Fire Spielman

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Wolvesfan21

Re: Fire Spielman

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:They felt they had a Superbowl team in 1st year of a stadium. The big issue was he had no plan B on the roster. He should have gone after someone in the offseason. We have the same issue this year behind Kirk. We lose him and we are 2-14.

Problem was that Bradford simply wasn't a QB who could take the team over the top. Through his previous 6 years he was the worst starting QB in YPA and QB Rating with at least 20 starts, he never made the playoffs and was injured often. He never showed that he was good, never mind great as a starter. So the ending result was always going to be a mediocre one. Which is why trading a 1st was simply idiotic. I'd rather have that pick and take Mahomes or Watson. But that's just me.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:They felt they had a Superbowl team in 1st year of a stadium. The big issue was he had no plan B on the roster. He should have gone after someone in the offseason. We have the same issue this year behind Kirk. We lose him and we are 2-14.

Problem was that Bradford simply wasn't a QB who could take the team over the top. Through his previous 6 years he was the worst starting QB in YPA and QB Rating with at least 20 starts, he never made the playoffs and was injured often. He never showed that he was good, never mind great as a starter. So the ending result was always going to be a mediocre one. Which is why trading a 1st was simply idiotic. I'd rather have that pick and take Mahomes or Watson. But that's just me.

I guess you can rip them for not having a backup plan that year but the next season most people blasted them for even signing Case Keenum saying he was a TERIBLE backup and was a waste of money. That was a a terrific move.

It's also worth remembering that the Vikings signed Taylor Heinicke as an undrafted FA in 2015. He showed some promise and likely would have been on the roster and maybe even played in 2016 but...he did the opposite of getting his foot in the door... They did try and develop depth and they were unlucky to even have that depth. Heinicke turns 27 in March.

Personally I wouldn't have given up that much for Bradford even though I was and to some extent still am a fan of him and his talent. I would have signed one of the guys available at the time and rolled with them and Shaun Hill. On the other hand people may have ripped the Vikings for not doing more with what seemed like a really good roster. It's not easy to have a backup option at QB a lot of teams don't even have a worthwhile first option. Lol
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

I guess you can rip them for not having a backup plan that year but the next season most people blasted them for even signing Case Keenum saying he was a TERIBLE backup and was a waste of money. That was a a terrific move.

It's also worth remembering that the Vikings signed Taylor Heinicke as an undrafted FA in 2015. He showed some promise and likely would have been on the roster and maybe even played in 2016 but...he did the opposite of getting his foot in the door... They did try and develop depth and they were unlucky to even have that depth. Heinicke turns 27 in March.

Personally I wouldn't have given up that much for Bradford even though I was and to some extent still am a fan of him and his talent. I would have signed one of the guys available at the time and rolled with them and Shaun Hill. On the other hand people may have ripped the Vikings for not doing more with what seemed like a really good roster. It's not easy to have a backup option at QB a lot of teams don't even have a worthwhile first option. Lol

The depth was an issue for sure and yes, specifically giving up a 1st for Bradford when Philly was wanting to dump him was terrible. I could have lived with a 2nd rounder, but really a 3rd rounder was appropriate. Philly just drafted Wentz so they wanted nothing to do with Bradford longterm. They knew he was a bum.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

The depth was an issue for sure and yes, specifically giving up a 1st for Bradford when Philly was wanting to dump him was terrible. I could have lived with a 2nd rounder, but really a 3rd rounder was appropriate. Philly just drafted Wentz so they wanted nothing to do with Bradford longterm. They knew he was a bum.

The funny part about the Eagles/Bradford situation was how they signed him to that deal and people were all upset he got all that money and then...a couple months later when other QBs started to get paid it looked kinda/sorta good to have someone locked in for 2 years at about 17 million a year. The eagles played that surprisingly well and that team's front office had been the brunt of a number of jokes for a year or 2. I think a 2nd would have been pretty easy for me to give up for Bradford at the time. It ended up being a 1st and a 4th. Of course if Bradford has stayed healthy and not sucked the Vikings would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him but the Cards wisely cut him loose.

