The next coach of the minnesota timberwolves is?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: The next coach of the minnesota timberwolves is?

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:Let's see how things play out before going on suicide watch here.

Early in the season when he Wolves were playing well a few of us were wondering if maybe Sam was the guy for the job beyond this year. A few weeks later Sam and the team looked dead in the water. For a few weeks now the team has played better basketball and it's been doing it leaning more on the young players than ever. If they keep playing the way they have been this latest stretch yeah I could see Sam keeping his job. It's also possible this team goes into another tailspin. Let's see how it plays out.

I get people want an upgrade from Mitchell but I still don't have a guy I feel really solid on with one possible exception. I don't feel like some of the young up and comers are a no brainer. I don't feel like some of the other guys that have been fired are no brainers. To me the only guy Insee and an absolute no brainer and that's Thibs. I'm really warming up to that idea but it does feel like a pipe dream to a certain extent. Thibs has some warts too but Intend to think he has done so much positive he is obviously the best coach available and he coaches defense which looks to be the biggest issue for this team right now. Now don't get me wrong there are probably a number (maybe a large number) of coaches that are better than Sam but other than Thibs nobody really strikes me but I am just a fan.

One last thought. It's a players league. Jon K. A few weeks ago came out with a bombshell about how over half the team had 3 main issues with Sam and the coaching staff. What are the players feeling now? Who has sway or is speaking up? Has Sam and his staff changed their approach some? Have the players seen some of what Sam and his staff were attempting to do actually did make sense and more on board? Idk but it's something I think will either matter before the decision is made or down the line later if Sam keeps the job and if he isn't the guy to take this team to the next level.

What if the Wolves keep Sam and bring in a defensive guru which is what many wanted to see happen last offseason and or another top level assistant coach?

Sam won't listen to him. Same NEVER consults with his assistants during timeouts. I've never seen anything so like it from another NBA head coach. I've even watched Sam wave off assistants this season when they tried to approach him during timeouts.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

If the way Sam has jacked Zach around all year was the only thing he did wrong, it would still be enough to fire him. Then you consider:
- The ridiculous substitution patterns
- The fact he never takes any accountability
- Having one of the worst defenses in the league
- His disdain for and treatment of the media
- Single handedly costing us about a dozen games this year.

You would have to be an insane idiot to bring him back for even one more year. The fact this is even being discussed sickens me.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I cannot imagine Sam being retained as head coach beyond this season. My world would be shattered, depression would set in, and I do not know if I could muster the internal fortitude to continue on as a fan of the Minnesota Timberwolves...
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote:I cannot imagine Sam being retained as head coach beyond this season. My world would be shattered, depression would set in, and I do not know if I could muster the internal fortitude to continue on as a fan of the Minnesota Timberwolves...

You can watch some KAT videos to cheer you up.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

At this point I think the biggest problem for Sam is even if he were to have success next season as HC, the fans who've paid attention to his coaching this season would always be of the opinion that the success would be greater with someone else in that position.

Sadly drama seems to rule the day with this team, during good times and bad.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:If the way Sam has jacked Zach around all year was the only thing he did wrong, it would still be enough to fire him. Then you consider:

You would have to be an insane idiot to bring him back for even one more year. The fact this is even being discussed sickens me.

You think the Wolves should be 30 - 28 right now?
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

The Kaplan effect can not happen soon enough.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:If the way Sam has jacked Zach around all year was the only thing he did wrong, it would still be enough to fire him. Then you consider:

No, you don't win every game you should or could win. And a different coach wouldn't change that.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

No, you don't win every game you should or could win. And a different coach wouldn't change that.

I guess I don't quite understand.

I took it that you think Mitchell cost the Wolves 12 wins. So, other coaches would cost fewer games? 4, 6 or whatever?

Do coaches ever help teams win games they shouldn't win? Does Popovich cost his teams wins? Kerr?
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:

I guess I don't quite understand.

I took it that you think Mitchell cost the Wolves 12 wins. So, other coaches would cost fewer games? 4, 6 or whatever?

Do coaches ever help teams win games they shouldn't win? Does Popovich cost his teams wins? Kerr?

Definitely. No coach is perfect, but it's not unreasonable to think a different coach would have us sitting with a better record. TO BE FAIR, you're taking one point out of context and over dramatizing it.