Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
BloopOracle

Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by BloopOracle »

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15198405/minnesota-timberwolves-opening-search-head-coach

The Minnesota Timberwolves will begin a search for a new president and head coach on Thursday and it will not include interim head coach Sam Mitchell or general manager Milt Newton, sources told ESPN.com.

Team owner Glen Taylor spoke with Mitchell and Newton Wednesday to give them the news, sources said. Newton is expected to stay on until the new front office leadership is established and could remain with the organization. The team is expected to make an announcement following their season finale Wednesday night.

Taylor hired search firm Korn Ferry to aide in the process and the Wolves are expected to be very aggressive in going after top candidates. With their young talent, another high draft pick and salary-cap space, the Wolves believe they have a premier job opening and plan to target top candidates.

It is possible they will make two hires or hire a coach who has oversight over the front office as Flip Saunders did before he passed away last October, sources said.

The Wolves are expected to reach out to Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks, a former Timberwolves player, as part of the process, sources said. Thibodeau has been interested in returning to the sidelines in a position where he could have some say in personnel matters.

I wonder if he will stay on in some way?
TAFKASP

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by TAFKASP »

Nice, very, verrry, verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice!
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

At the risk of upsetting LST, GREAT NEWS!

I really did not expect Sam Mitchell to be back. But the recent wins and positive talk from the players was getting me a wee bit concerned...
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

He just tweeted that Dave joeger will also be in consideration and he would be my number 2 guy
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Yes, great news. But I have to nitpick here, the search firm iscalled Korn Ferry? KORN FERRY? WTF?
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I don't necessarily trust Windhorst as a reporter, but I am glad to hear this, obviously.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

BizarroJerry wrote:Yes, great news. But I have to nitpick here, the search firm iscalled Korn Ferry? KORN FERRY? WTF?

Would you rather they be named Katy Perry?
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--timberwolves-planning-coaching-search-that-will-include-sam-mitchell-202028470.htmlSources: Timberwolves planning coaching search that will include Sam Mitchell

The Minnesota Timberwolves are planning to engage in a coaching search that will include interim coach Sam Mitchell as part of the process, league sources told The Vertical.
The Timberwolves are targeting the elite coaches on the market, including Jeff Van Gundy, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks, league sources said.

Minnesota has the potential to be the most attractive job opening on the market, largely because of the presence of presumptive Rookie of the Year Karl-Anthony Towns and a core of young talent.

Minnesota owner Glen Taylor has engaged with a prominent search firm to help gauge the potential for giving a coach full autonomy and letting him build out the front office, league sources said. The search firm has been identifying both coaching and management candidates, sources said. Taylor is intrigued with the Stan Van Gundy model in Detroit that has helped return the Pistons to the playoffs, sources said.

Milt Newton is the Wolves' general manager, but it is unclear if a new coach will answer to him - or if he'll answer to a new coach, sources said. Newton worked under the late Flip Saunders, who had full control of basketball operations and coached the Timberwolves. Saunders died in October.

Mitchell has the support of Wolves veteran Kevin Garnett, whose endorsement does have impact with Taylor. Garnett is expected to eventually have an ownership stake in the team upon his retirement.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

TheSP wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Yes, great news. But I have to nitpick here, the search firm iscalled Korn Ferry? KORN FERRY? WTF?

Would you rather they be named Katy Perry?

That's a pretty damn well-regarded search firm. I can see why one would cringe a bit if hearing their name for the first time though!
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

Van Gundy, Thibs and Brooks are my top 3 choices. Yes, maybe Glen isn't as dumb as we think. OK, Sam is being considered, but I think that's just a gesture. Honestly, I really like Sam as a person and would love to keep him in the organization somewhere.