Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

I have a question: If the Twins needs a catcher, wouldn't it be Garver and not JRM?

In Chatanooga, the only Twins with a OPS over 800 are Nick Gordon and a CF named Lamonte Wade. As far as P's with a WHIP less than one: Melotakis, Burdi, and someone I never heard of named Nik Turley.

As far as the rest of AAA, Palka's 3 errors jump out at me.
Monster

Post by Monster »

JasonIsDaMan wrote:I have a question: If the Twins needs a catcher, wouldn't it be Garver and not JRM?

In Chatanooga, the only Twins with a OPS over 800 are Nick Gordon and a CF named Lamonte Wade. As far as P's with a WHIP less than one: Melotakis, Burdi, and someone I never heard of named Nik Turley.

As far as the rest of AAA, Palka's 3 errors jump out at me.

Yeah see I knew I would forget someone. Garver certainly would be in the mix. My guess is they would bring up Murphy if it was just going to be a short stint. I get the feeling they want some of these young guys to get a healthy amount of time at AAA before they come up. It's encouraging that he has had a terrific start at the plate. I wonder how his defense has been behind it. JRM actually isn't doing too bad with the bat either. The way Gimenez has played and how versatile he has been so far it looks like an injury is what it will take to get a catcher up from the minors. Considering the position it's just a matter of time before one of the Major league guys misses a little time.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Gibson down to AAA. Not really a surprise. He wasn't good yesterday but he could have had a little more luck defensively but he also unraveled it could have been even worse. With an era around 8 it shouldn't be hard to find someone better. Even with the pitching being subpar yesterday they still had a shot to win.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

I liked the JRM trade at the time. I really felt like he was going to produce for us. Maybe he still will.

I was going to say Gibson was sent down. It will be interesting what we do to replace him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

What a game last night. Hughes looked terrific and he had some pitches that were clocked at 91mph.

The defense had some letdowns both for Hughes that made his pitch count go upor he could have worked deeper and then in the 9th leading to the game getting tied up. Hopefully Dozier is ok. And then all this chatter here about Mauer he is the hero of this game and when he was interviewed afterwards he seemed about as genuinely happy as I have seen him. I was happy for the guy and it was kinda hilarious seeing Sano carry him around.

Great to hear Hughes is getting some velocity back. I am very happy for Mauer. He is in a tough spot. Glad he produced in the clutch.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Man as much fun as last night's game was today got ugly quick. It was someone predictable I suppose. Nothing went right except Breslow pitched well and Gimenez shut the door again. Lol oh well at least they sucked really bad all in one game.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well...that wasn't exactly the pitching matchup it was supposed to be. Man it got ugly for the Twins. My one takeaway from this game is it looked like Vargas played a really good 1b.
Monster

Post by Monster »

The Twins cut ties with Santana and ended up being able to trade him to the Braves (Adam walker is there in AA) for a relief pitcher in AAA that has MLB experience throwing to Castro AND cash!!!! Wut? Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/braves-trade-lefty-for-twins-switch-hitter-danny-santana/YNpiRYOkBDEeCzBpB34CIP/amp.html

newest twin via mets

Adam Wilk, lhp Born: Dec 09, 1987 B-T: L-L Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 180
Drafted: Long Beach State, 2009 (11th round). Signed by: Phil Huttmann
Adam WilkBackground: At Cypress (Calif.) High, Wilk played with Josh Vitters and Tigers minor leaguer Mike Morrison while setting school records for career wins (23) and ERA (1.50). He went undrafted, however, and spent three years at Long Beach State before signing for $68,000 as an 11th-rounder in 2009. He's the 11th 49ers pitcher selected in the last 11 drafts to make the big leagues, joining the likes of Jered Weaver and Jason Vargas.

Scouting Report: A classic pitchability lefthander, Wilk doesn't blow hitters away with his 86-89 mph fastball but can run it up to 91 when needed. He has an average slider and the ability to change its shape and speed, throwing it anywhere from 79-85 mph. He has an average changeup with a 10 mph differential from his fastball and occasionally uses a curveball as a show-me pitch. Wilk's biggest asset is his excellent command and feel for pitching, which allowed him to lead Detroit farmhands with 128 strikeouts in 2012. He's a student of the game and shows excellent poise on the mound.

The Future: While he's been roughed up in his brief big league stints, Wilk has the command and moxie to pitch at the back of a big league rotation. He compares favorably with Tommy Milone.