World Series thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: World Series thread

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Very entertaining series and game, but not the result I wanted. The Cubbies are just a little too precious for me. Cleveland has real fans, but 82% of Cubbies fans can't explain the infield fly rule.

This series featured perhaps my two favorite managers, but the panicking way they handled their pitchers in game 7 was baffling to me. I thought this might be a classic 1-0 game 7 like in 1991, but I sense it might be distracting for a starting pitcher to see rustling in the bullpen after they give up their first baserunner...jeez, give these two aces a little rope. And then Madden puts the wife-beating Chapman out there for too many innings. The guy has a stellar year because Madden manages him well, and then he abuses him in the 7th game and he gives up his first homer since June! We got to see some of the best arms in baseball in Game 7, but we didn't really get to see them because the managers decided to use them completely differently than they did all year...what?????

I continue to be amazed that no smart GM has asked me to come in and manage their team...I clearly have all the answers :)
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

longstrangetrip wrote:Very entertaining series and game, but not the result I wanted. The Cubbies are just a little too precious for me. Cleveland has real fans, but 82% of Cubbies fans can't explain the infield fly rule.

This series featured perhaps my two favorite managers, but the panicking way they handled their pitchers in game 7 was baffling to me. I thought this might be a classic 1-0 game 7 like in 1991, but I sense it might be distracting for a starting pitcher to see rustling in the bullpen after they give up their first baserunner...jeez, give these two aces a little rope. And then Madden puts the wife-beating Chapman out there for too many innings. The guy has a stellar year because Madden manages him well, and then he abuses him in the 7th game and he gives up his first homer since June! We got to see some of the best arms in baseball in Game 7, but we didn't really get to see them because the managers decided to use them completely differently than they did all year...what?????

I continue to be amazed that no smart GM has asked me to come in and manage their team...I clearly have all the answers :)

Interesting angle on the Cubs vs. Indians fans.

Quick stat: Cleveland was 28th in attendance this season. And I think there are many, many diehard Cubs fans more than liberally sprinkled in among the hipsters.

ahem, ahem...

As for the pitching moves, modern-day (analytics?) baseball relies so heavily on the bullpens. But as you note, why on Earth take out a smooth-sailing effective starter not nearly at his pitch count just to overextend your closer... again? Let them pitch for chrissakes. Too much micro-managing for my tastes.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:Very entertaining series and game, but not the result I wanted. The Cubbies are just a little too precious for me. Cleveland has real fans, but 82% of Cubbies fans can't explain the infield fly rule.

There was some odd decisions for sure. It ended up being a terrific game and I'm wondering if there was some memory erasing device in the booth because I don't see how a guy in Lester that throws 2 WP leading to allowing 2 runs was "terrific". Lol