Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Post by Lipoli390 »

The Wolves have 14 roster players for next season, although Dozier’s contract isn’t guaranteed until January I believe. I wouldn’t expect the Wolves to carry 15 roster players because they never do and they understandably like to keep some flexibility by holding the 15th slot open. That suggests to me that the Wolves won’t be signing a veteran free agent PG.

I’d still like to believe the Wolves will add a veteran backup PG to start the season. Right now there are four intriguing candidates: Tyus Jones, Dennis Smith Jr., Markelle Fultz, and John Wall. I’m not sure how many teams, if any, are in a position to pay any of these guys more than the vet minimum. That suggests they’d be interested in teams that could win a championship or teams on which they could play a lot and showcase their talent to help secure a lucrative contract next summer.

Tyus Jones is the only one among these four who I’d love to sign and I think he’d be interested in coming back to his home state to be part of a championship contender if he would the starting PG. I just don’t see him coming here for the vet minimum in what would obviously be a backup role. Smith and Fultz seem like fairly realistic options. I’m sure they both want to start to showcase their talents since they’re both still relatively young. However, I don’t see any they could sign with that would likely make them their starting PG. Given Mike Conley’s age and injury history, I could see one of those two viewing the Wolves as a pretty good opportunity for minutes while also getting the chance to play for a contender. The easy one would be John Wall. He loves Dilly and all but asked the Wolves to sign him during a summer league broadcast. We could probably sign him on a non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract. I don’t know whether he has any game left in him, but he has some impressive video highlights from the season before last - not that long ago. He turns 34 in September, so he’s shouldn’t be physically shot if he’s been keeping himself in shape.

So I’d make a run at signing Tyus just because you have to at least ask. I might then take a shot at Smith and Fultz in that order. If none of those prove gettable, then I’d sign Wall. I might just sign Wall right after striking out on Tyus.
Monster

Re: Will The Wolves Sign a Veteran PG?

Post by Monster »

Some other names to consider some more realistic than others and some deserving more consideration than others.

Devonte Graham
Talen Horten Tucker (hasn't turned 24 yet)
Eric Bledsoe
Frank Ntilikina (makes less sense especially if Nix can defend at the NBA level and Dozier is a pretty similar player too)
Kendrick Nunn
Elfrid Payton
Lance Stephenson

Some of these guys on the list aren't guys I would want to sign to start the season but some of them I would be like hey if we realize 15 or whatever games in we might need a vet guy that at least knows how to play there will probably be options of someone that would sign any contract to get another shot at being in the league. I also listed some of these guys as a reminder there might be another guy out there we have forgotten about.

Ultimately I think the Wolves are gonna go with what they have unless some pretty good player is willing to sign for cheap. I know they have lots of young options at other positions but what if they need a solid big due to injuries and the young guys just aren't up to the task? I kinda hate not filling that 15th spot but I understand why they are unlikely to do so especially with a vet player.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Some Wizards guy on Twitter, Troy Haliburton, claiming that Tyus and the Wizards overplayed their hand and now Tyus will be looking to the Wolves and Grizz with the Suns and Hawks also interested. All 4 would be minimum deals. The case for Minnesota is an older Conley and an unproven Dilly. Memphis has an unreliable Ja and older Smart. Suns have Monte but Beal and Booker complicate the backcourt minutes. Hawks might be the clearest path to a role behind Trae and he may even be traded at some point.

A minimum Tyus is a great deal.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Tyus to the suns for 3.3 million
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:07 pm Tyus to the suns for 3.3 million
Suns went from having basically zero PGs last year to adding Monte Morris and Tyus Jones both for the vet min. Wowzers.

Tyus deserves way more money but the Suns are a pretty good landing spot for him.

Now all the Sun have to do is stay healthy.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Seeing that Tyus took a minimum deal has me bummed a bit as to why TC didn't figure a way to get him on our roster. Phoenix not only got Tyus but Monte Morris, both for the minimum. I'm a bit envious. Phoenix gets a lot better at point guard and I am not convinced we are any better at point in the short term, but could be worse given Conley's age and RD likely a net liability for at least a year or two.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Monster wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:05 pm
Suns went from having basically zero PGs last year to adding Monte Morris and Tyus Jones both for the vet min. Wowzers.

Tyus deserves way more money but the Suns are a pretty good landing spot for him.

Now all the Sun have to do is stay healthy.
Yeah, a healthy Suns team coached by Bud and seeking revenge on the Wolves is a team I don't want to face in Round 1.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Makes sense for Tyus. He’ll instantly be the starting PG for a talented Suns team that will at least make the playoffs and could possible be a title contender if they stay healthy. I’m bummed the Wolves didn’t get him, but he would have been Conley’s backup for the Wolves. He’ll be a starter with the Suns. Monte Morris will be a good backup for them. We chased Monte away by drafting Dilly. I still think drafting Dilly was the right move because we needed to add high end talent and a successor to Mike Conley for the reboot after next season when we’ll have to shake things up a bit to get below the second apron. TC had to make a move with an eye towards Wolves 2.0 because that next version of the Wolves is only a year away or two at the most.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:45 pm
Makes sense for Tyus. He’ll instantly be the starting PG for a talented Suns team that will at least make the playoffs and could possible be a title contender if they stay healthy. I’m bummed the Wolves didn’t get him, but he would have been Conley’s backup for the Wolves. He’ll be a starter with the Suns. Monte Morris will be a good backup for them. We chased Monte away by drafting Dilly. I still think drafting Dilly was the right move because we needed to add high end talent and a successor to Mike Conley for the reboot after next season when we’ll have to shake things up a bit to get below the second apron. TC had to make a move with an eye towards Wolves 2.0 because that next version of the Wolves is only a year away or two at the most.
Agreed 100% sucks we didn’t get Tyus but we got a higher upside player in Dilly and it’s not like wolves didn’t try. Sounds like Tyus was deciding between Suns, Grizzlies and us so it is what it is
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Lipoli390 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:45 pm
I do like Mike Conley, but he's a team guy and wants to win a title more than anything, so maybe he'd accept a backup role or a reduced role (essentially a minute timeshare) to get Tyus here.