Wolves Trades?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
kekgeek

Re: Wolves Trades?

Post by kekgeek »

Lipoli390 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:52 pm
Tactical unit wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:23 am 3 team trade idea between MN, TOR & NY

NY gets KAT, S. Milton

TOR gets M. Robinson, E. Fournier, W. Moore, J. Minott, MN 2024 1st

MN gets P. Siakam, D. Schroder, 4x 1sts from NY (Wash & DET protected 24 1sts & NY 26 & 28 1st)
We can’t trade our 2024 first except until draft night when we can make the pick and then trade the player we pick. So maybe you’re thinking about a draft night trade. I’ll just note that it’s highly unlikely we’d ever receive the Washington or Detroit first-round picks based on the protections on those picks and trajectory of those two teams. That means we’d effectively be trading KAT and Minott for Siakam, Schroder and New Yorks 2026 and 28 first-round picks. I don’t think that trade makes us better.
As long as we get a first back in 2024 back in a trade we can trade our 24 1st. Just so you know
Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

I still can't get there with the idea of any trades. We are still the #1 seed in the West. We gotta give this group some rope. They are going through a little dip. This is where the coach needs to pull these guys together and get them back on track. We have all observed how losing quickly becomes a (bad) habit. We also saw how winning can become a habit to start this year too. This is a talented team but they are not firing on all cylinders as of late.

The concerns being raised by people on here are valid. Anderson doesn't look the same this year. McDaniels is not justifying our (substantial) investment in him. Shake played himself out of the rotation. Towns has fallen off after a hot streak. And the young guys (Miller/Minott) still look like they are still a long way away. But...it's a long season and there are going to be ebbs and flows. Unless this team falls hard, I just can't justify making any big moves myself. Let these guys try to get themselves back on track.

Our last 10 games were are 6-4. If that's as bad as it gets, I can live with it.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Doing some spitballing...

Unless the Wolves are trying to address some of next seasons financial issues, it's hard to see them trading any of their rotational pieces.

I think Q has mentioned Delon Wright before, and he makes a ton of sense. A trade of Shake and Moore Jr would get it done. TC might need to include a 2nd rounder to get the deal done. It makes sense for the Wolves - add a veteran guard to provide depth behind Conley and Jmac, something Shake has not been able to provide in the Wolves environment. Washington gets something for a player who is likely gone after this season and gives Shake an opportunity without the pressure of winning, and Moore Jr who is also a young player who might benefit from a new environment. They would have control of Shake with a team option next year, and Moore is under contract with a team option for the following year. They have an open roster spot when Diallo's 10-day contract is up to take on the extra player.

The Wolves would have 13 players under contract, and still have enough $s under the luxury tax to sign someone off the buyout market. Someone like McDermott might just be such a candidate...
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

60WinTim wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:15 pm Doing some spitballing...

Unless the Wolves are trying to address some of next seasons financial issues, it's hard to see them trading any of their rotational pieces.

I think Q has mentioned Delon Wright before, and he makes a ton of sense. A trade of Shake and Moore Jr would get it done. TC might need to include a 2nd rounder to get the deal done. It makes sense for the Wolves - add a veteran guard to provide depth behind Conley and Jmac, something Shake has not been able to provide in the Wolves environment. Washington gets something for a player who is likely gone after this season and gives Shake an opportunity without the pressure of winning, and Moore Jr who is also a young player who might benefit from a new environment. They would have control of Shake with a team option next year, and Moore is under contract with a team option for the following year. They have an open roster spot when Diallo's 10-day contract is up to take on the extra player.

The Wolves would have 13 players under contract, and still have enough $s under the luxury tax to sign someone off the buyout market. Someone like McDermott might just be such a candidate...
Nice idea Tim. I mentioned Wright in the offseason, but Monster mentioned him more recently, which is what prompted me to revisit the idea of getting him.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I keep pondering the financial mess the Wolves are staring at next season. The biggest salary hog is KAT. And if you trade him by the deadline you avoid having his huge salary increase ever hit the books, making your financial life much more manageable next season. But we have seen TC willing to let things play out and pull a rabbit out of his hat when it counts. One thing in his favor is next year's forecast cap numbers are based on a "conservative" 4.4% increase, but it could easily be more (capped at 10% by the CBA).

