Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Monster

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:Interesting move today by the ball club promoting Mitch Garver over Granite. I guess Garver has played 15-17 games in left this season and has expierence playing outfield. They probably think they can get by with him till September. Also they sent down Boshers and brought back up our main man Turley. Still waiting on Gonsalves.....

I think some reason to bring up Garver is that they can play either him or Giminez at 1b instead of putting Sano there when they give Mauer a day off. If Garver hits he will play and both he and Giminez are versatile enough to play a few spots.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:Byron Buxton!!!

Heck of a game for him. I'll be interested to hear Roy Smalley break down what is leading to Buxton's success if he keeps this up. I HIGHLY recommend his last podcast with Souhan where he describes why he has always been so high on Rosario as a hitter. That's starting to be one of my favorite podcasts because you get either a breakdown of a player or an interesting story I haven't heard or some general insight on the psyche of a professional baseball player. Often you get all that stuff.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Berrios got back on track and the Twins offense was plenty good to score runs. Mauer is up to .290 with .377 OBP and playing stellar defense.
Squishypoo [enjin:6648839]

Post by Squishypoo [enjin:6648839] »

What a pounding today. 9 runs in the 1st.. Woooooooooooooo
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Yeah, this club really seems to be peaking at the right time. Tomorrow is going to be a challenge with two minor league pitchers (Dillon Gee and Tim Melville) going in a DH against the White Sox. Neither are considered prospects, but both have been effective this year...Gee with a 2.13 ERA in 4 relief outings in the bigs, and Melville with a 2.42 ERA and almost a strikeout per inning at Rochester. Maybe they can come through.

Many of us wanted to see top prospect Stephen Gonsalves get a start tomorrow, but maybe it's best he didn't after getting shelled today for Rochester. Melville was considered the best HS pitcher in the country in 2008 and throws in the mid 90s, but has never had much success until this year at AAA. Who knows...maybe he has figured things out.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:Yeah, this club really seems to be peaking at the right time. Tomorrow is going to be a challenge with two minor league pitchers (Dillon Gee and Tim Melville) going in a DH against the White Sox. Neither are considered prospects, but both have been effective this year...Gee with a 2.13 ERA in 4 relief outings in the bigs, and Melville with a 2.42 ERA and almost a strikeout per inning at Rochester. Maybe they can come through.

Many of us wanted to see top prospect Stephen Gonsalves get a start tomorrow, but maybe it's best he didn't after getting shelled today for Rochester. Melville was considered the best HS pitcher in the country in 2008 and throws in the mid 90s, but has never had much success until this year at AAA. Who knows...maybe he has figured things out.

LST you may want to look up Gee's career stats as he has started 125 games in the majors including being an opening day starter for the Mets. He isn't a AAA pitcher. :) It should be a good situation to play the White Sox all these upcoming games.

This team's offense has been pretty good lately and they did it today without Sano. This winning games is fun. We should do it again next year.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:Yeah, this club really seems to be peaking at the right time. Tomorrow is going to be a challenge with two minor league pitchers (Dillon Gee and Tim Melville) going in a DH against the White Sox. Neither are considered prospects, but both have been effective this year...Gee with a 2.13 ERA in 4 relief outings in the bigs, and Melville with a 2.42 ERA and almost a strikeout per inning at Rochester. Maybe they can come through.

LST you may want to look up Gee's career stats as he has started 125 games in the majors including being an opening day starter for the Mets. He isn't a AAA pitcher. :) It should be a good situation to play the White Sox all these upcoming games.

This team's offense has been pretty good lately and they did it today without Sano. This winning games is fun. We should do it again next year.

Yeah, I didn't mean to equate Gee and Melville because I recognize one has much more experience than the other. But I think my description of them (minor league pitchers who are not prospects) is still accurate. BTW, I would call Kyle Gibson a minor league prospect too. All that said, the whities are not very good, and a sweep today is not out of the question.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

Good to see this team still playing winning ball. So how many WC teams go? What has been the biggest surprise for this team since the All-Star break?
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Good to see this team still playing winning ball. So how many WC teams go? What has been the biggest surprise for this team since the All-Star break?

Without a doubt it's the contribution of Jorge Polanco. This guy that I truly thought was going to go the Danny Santana route but since the all star break he's batting .312. The Twins have the #2 offense since the all star break and with 8 games whith the white sox that shouldn't change.

I honestly waiting for the Yankee collapse I think they're a very flawed team and with that division are due for losing streak. The season rides on this 11 game stretch. They've to go 8-3 or higher, good teams beat bad teams and whitsox and blue jays are bad teams.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

That is a good sign for the team. I looked at saw Byron was batting .240 on the year. Not bad considering where he was in June. I would love to see Max Kepler catch on fire.