Troy Aikman on Patrick Mahomes: 'Talk to Me When He Has 33% of My Super Bowl Titles'

General NFL News
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Troy Aikman on Patrick Mahomes: 'Talk to Me When He Has 33% of My Super Bowl Titles'

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/troy-aikman-patrick-mahomes-talk-150618962.html

I liked Troy Aikman, but never thought of him as one of the best QBs of his era. Marino, Elway, or Jim Kelly were better in my opinion.
Monster

Re: Troy Aikman on Patrick Mahomes: 'Talk to Me When He Has 33% of My Super Bowl Titles'

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/troy-aikman-patrick-mahomes-talk-150618962.html

I liked Troy Aikman, but never thought of him as one of the best QBs of his era. Marino, Elway, or Jim Kelly were better in my opinion.

As a Vikings fan I HATED the cowboys BUT Aikman I think was a good player even though he was in an awesome offense and doesn't have the big stats. I used to like him as a commentator but he has dropped off for me somewhat. Saying all that comparing Mahomes to Aikman statistically is quite frankly...dumb. Different era's different roles. I can't blame Aikman for saying something even though he doesn't need to IMHO. He isn't saying anything to Mahomes. I get you have to compare players to understand greatness but I also think you can just appreciate greatness of the past and present and possible future.

Re: Troy Aikman on Patrick Mahomes: 'Talk to Me When He Has 33% of My Super Bowl Titles'

I loved Aikman growing up, but I wouldn't put Aikman in my top ten of QB's in the league of my lifetime. I liked the Cowboys team because they beat the Packers, but I never felt he was the best QB in the league at any point. If Troy played in todays NFL he would likely would have been a career backup after his first 3 years in the league. He was pretty bad. In today's game that would have been enough to call him a bust. Think worse than Mitchell Trubisky type bust.

Remember Steve Walsh? .
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I loved Aikman growing up, but I wouldn't put Aikman in my top ten of QB's in the league of my lifetime. I liked the Cowboys team because they beat the Packers, but I never felt he was the best QB in the league at any point. If Troy played in todays NFL he would likely would have been a career backup after his first 3 years in the league. He was pretty bad. In today's game that would have been enough to call him a bust. Think worse than Mitchell Trubisky type bust.

Remember Steve Walsh? .

Aikman a career backup? Come on now.

I am saying in this age he wouldn't have gotten as long of a leash. He was Ryan Leaf bad as a rookie throwing 6% of his passes as INTs. Nobody would stick with a QB that bad for 3 years today.

Who would you want as your QB after 3 years?

QB1 - 33 TD's and 40 INT's
QB2 - 31 TD's and 46 INT's
QB3 - 36 TD's and 44 INT's
QB4 - 56 TD's and 37 INT's

Aikman was a good game manager on a great team. Comparing QB's from that era he doesn't stand out in any way other then wins. You could have put Brad Johnson or Rich Gannon on those teams and done as well. Oddly both of those journeyman SB QB passed for my TD's, had less INTs, higher TD%, and lower INT%.

QB1 was Jeff George
QB2 was Blake Bortles
QB3 was Rick Mirer
QB4 was Mark Rypien
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I am saying in this age he wouldn't have gotten as long of a leash. He was Ryan Leaf bad as a rookie throwing 6% of his passes as INTs. Nobody would stick with a QB that bad for 3 years today.

Who would you want as your QB after 3 years?

QB1 - 33 TD's and 40 INT's
QB2 - 31 TD's and 46 INT's
QB3 - 36 TD's and 44 INT's
QB4 - 56 TD's and 37 INT's

Aikman was a good game manager on a great team. Comparing QB's from that era he doesn't stand out in any way other then wins. You could have put Brad Johnson or Rich Gannon on those teams and done as well. Oddly both of those journeyman SB QB passed for my TD's, had less INTs, higher TD%, and lower INT%.

QB1 was Jeff George
QB2 was Blake Bortles
QB3 was Rick Mirer
QB4 was Mark Rypien

Well...Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon aren't career backups.

One stat that would be interesting to see for a lot of guys over multiple decades is average length of pass on interceptions. I remember a few years ago it was brought up that a couple top QBs in the league most of their interceptions were basically long punts on 3rd or 4th down throws. I remember Aikman took long shots down the field at times with his big WRs so there MIGHT be something there but who knows.

Also I get you are being hyperbolic but Ryan Leaf was a POS human being. Aikman is pretty highly regarded all around and that's a pretty massive difference for the position of QB.

How many years was Aikman the QB of a top 5 offense? You are telling me he was really just Trent Dilfer? I'm not buying it. Is Aikman somewhat overrated because he was on terrific teams and won a bunch of super bowls? Sure. The guy wasn't a backup that happened to fall into his situation.

Side note. It was always funny when people would be pumped to pick him in fantasy football back in the day. They hadn't done their homework or knew how fantasy football worked...or both! Lol

monsterpile wrote:

Well...Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon aren't career backups.

One stat that would be interesting to see for a lot of guys over multiple decades is average length of pass on interceptions. I remember a few years ago it was brought up that a couple top QBs in the league most of their interceptions were basically long punts on 3rd or 4th down throws. I remember Aikman took long shots down the field at times with his big WRs so there MIGHT be something there but who knows.

Also I get you are being hyperbolic but Ryan Leaf was a POS human being. Aikman is pretty highly regarded all around and that's a pretty massive difference for the position of QB.

How many years was Aikman the QB of a top 5 offense? You are telling me he was really just Trent Dilfer? I'm not buying it. Is Aikman somewhat overrated because he was on terrific teams and won a bunch of super bowls? Sure. The guy wasn't a backup that happened to fall into his situation.

Side note. It was always funny when people would be pumped to pick him in fantasy football back in the day. They hadn't done their homework or knew how fantasy football worked...or both! Lol

I didn't say Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon were career backups. I was comparing them statistically to Aikman. I think the Cowboys would have been just as good or better.. The area that he probably shined was leadership. That team was a crazy bunch.

I think today you see QBs come in and succeed faster. No QB today would have survived with Aikman's type of numbers.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

Aikman was probably the weakest link on that team. He was decent but with that Oline and running game he really didn't have to do much. That defense was really good too, for years. Really, the Oline made those teams. You could drive a wide load semi truck through those holes the line made. Irvin was really solid as well.

Hey, give him credit for getting it done, but at the same time, I think most NFL starters could have as well. He managed the team.

Put Aikman and Emmitt on any other team and they don't win any superbowls.

WolvesFan21 wrote:Aikman was probably the weakest link on that team. He was decent but with that Oline and running game he really didn't have to do much. That defense was really good too, for years. Really, the Oline made those teams. You could drive a wide load semi truck through those holes the line made. Irvin was really solid as well.

Hey, give him credit for getting it done, but at the same time, I think most NFL starters could have as well. He managed the team.

Put Aikman and Emmitt on any other team and they don't win any superbowls.

I worked with a guy that claimed he had the most rushing yards in the country his senior year in high school. Emmitt Smith was second. When he met Emmitt he knew who he was.

https://sports.theonion.com/total-fucking-idiot-wont-shut-up-for-entire-football-ga-1820698264?utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=SF&utm_content=Main&fbclid=IwAR11eHSqzs_Teyjhzc8a0BTBx8Oowp-3eh_OAfwfZrwCYgkDeL9jX0lFwy4