Fan Catches FOUR Foul Balls.

MLB General News
Jakapoo [enjin:6588675]

Fan Catches FOUR Foul Balls.

Post by Jakapoo [enjin:6588675] »

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9478066/fan-catches-four-foul-balls-cleveland-indians-game

Four balls usually earns you a walk at a baseball game, but for Greg Van Niel it added up to one remarkable day at the ballpark.

Van Niel caught four foul balls at the Indians' 6-4 win over the Kansas City Royals on Sunday.

A season ticket holder, Van Niel actually wasn't in his usual seats on this unusual day.

"We weren't in our actual season ticket seats [Sunday]," Van Niel told ESPN. "We were one section over and it happened to be the lucky section [Sunday]."

The Indians caught up with Greg during the game and he posed for a picture while displaying three of his souvenirs.

Found him: Tribe Season Ticket Holder Greg Niel has caught four foul balls today. Nice work Greg! pic.twitter.com/vmiIQuwefL

-- Cleveland Indians (@Indians) July 14, 2013
Van Niel, who said he'd never caught a foul ball before Sunday, explained, "I caught three of them and one was a pick-up."

He kept the first three he corralled, but said he tossed the fourth one into the crowd because, "I had one for each of the kids that was with us."

The odds are one in a thousand just to catch one foul ball at any give game, according to ESPN Stats & Information. So what are the odds of one person catching four at a single game?

A cool one in a trillion, or simply a great day in Cleveland.

Damn...
MinnesotaJock [enjin:6589402]

Re: Fan Catches FOUR Foul Balls.

Post by MinnesotaJock [enjin:6589402] »

I started reading the comments and saw this, Lol.

Jakapoo [enjin:6588675]

Post by Jakapoo [enjin:6588675] »

MinnesotaJock wrote:I started reading the comments and saw this, Lol.

:lol: That is pretty funny.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Really pisses me off because I have never caught one in hundreds of games. Best chance was years ago at the old Met. I was coming down the walkway down the third baseline holding my 2-year-old daughter with my left arm and a Grain Belt with my right hand, when an easy pop fly came right at me. My quick thinking told me I couldn't drop either of my packages, so I just stepped aside. Didn't think that would be my last chance, but so far it has been.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Was thinking the same thing poor guy lol. Showed this to my pops he got really mad he's gone to 20 plus games every year for the last 30 years and has never caught a foul ball at a game. I always rub it in because I caught one when I was like 13 at the dome lol
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:Really pisses me off because I have never caught one in hundreds of games. Best chance was years ago at the old Met. I was coming down the walkway down the third baseline holding my 2-year-old daughter with my left arm and a Grain Belt with my right hand, when an easy pop fly came right at me. My quick thinking told me I couldn't drop either of my packages, so I just stepped aside. Didn't think that would be my last chance, but so far it has been.

Man that sucks man I'm sorry, my dad has been the same way, the first year with Thome he had my 5 year old sister in his arms and Thome hit a rocket, tried one handing it he actually bruised and sprained his hand on it.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Best foul ball story I have was 2001 with my great grandfather Jacque Jones his a ball behind the section sign in 228 I go after it because no ones there but it hits the rail and land right in my 90 year old great grandfathers lap. But it was 4th inning so that's when they take the ball and would've have the player sign it, but my grandfather absolutely hated Jacque jones.

So he argued for like 10 mins with the usher because he didnt want to give up his first foul ball ever, I still remember him saying why would I want that piece crap player to sign I'm 90 I have the right not to have him sign my ball.

So he gave up we get a month back and Idk if was a joke or not but basically everyone on the team signed the ball beside Jacque jones lol

Love the image of the 90-year-old battling it out with the usher!

Re: the Jones reference. I played golf with Tom Kelly and Dark Star (RIP) about ten years ago, and I asked Kelly if he could come back and be any of the players he had coached, who would he want to be. I thought he would say Puckett or Hunter, but without even skipping a beat he said "Jacques Jones...had more potential than anyone I ever coached." What a waste of talent.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

longstrangetrip wrote:Love the image of the 90-year-old battling it out with the usher!

Re: the Jones reference. I played golf with Tom Kelly and Dark Star (RIP) about ten years ago, and I asked Kelly if he could come back and be any of the players he had coached, who would he want to be. I thought he would say Puckett or Hunter, but without even skipping a beat he said "Jacques Jones...had more potential than anyone I ever coached." What a waste of talent.

Unfortunately my grandfather has passed since then but it's one of the best memories I've ever had.

That's why he hated Jacque jones he alway said biggest waste of talent ever too lol. But you gotta love TK that must've been awesome to got to golf with Dark. I remember as a 18 year old I played blackjack at treasure island with him and was explaining to me how much money he hasd lost on Hawaii Road Warriors basketball in his lifetime lol.

The Darkman was definitely one of a kind. We talked a lot of boxing that day on the links, especially about all the home town calls Matt "The Predator" Vanda was getting in his St. Paul fights. A couple years later Dark was ringside for a Vanda fight against a much better out-of-town opponent. Vanda got pummeled for 10 rounds, but the local ref gave him the decision anyway. Dark saw me sitting about 50 feet away and gave me a little wink. No doubt he had a honeybee or two riding on Vanda that day!

Whoops, maybe this should go in boxing talk instead.