that his stuff will be as effective in the bigs.

Yeah, I agree on Gibson. With 7 games in 5 days, Molly had to start him today. But I don't know that we will see him starting another game this season barring injury. Lots of talk that Gonsalves could make his debut in Chicago Monday.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

It was really fun to watch Slegers last night. I DVRd the game and usually speed things up between pitches to shorten the game. But Slegers works so quickly, I didn't have to fast forward when he was pitching! He's a 5th round pick who has only been average until this year...but man has he been good the last 6 weeks in Rochester. He throws strikes, and maybe his 91 MPH fastball gets on the hitter quicker because of his height. Whatever it is, he was quite effective last night against a hot Cleveland team. He's not on the 40 man, so who knows what his immediate future is, but he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on as a potential starter down the road.

Grossman broke his hand last night and is out for at least three weeks, but I don't think that hurts us very much...and might even help us. After a terrific start to his season, he has clearly reverted back to his mean...he's only hit .203 since the All-Star break with only 1 HR and 7 RBI. Plus he doesn't help us much in the field. I think a guy like Granite or even Vargas could be more effective. And Mitch Garver (who they brought up last night) has hit .291 with 17 HRs at Rochester this year.

The Twins are only a game out of the second wild card, and have an easy schedule the rest of the season. I think we have a 50% chance of playing a wild card playoff game.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:It was really fun to watch Slegers last night. I DVRd the game and usually speed things up between pitches to shorten the game. But Slegers works so quickly, I didn't have to fast forward when he was pitching! He's a 5th round pick who has only been average until this year...but man has he been good the last 6 weeks in Rochester. He throws strikes, and maybe his 91 MPH fastball gets on the hitter quicker because of his height. Whatever it is, he was quite effective last night against a hot Cleveland team. He's not on the 40 man, so who knows what his immediate future is, but he's definitely a guy to keep an eye on as a potential starter down the road.

Grossman broke his hand last night and is out for at least three weeks, but I don't think that hurts us very much...and might even help us. After a terrific start to his season, he has clearly reverted back to his mean...he's only hit .203 since the All-Star break with only 1 HR and 7 RBI. Plus he doesn't help us much in the field. I think a guy like Granite or even Vargas could be more effective. And Mitch Garver (who they brought up last night) has hit .291 with 17 HRs at Rochester this year.

The Twins are only a game out of the second wild card, and have an easy schedule the rest of the season. I think we have a 50% chance of playing a wild card playoff game.

I was wondering about Grossman being out not being that big of a deal. August is the first month his OBP is below .351 so he still has had plenty of value. I do think it's a good opportunity for another player though and they could come through.

Winning the series would have been great but leaving with a win avoids disaster. Considering the starters we threw out there 1-2 in the series ain't bad at all.

Sledgers looks pretty good.

Kepler had a flub out there in the field then made up for it with a HR the next inning. That's kind of an example of why this team is where it is. It hasn't spiraled out of control. Souhan and Smalley were saying how amazing it was this team hasn't had more than a 4 game losing streak all season especially with the rotation they have had plus the bullpen.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Interesting move today by the ball club promoting Mitch Garver over Granite. I guess Garver has played 15-17 games in left this season and has expierence playing outfield. They probably think they can get by with him till September. Also they sent down Boshers and brought back up our main man Turley. Still waiting on Gonsalves.....
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Byron Buxton!!!