Cousins isn't an elite QB and his numbers make him look bette than what he is BUT he has put up some good numbers this year. He isn't some shmuck QB. Yes the Vikings are paying him but we all know you need a QB. The problem will be if we miss out on a possible true franchise guy in the draft because we have Cousins. Trading for and having Bradford had us missing on opportunities for a couple very good options. Of course the Vikings could have picked this Lamar Jackson guy the next draft. Maybe you have heard of him I think he might be pretty good. Lol
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

The funny part about the Eagles/Bradford situation was how they signed him to that deal and people were all upset he got all that money and then...a couple months later when other QBs started to get paid it looked kinda/sorta good to have someone locked in for 2 years at about 17 million a year. The eagles played that surprisingly well and that team's front office had been the brunt of a number of jokes for a year or 2. I think a 2nd would have been pretty easy for me to give up for Bradford at the time. It ended up being a 1st and a 4th. Of course if Bradford has stayed healthy and not sucked the Vikings would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him but the Cards wisely cut him loose.

Cousins isn't an elite QB and his numbers make him look bette than what he is BUT he has put up some good numbers this year. He isn't some shmuck QB. Yes the Vikings are paying him but we all know you need a QB. The problem will be if we miss out on a possible true franchise guy in the draft because we have Cousins. Trading for and having Bradford had us missing on opportunities for a couple very good options. Of course the Vikings could have picked this Lamar Jackson guy the next draft. Maybe you have heard of him I think he might be pretty good. Lol

Yeah Lamar Jackson. I was on him too. even though I liked Mayfield better. I didn't like Rosen or Darnold. Then I liked Watson personally the previous draft, (Mahomes I didn't even watch). I did and still do support the Cousins deal, so I can't totally complain about him, he's actually doing a fine job I think. He's not a superstar but he's solid. Give him a running game and some pass blocking and he will keep winning. Sadly the OLine doesn't keep performing.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:

Yeah Lamar Jackson. I was on him too. even though I liked Mayfield better. I didn't like Rosen or Darnold. Then I liked Watson personally the previous draft, (Mahomes I didn't even watch). I did and still do support the Cousins deal, so I can't totally complain about him, he's actually doing a fine job I think. He's not a superstar but he's solid. Give him a running game and some pass blocking and he will keep winning. Sadly the OLine doesn't keep performing.

And to be fair about Lamar Jackson I did think he probably needed to go to a place that was a system fit and I didn't really think that was with the Vikings. I really did think he was more of a pure QB than other people thought but I also admit I wasn't going on a ton of info. We did also have the legendary Kyle Sloter on the roster at the time so...it's weird for me to be sort of a Sloter skeptic now in relation to the people that are all in on the guy. I was a believer in him (Or at least the talent) early on.

Have you seen (watched him play at all) how Josh Allen has done this year? The stats aren't too bad and it doesn't look like he has some amazing playmakers around him or anything.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

I think its fair to say that this team's failure has plenty to do with Spielman not fixing the line. Our line has been awful for almost a decade now. Its unacceptable.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

thedoper wrote:I think its fair to say that this team's failure has plenty to do with Spielman not fixing the line. Our line has been awful for almost a decade now. Its unacceptable.

The funny part is seeing articles saying we need to draft defense this year lol. Elflein was a disaster pick that he needs to already correct. The verdict is still out on Bradbury. O'Neil is pretty much the only good O Line pick he's made to date.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Yep, Bradbury was largely below expectations even for a Rookie but he still can get stronger and improve, Elflien was very poor he needs to be a backup or gone. Kline and Reiff are OK and Oniell is the only good one.

The pressure up the middle was the main problem for sure overall. Between Bradbury and Elflien being outmatched severely in some games.
Monster

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:Yep, Bradbury was largely below expectations even for a Rookie but he still can get stronger and improve, Elflien was very poor he needs to be a backup or gone. Kline and Reiff are OK and Oniell is the only good one.

The pressure up the middle was the main problem for sure overall. Between Bradbury and Elflien being outmatched severely in some games.

I was noticing the PFF rankings for the lineman they showed when they did introductions of the offense. If you believe in those the oline was actually pretty solid outside of Bradbury. For example Elf was ranked like 18th or something like that and everyone e else was about there. Like I said to my friend during the game how many points of grade separates rank #15 from #27 or whatever.

Maybe it could have been worse...the previous game there was a play where Nick Easton came in as an extra lineman and completely whiffed and therefore gave up a tackle for a loss. Lol

I'm not suggesting this line is good enough. It clearly isn't. It's the weakness of the team but it also probably isn't TERRIBLE. The problem is that it's not good enough and what are we doing with a guy like Reiff? Next year are we going to have a solid backup tackle like We had with Hill this year? Bradberry becoming average would really help this unit a lot.