Anyway, I have a hard time seeing a financial move being made now given how well the team is playing. So here is one more spitball: Bones Hyland.

The Clippers are not using him. They don't have an open roster spot to use in the buyout market. The Wolves have a trade exception, open roster spot, and space below the luxury tax to absorb Bones' salary. So a 2nd rounder for Bones works.

It would mean we lose our open roster spot and cap flexibility to be a player in the buyout market. So I don't know if I would do it. One thing we know is TC is very familiar with Bones, having drafted him in Denver.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:31 pm I keep pondering the financial mess the Wolves are staring at next season. The biggest salary hog is KAT. And if you trade him by the deadline you avoid having his huge salary increase ever hit the books, making your financial life much more manageable next season. But we have seen TC willing to let things play out and pull a rabbit out of his hat when it counts. One thing in his favor is next year's forecast cap numbers are based on a "conservative" 4.4% increase, but it could easily be more (capped at 10% by the CBA).

Anyway, I have a hard time seeing a financial move being made now given how well the team is playing. So here is one more spitball: Bones Hyland.

The Clippers are not using him. They don't have an open roster spot to use in the buyout market. The Wolves have a trade exception, open roster spot, and space below the luxury tax to absorb Bones' salary. So a 2nd rounder for Bones works.

It would mean we lose our open roster spot and cap flexibility to be a player in the buyout market. So I don't know if I would do it. One thing we know is TC is very familiar with Bones, having drafted him in Denver.
If we could get Bones for a second round pick we should do it.

I’ve been warning about the 2nd-apron cliff for a long time and advocated repeatedly for trading Rudy or possibly even KAT to avoid that cliff. But as the team with the best record in the West at the half-way point of the season, the Wolves simply can’t (and won’t) trade Rudy, KAT, Ant, Jaden, Conley or Naz by the trade deadline. The organization has to be all in on pursuing a championship this season and they means keeping at least those six players and probably also Slo Mo and NAW as well.

Getting a players like Bones for no more than a future 2nd-round pick would be a coup for this team.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

Lipoli390 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 am
60WinTim wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:31 pm I keep pondering the financial mess the Wolves are staring at next season. The biggest salary hog is KAT. And if you trade him by the deadline you avoid having his huge salary increase ever hit the books, making your financial life much more manageable next season. But we have seen TC willing to let things play out and pull a rabbit out of his hat when it counts. One thing in his favor is next year's forecast cap numbers are based on a "conservative" 4.4% increase, but it could easily be more (capped at 10% by the CBA).

I’ve been warning about the 2nd-apron cliff for a long time and advocated repeatedly for trading Rudy or possibly even KAT to avoid that cliff. But as the team with the best record in the West at the half-way point of the season, the Wolves simply can’t (and won’t) trade Rudy, KAT, Ant, Jaden, Conley or Naz by the trade deadline. The organization has to be all in on pursuing a championship this season and they means keeping at least those six players and probably also Slo Mo and NAW as well.

Getting a players like Bones for no more than a future 2nd-round pick would be a coup for this team.
I don't get the love for Bones. Where does this come from? If we want a sub-optimal scorer off the bench that can't get minutes, let's just give Shake Milton another shot at it. What is Bones better at than Shake? He's definitely a worse defender.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Q-is-here wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:54 am
Lipoli390 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 am

I don't get the love for Bones. Where does this come from? If we want a sub-optimal scorer off the bench that can't get minutes, let's just give Shake Milton another shot at it. What is Bones better at than Shake? He's definitely a worse defender.
Well, "love" for Bones might be a little strong...

Bones is more of a PG than Shake. He is 4 years younger and only had one and a half years with Denver before being traded to the Clippers where he has languished behind more veteran players on a team that is desperately trying to win. It sure seems there is more potential upside with Bones than there is with Shake.

Also, TC drafted Bones in Denver, and after taking over in Minnesota was reportedly trying to trade for Bones at the deadline last year, but Denver took the Clipper offer instead. I was just pointing out the circumstances in place that could lead to TC trying to acquire him again.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

I should also add that after seeing both play at various times, Bones has more "zip" than Shake.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

I get the Denver connection to Bones, but having watched him play, there is no way he would get playing time on the best team in the West.

I tend to agree with Carlos that we're probably just going to roll with what we have. If there is a cheap way to add a shooter or PG depth, I'm all for it, but I wouldn't be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for Bones.