Will Treadwell fall to us?

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Will Treadwell fall to us?

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

From http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15084927/todd-mcshay-top-five-takeaways-ole-miss-pro-day-nfl-draft

aquon Treadwell's 40 time is a red flag. The WR didn't run at the NFL combine, so all eyes were on Treadwell on Monday to see how he'd fare. According to scouts I talked to who were there, he clocked in anywhere from 4.63-4.66. That's a concerning number when looking at recent data for the WR position. We knew from Treadwell's tape that he wasn't an elite down-the-field threat. At 6-foot-2, 221 pounds, he has excellent ball skills, good route-running ability and is one of the best blocking receivers I've seen in years. I never thought he was a burner, but you still want to see him stay out of the 4.6s.

The good news? Treadwell also turned in a 6.71-second time in the three-cone drill. For some comparison, Odell Beckham Jr. did the drill in 6.69 seconds at the 2014 combine. You see that change-of-direction ability and body control on tape. Treadwell gets in and out of breaks without taking many steps and is elusive after the catch.

Treadwell is still my No. 1 WR, but the gap is smaller after today. I say that with the caveat that I still need to go back to watch a little more film of Josh Doctson and Corey Coleman to compare. But the question with Treadwell now becomes: Where do you want to draft a wideout who needs to be paired with a speed receiver next to him? In my last mock draft, I had him going 15th overall to the Los Angeles Rams. That's probably his ceiling now. He could fall into the range from picks Nos. 22-24, where Houston, Minnesota and Cincinnati all have a WR need. I don't foresee him falling out of the first round, but that 40 time will linger in talent evaluators' heads.

Another WR to watch:
Cody Core has intriguing physical tools. If you're going to gamble on Day 3 WR, this might be your guy. He's one of the only wide receivers in this class who has a good size-speed combo (6-foot-3, 205 pounds, 4.47 40). Core improved his combine vertical jump by six inches (from 31.5 to 37.5), did the three-cone drill in 6.75 (which is excellent), and has massive hands (nearly 10½ inches).

Re: Will Treadwell fall to us?

Cody Core Breakdown (1 best 5 worst)

Separation Skills 4 Straight line receiver who is at his best with slants and vertical routes. Has some tightness and struggles to drop weight and transition out of lateral in and out cuts. Doesn't get ideal separation with underneath routes. Adequate feel working against zone coverage. Finds the open areas but can do a better job of avoiding traffic. Displays above-average strength and quick hands when working for a clean release against press technique.

Ball Skills 2 Area of strength. Natural hand-eye coordination. Plucks away from frame and has big mitts (10 3/8) that swallow the ball. Above-average body control and adjusts well to throws outside of frame. Uses frame well to shield defenders in contested situations. Tracks the deep ball well.

Big play ability 3 Gradually build to top gear. Has enough top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. Displays the size, strength and ball skill to win in downfield 50/50 situations. Straight line runner that needs a seam to create after the catch. However, possesses good strength to ward off arm tackles and has enough burst to ruin pursuit angles if catching green grass.

Competitiveness 3 Generally works outside the hashes. Comfortable working in traffic and shows adequate focus in a crowd. Aggressive and competes when the ball is in the air. Fights for extra yards as a runner. Has the size and strength to cover up defenders in the run game but can show more consistent effort in this area.

Production 3
Height-Weight-Speed 2
Durability 2
Intangibles 1

Laquon Treadwell Breakdown

Separation Skills 2 Uses quick feet and long arms to keep cornerbacks off his pads during release. His acceleration out of his break is just adequate. Often gets away with using his long arms to help gain separation out of breaks. Had trouble separating from LSU CB Tre'Davious White (future NFL corner). Often able to create late separation because of his outstanding anticipation, timing, length and strength. His back-shoulder catch for a TD vs. Alabama in 2014 is a good example of his ability to create late separation and then quickly transition upfield.

Ball Skills 1 Outstanding hand-eye coordination and big, strong hands (9 1/2 inches). Attacks the ball with his hands. Highly effective on contested throws and jump balls. Shows confidence in plucking the ball on the run. Excellent body control to adjust to poorly thrown balls. Big catching radius with good height, long arms (33 3/8 inches) and solid leaping ability. Does an especially good job of working the sideline and keeping feet in bounds while securing the football.

Big play ability 4 Has below average top-end speed, which was confirmed with a 4.63 40-yard dash at Ole Miss' Pro Day. Averaged just 11.8 yards per catch during his college career. His length and ability to track the deep ball effectively give him a chance to occasionally contribute a chunk play, but it will be rare for him to run past a cornerback in the NFL. Makes a quick transition upfield after the catch. Runs hard and frequently shows the ability to break tackles. He lacks breakaway speed and is not overly elusive, but he does show the ability to make a first defender miss. Also displays impressive vision and balance to weave his way through traffic after the catch.

Competitiveness 1 Takes a lot of pride in his blocking. Works hard to get into position. Keeps his feet moving after contact and has the length and strength to sustain against most cornerbacks. Will also peel off his initial block and work downfield on longer gains. As a runner, he fights hard for yards after contact. He also shows no fear working over the middle. He lost just one fumble during his career (202 receptions), but at times, he will get careless with the ball and dangle it away from his frame.

Production 1
Height-Weight-Speed 2
Durability 4
Intangibles 1

Treadwell seems like a perfect fit with Teddy.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Thanks for this. I can just do all my reading here.