Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TAFKASP

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by TAFKASP »

TeamRicky wrote:Van Gundy, Thibs and Brooks are my top 3 choices. Yes, maybe Glen isn't as dumb as we think. OK, Sam is being considered, but I think that's just a gesture. Honestly, I really like Sam as a person and would love to keep him in the organization somewhere.

Agreed, I'm a big fan of Sam's! I would love to see him remain on the bench as an assistant to a top notch head coach!
worldK

Post by worldK »

This is good news. If Van Gundy, Thibs or jeorger express interest in the job, no way sam is going to be retained. Its nice to see taylor realizing that the wolves are red hot right now and is going to be able to attract a top notch coach.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

I hope it's an exhaustive search that looks at many candidates. I truly believe there are a lot of good options out there. The next coach doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for us.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

George Karl just became available!!!

Just kidding, he is available but better not be an option.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:I hope it's an exhaustive search that looks at many candidates. I truly believe there are a lot of good options out there. The next coach doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for us.

But who helps Glen make that decision? I don't trust Glen's basketball IQ enough to suss out the next Brad Stevens versus a pretender. That's why I kind of think he ends up going with a more known commodity like Thibs, JVG, Brooks, Joerger, or - gulp - Mitchell.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Q12543 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:I hope it's an exhaustive search that looks at many candidates. I truly believe there are a lot of good options out there. The next coach doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for us.

But who helps Glen make that decision? I don't trust Glen's basketball IQ enough to suss out the next Brad Stevens versus a pretender. That's why I kind of think he ends up going with a more known commodity like Thibs, JVG, Brooks, Joerger, or - gulp - Mitchell.

I'm pretty confident that the search itself will remove Smitch from consideration. I don't believe a legitimate search wouldn't rule him out and I'm equally confident Glenn is unlikely to go that far against the advice of the people he hired. Further, the fact that he's even hired this company suggests he's been getting plenty of behind the scenes advice saying a change is needed. The dominos are IMO stacked against Mitchell returning at this point.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Q12543 wrote:

Korn Ferry's proprietary algorithm will spit out our next coach!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
TheSP wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Yes, great news. But I have to nitpick here, the search firm iscalled Korn Ferry? KORN FERRY? WTF?

Would you rather they be named Katy Perry?

That's a pretty damn well-regarded search firm. I can see why one would cringe a bit if hearing their name for the first time though!

Q can you elaborate on your knowledge of the search firm?
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

BizarroJerry wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

Korn Ferry's proprietary algorithm will spit out our next coach!

Katy Perry doesn't spit. Wait, sorry, I'm confused again...
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
TheSP wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Yes, great news. But I have to nitpick here, the search firm iscalled Korn Ferry? KORN FERRY? WTF?

Would you rather they be named Katy Perry?

That's a pretty damn well-regarded search firm. I can see why one would cringe a bit if hearing their name for the first time though!

Q can you elaborate on your knowledge of the search firm?

Korn Ferry has been around for a long time and specialize in executive leadership searches - filling C-suite roles at bigger companies. While I didn't know this previous to Glen's engagement with them, apparently they have experience filling NFL and NBA front office roles, so the world of pro sports franchises is not new to them.