Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Post by KG4Ever »

kekgeek wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:49 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:45 pm
kekgeek wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:07 pm Tyus to the suns for 3.3 million
Makes sense for Tyus. He’ll instantly be the starting PG for a talented Suns team that will at least make the playoffs and could possible be a title contender if they stay healthy. I’m bummed the Wolves didn’t get him, but he would have been Conley’s backup for the Wolves. He’ll be a starter with the Suns. Monte Morris will be a good backup for them. We chased Monte away by drafting Dilly. I still think drafting Dilly was the right move because we needed to add high end talent and a successor to Mike Conley for the reboot after next season when we’ll have to shake things up a bit to get below the second apron. TC had to make a move with an eye towards Wolves 2.0 because that next version of the Wolves is only a year away or two at the most.
Agreed 100% sucks we didn’t get Tyus but we got a higher upside player in Dilly and it’s not like wolves didn’t try. Sounds like Tyus was deciding between Suns, Grizzlies and us so it is what it is
Maybe, he's a higher upside guy but Dilly is a higher downside guy too and he cost us our last significant draft capital.
Last edited by KG4Ever on Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:50 pm
kekgeek wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:07 pm Tyus to the suns for 3.3 million
Makes sense for Tyus. He’ll instantly be the starting PG for a talented Suns team that will at least make the playoffs and could possible be a title contender if they stay healthy. I’m bummed the Wolves didn’t get him, but he would have been Conley’s backup for the Wolves. He’ll be a starter with the Suns. Monte Morris will be a good backup for them. We chased Monte away by drafting Dilly. I still think drafting Dilly was the right move because we needed to add high end talent and a successor to Mike Conley for the reboot after next season when we’ll have to shake things up a bit to get below the second apron. TC had to make a move with an eye towards Wolves 2.0 because that next version of the Wolves is only a year away or two at the most.
I do like Mike Conley, but he's a team guy and wants to win a title more than anything, so maybe he'd accept a backup role or a reduced role (essentially a minute timeshare) to get Tyus here.
Maybe. But I’m don’t think the Wolves organization would have asked that of Conley. If I had been in TC’s shoes I might have asked Mike to accept the backup role, but I don’t think the real TC did.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Tyus is essentially a one year rental this year for any team he signed for. He wants to get paid. The Wolves would be a terrible spot a year from now with just Conley and a departing Tyus.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:54 pm
KG4Ever wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:50 pm

I do like Mike Conley, but he's a team guy and wants to win a title more than anything, so maybe he'd accept a backup role or a reduced role (essentially a minute timeshare) to get Tyus here.
Maybe. But I’m don’t think the Wolves organization would have asked that of Conley. If I had been in TC’s shoes I might have asked Mike to accept the backup role, but I don’t think the real TC did.
I think between Conley and Tyus they would have been able to work out playing time. Conley I think would have seen the value in playing less and Tyus would have respected Conley being a starter while also getting 10-20 starts while Conley was injured or resting. Tyus could even play with Conley some. The problem is when would Dillingham play? I don’t think they want him to just sit around and maybe play a game here or there when Conley sits kinda like MLB teams don’t want their top prospects being part time players so they keep them in the minors so they play everyday.

The Suns simply had a better opportunity than the Wolves. There is value in that and having a roster spot open. There can be value in going for high end players and having to fill in the gaps because sometimes players will go there knowing there is a clear path to play. This is another reason why it’s not all bad to trade away draft picks either. We just experienced the having to pay to get rid of a guy that was dead weight. It happens even to good organizations.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Phenom wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:24 pm Tyus is essentially a one year rental this year for any team he signed for. He wants to get paid. The Wolves would be a terrible spot a year from now with just Conley and a departing Tyus.
If Tyus signed here, he might have been here longer. I don't know all the contract rules, but there has to be a way to get him enough and its not like his market was high to begin with. He's too old for rebuilding teams and most established teams have their point guards or might not be able to offer more money. Maybe Tyus was holding out for too much money and money dried up.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

The one thing that is interesting about the Tyus number is Naz and NAW contract numbers might be super reasonable because of the new CBA. The new CBA killed the middle class of the NBA and the wolves in my opinion can’t pay Naz more than 20 million a year or it’s a massive overpay in my books
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

KG4Ever wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:02 am
Phenom wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:24 pm Tyus is essentially a one year rental this year for any team he signed for. He wants to get paid. The Wolves would be a terrible spot a year from now with just Conley and a departing Tyus.
If Tyus signed here, he might have been here longer. I don't know all the contract rules, but there has to be a way to get him enough and its not like his market was high to begin with. He's too old for rebuilding teams and most established teams have their point guards or might not be able to offer more money. Maybe Tyus was holding out for too much money and money dried up.
Wolves would not have his bird rights if he signed with the wolves so he could only get a small raise next offseason if theoretically he signed with the wolves
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

kekgeek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:19 am
Wolves would not have his bird rights if he signed with the wolves so he could only get a small raise next offseason if theoretically he signed with the wolves
The Wolves could've signed him for the minimum for 2 years and then an early bird 8 percent raise after that. After a third season he'd have full bird and could get paid. I don't see how Tyus would be down for that.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

kekgeek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 1:19 am
Well, not sure the market will turn that much in Tyus's favor, but I think there was a way to get Tyus more money had he been a higher priority. Maybe, if we had gotten Tyus instead of Monte at the trade deadline, we could have gotten him a longer term deal. Had we signed Conley for less or not done the RD deal, I am not sure how much we could have offered Tyus. Maybe, all the contending teams have tied up money in starting point guards, so that we could keep him with a moderate salary.

Also, next year both Naz and NAW might leave and perhaps that frees up money. Perhaps, also Rudy agrees to turn down his option for a lower base salary spread over more years. While the Tyus dream ended for this year, could it be resurrected for next year as wouldn't the Suns also not have his bird rights and may not be able to offer him as much as we can. Ideally, we could restructure Rudy, resign Naz and have enough to offer Tyus more money via an MLE should we want to add him to our roster.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Recall that Washington wanted a first round pick for Tyus at the deadline, which the Wolves did not have available until draft night. Also he made a considerable amount more than Monte did at the time. Shake and TBJ would not have been enough to get Tyus financially so that means adding in Kyle, Naz or NAW. The odds have just been stacked against him coming here.