Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Twins playing games that matter: Regular season

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:Do you guys think the Indians might go down hill without there leader Francona? I know how respected Terry is around the baseball community it has to be tough on the psyche of that team. I'll be in attendance on Tuesday for the debut of the man the myth the legend Bartolo Colon. Also I been thinking if a Nick Gordon swap for Sonny Gray is a good idea. I go back and forth on Gordon, with us drafting Lewis and we have couple dudes in A ball right now that are just raking I think Gordon is pretty expendable.

I don't have a good sense of how good Gary is as a pitcher. Of course I don't really know what type fo prospect Gordon either. Here is another angle to that conversation. How concerned should we be about Polonco's bat?

Honestly Polonacon and escolobar are your stop gap to whenever Lewis ready. The big thing on Gray is he would be a 2 on most teams but I believe he still has 3 more years of team control just like Qunintana did. I believe in a reviesed
Baseball America Gordon is a top 35 prospect in baseball now. I would love to see the Twins flip Gordon probably one of our 3 young pitchers we drafted this year and Killerhof for Sonny Gray and Yonder Alonso. This solves our pitching Rotation and our problems at first base and gives Sano some damn protection. Then we can go out and find a couple of cheap relievers like a Neshek to fill out the bullpen and let's play!
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

More good news that the Twins picked up another game taking 2 of 3 from a pretty good Yankee team while the Indians lost 2 of three against a bad Giants team...second tough series in a row that we have picked up a game. Now we're just a half game behind the Indians with a sweepable series against the Tigers starting tomorrow. And we're lucky to miss Kershaw next week in LA!

Colon clearly isn't the answer, but Berrios bounced back yesterday, Mejia is starting to make me a believer, Gibson looks like he could be an adequate 5th starter, and Santiago is close to coming back. We're in the pennant race and the wild card race, and could be there the rest of the season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:More good news that the Twins picked up another game taking 2 of 3 from a pretty good Yankee team while the Indians lost 2 of three against a bad Giants team...second tough series in a row that we have picked up a game. Now we're just a half game behind the Indians with a sweepable series against the Tigers starting tomorrow. And we're lucky to miss Kershaw next week in LA!

Colon clearly isn't the answer, but Berrios bounced back yesterday, Mejia is starting to make me a believer, Gibson looks like he could be an adequate 5th starter, and Santiago is close to coming back. We're in the pennant race and the wild card race, and could be there the rest of the season.

It's funny about how the Yankees were coming to town and their lineup and all that but their starters were basically no better Than the Twins and their record was pretty similar. Regardless it's good to get 2 of 3 and we could have swept them.

The Pen is starting to look better. Breslow is back and if he can just be decent that would help. Unfortunately Hughes is likely done so...I'm not sure if that helps or hurts the Pen as he was a wildcard of how effective he was going to be. If Belisle has actually reverted back to being a worthwhile reliever again and a couple of the other young guys are effective it's a more viable group.

Is Dozier going to go on one of this streaks? He is absolutely crushing the ball after the AS break with 5 extrabase hits in 3 games. This team has some flaws but it has some pretty legit talent and Dozier is one guy that's capable of doing even more than he has so far. Kepler is another guy that could get hot at the plate.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Garcia with a plenty solid first outing and the Twins get a win against the A's. It's also good to see Sano back. They didn't really pick up any ground in the playoff race but its good to get a win.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well it's been a good run but the playoff hopes are pretty much over even if we hadn't been sellers.

Berrios is worth tuning in to watch when he is pitching he had a pretty good outing last night. He even had a perfect bunt. It was good to see Buxton back out there and he had a hit. The Twins bats didn't do much.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well the good news from lat night is that Dillon Gee looked pretty good. Mejia was a mixed bag but wasn't helped by his defense.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:Well the good news from lat night is that Dillon Gee looked pretty good. Mejia was a mixed bag but wasn't helped by his defense.

Yeah, disappointing result last night...how many other teams' fans are only 4 1/2 games out of the wild card but have completley given up? But yeah, Gee was pretty good. And it's pretty amazing that Mauer made his first error of the season...he has to be a lock for Gold Glove. On the other side though, I continue to wonder why Mollie puts a guy with five HRs and a slugging average of .385 (the same as backup shortstop Adrianza!) in the cleanup spot...ridiculous! There's a lot of talk around town that Mollie isnt the right guy to manage this team, and that he will be fired at the end of the season.

My son texted me last night and reminded me that 30 years ago he and I were at the Big A for the infamous Joe Niekro emory board scuffed baseball game! The game was tied 2-2 when Tim Tshida threw Niekro out, and we went on to win 12-3 or something like that. Bizarre luck that we just happened to be in California for that game!
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:Well the good news from lat night is that Dillon Gee looked pretty good. Mejia was a mixed bag but wasn't helped by his defense.

Yeah, disappointing result last night...how many other teams' fans are only 4 1/2 games out of the wild card but have completley given up? But yeah, Gee was pretty good. And it's pretty amazing that Mauer made his first error of the season...he has to be a lock for Gold Glove. On the other side though, I continue to wonder why Mollie puts a guy with five HRs and a slugging average of .385 (the same as backup shortstop Adrianza!) in the cleanup spot...ridiculous! There's a lot of talk around town that Mollie isnt the right guy to manage this team, and that he will be fired at the end of the season.

My son texted me last night and reminded me that 30 years ago he and I were at the Big A for the infamous Joe Niekro emory board scuffed baseball game! The game was tied 2-2 when Tim Tshida threw Niekro out, and we went on to win 12-3 or something like that. Bizarre luck that we just happened to be in California for that game!

I don't care where Mauer is hitting 3 hits against a guy with a Twins starter ERA is PATHETIC. The first half of the season the Twins have clearly overachieved somehow. I would think Molitor should get some credit for that. I really don't care all that much either way although I tend to want to see him stay. If they really fold because the Pen doesn't hold up at all (we will see) then I would still be willing to give him more benefit of the doubt. Regardless If Falvey and Lavine want a different guy that's fine with me because it seems like so far they know what they are doing and there are plenty of good options out there.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Colon with a complete game and the bats came alive. I don't know what the numbers are but it feels like part of the Twins slide is a couple guys like Sano and Grossman haven't really been hitting. I expect both of them to bounce back and if we could get most guys hitting on all cylinders they could make a legit run for the wildcard...if the pen isn't a complete disaster. Ok maybe they can just stay within 5 games of being .500 this year that would actually be a pretty good accomplishment.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

The Twins absolutely overachieved in the first half and I believe it was mostly luck. Go look at their Runs Scored vs. Runs Against differential....it's been well into negative figures all season, even when they held first place for a while.

Regression to the mean......