Fire Spielman

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Wolvesfan21

Fire Spielman

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

OLine is still putrid. Going on every single year he has been here. He cannot draft OLine and every year it lets the team down. The Vikes will not win a playoff game. Keep Zimmer as he doesn't have much to work with. Get a real GM.
Monster

Re: Fire Spielman

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:OLine is still putrid. Going on every single year he has been here. He cannot draft OLine and every year it lets the team down. The Vikes will not win a playoff game. Keep Zimmer as he doesn't have much to work with. Get a real GM.

I absolutely get your frustration.

O'Neill was a pretty good pick. Bradberry was supposed to be a no-brainer pick and he has been average at best as a rookie. They are still paying for nor pitting more draft resources into the line years ago. IF Bradberry improves like you would expect for a 2nd year guy and they draft another worthwhile player or 2 higher int he draft the line could look like its going in the right direction. Yes that's a lot of ifs but their last draft class has been pretty good even with Bradberry not being that great. Its possible one of their young guys from this draft class could be part of the answer. There is too much talent on this roster for me to want to dump Spielman for some other guy that might not be any better and could be much worse.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:OLine is still putrid. Going on every single year he has been here. He cannot draft OLine and every year it lets the team down. The Vikes will not win a playoff game. Keep Zimmer as he doesn't have much to work with. Get a real GM.

O'Neill was a pretty good pick. Bradberry was supposed to be a no-brainer pick and he has been average at best as a rookie. They are still paying for nor pitting more draft resources into the line years ago. IF Bradberry improves like you would expect for a 2nd year guy and they draft another worthwhile player or 2 higher int he draft the line could look like its going in the right direction. Yes that's a lot of ifs but their last draft class has been pretty good even with Bradberry not being that great. Its possible one of their young guys from this draft class could be part of the answer. There is too much talent on this roster for me to want to dump Spielman for some other guy that might not be any better and could be much worse.

IDK, We knew all offseason we were weak at guard. Oneill has been good. The rest has been avg to bad.

What sucks is that some games they are actually decent too, then some games they flop. No run blocking at all, no pass blocking. Just a complete flop some games.

I'd prefer to see Spielman gone, because on avg over his tenure he has been bad. You're right that if addressed earlier and better in past drafts, maybe the line would be as bad as it is now.

A good line switches a few of these losses into wins, giving the Vikes the number one seed. So that has been the downfall.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

IDK, We knew all offseason we were weak at guard. Oneill has been good. The rest has been avg to bad.

What sucks is that some games they are actually decent too, then some games they flop. No run blocking at all, no pass blocking. Just a complete flop some games.

I'd prefer to see Spielman gone, because on avg over his tenure he has been bad. You're right that if addressed earlier and better in past drafts, maybe the line would be as bad as it is now.

A good line switches a few of these losses into wins, giving the Vikes the number one seed. So that has been the downfall.

I think it's worth saying the Josh Kline signing was solid. This might be the first game where he has played the oline looked really bad. Has he been worth the money he signed for? Maybe not but I'd guess he is still a worthwhile upgrade to a much cheaper player.

Elf after finishing his rookie year solid has been vastly underwhelming and he is another guy that was supposed to be at worst an average starter. There is one of his teammates from OSU that's been as bad or worse.

The other thing about this line is it's built to get out in space and so it can also be easily overpowered because the players on the line in general aren't as big. So sometimes when it looks bad...it's REALLY bad. If you have better talent that's less of a problem so it's not a scheme problem every scheme or way to go brings up some downsides.

Ultimately I think the reality is you outlook of this oline is more whether or not you believe in the offensive coaches especially the oline coaches who are responsible for developing and likely have a significant hand in selecting players in the draft and otherwise. Kubiak and Dennison just got here this year and if Stefanski sticks around he will have had a year of being a full time coordinator next season. I don't have full faith in that group (not sure any team should be dying to hire Stefanski as a head coach even though I'm a fan of his) but I do think it might be reasonable to have SOME hope they can get things going the right direction. I think of Bradberry turns into a top 10 center (or maybe even top 15) next year and they add another above average guy somewhere else that would be HUGE for that line. That's not exactly a super hard thing to envision but obviously far from likely too. Lol

Having said all that...as bad as that game was and the line isn't a strength of the team by a long shot it was 1 game. I don't think the oline/offense is anywhere near that bad. Like I have said earlier this week except maybe the Saints it doesn't feel like any of these NFC teams are head and shoulders above anyone else. Yeah if the oline was better we would have some more wins and we have been saying that for a long while. This team hasn't sucked for quite a while either. That's nice to say...ask a Browns fan about possible alternatives. Lol
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

You are being way too level headed Monster. ;-)
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

The talent seems to usually be there. He has the team averaging over 9 wins a year over 15 years. They seem deep so I am guessing be with the job he is doing. I am ready to move on from Zimmer at this point though. I think we know his ceiling at this point. He doesn't seem like a coach that could ever survive without very solid talent.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Bleed- see I'm the complete opposite. I think Zimmer is doing a good job but Spielman falls short. The OLine has been bad since 2006! Really for me the last straw was the Bradford trade. Giving up a 1st round pick for him was a fireable offense. That 1st round pick should have ended up being Watson or Maholmes (assuming the Vikes lose 10 games or so which they should have).

Let's see if they can win a couple playoff games, maybe I'll change my tune.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

They felt they had a Superbowl team in 1st year of a stadium. The big issue was he had no plan B on the roster. He should have gone after someone in the offseason. We have the same issue this year behind Kirk. We lose him and we are 2-14.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

As much as I think Spielman should be fired for a lot of bad picks in the high rounds that haven't worked, there are a lot of bad GM's in football. We've consistently been a winning team with chances at playoff success ultimately coming up short, but it could be much worse. I'd be real nervous to fire him without having exactly who you want on board that you know will do a good job and I don't think there are many if any of those guys available. The tough choices are just starting for this team as more guys leave rookie deals slotted next to already we'll paid veterans. Can we just bring in a QB expert and leave that decision out of his hands since he just really doesn't pick QB's well?
Monster

Post by Monster »

When Zimmer was hired the defense was one of the worst of my lifetime. Spielman hires a guy that brought the defense back as well as well as starting to draft on that end. The Linval Joseph signing was MASSIVE in terms of making this a good team. Spielman drafted a worthwhile QB finally in Teddy and then the guy has a catastrophic knee injury just practicing. This team has been good enough to make us frustrated about wanting more. It's the way of being a Vikings fan. Zimmer...he is a solid head coach. The offense has been a problem for a few reasons some of them were beyond Zimmer's control. What exactly are we going to accomplish when it comes to hiring new people? Are they going to get one aspect right and not something else? It's likely. This team so far has scored the 7th most points in the NFL and allowed the 6th least points. That's not a bad team. Was anyone really expecting a Super Bowl run for this team this year? I wasn't. I don't think that's all there is to success either.