One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Coolbreeze44

Re: Vikings at Giants GDT

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Sam Darnold for President
Monster

Re: Vikings at Giants GDT

Post by Monster »

I was optimistic about Darnold coming into the season. This if the most talent he has had around him and likely the best coaching. He started off hot his first year with the Panthers and then it started going downhill around the time McCafffrey got hurt and I think someone else was hurt too. He had a number of rushing TDs as well. This game showed some reasons to get excited about him. The oline in this game wasn't terrible protecting him overall. He also made some throws under pressure. Jones sure looks good at RB.

Meanwhile the defense has a real chance to be better than last year especially if guys stay healthy. The CBs are likely to be better this year. Moureu is a backup and he might have been an upgrade over Evans. Gilmore and Griffin should be easy upgrades. Meanwhile the pass rush talent is also upgraded. Turner is a backup and Jihad Ward is a pretty good depth guy. In addition I think all the pass rush guys fit the system more than the guys that left. Ideally the pass rushers they brought in in FA stay healthier than Davenport. There are still injury concerns on this defense but in some key areas there is more depth.

Looking back at last year the Giants D was pretty bad but it's also fair to point out the offense was really bad too which doesn't help a defense. I had thought their D was better than that. So yeah it might have just been against the Giants but early in the season you take any win you get. Teams don't play their top players much in preseason and so it leads to sloppy games early on and you also don't know for sure what teams are good.

One issue facing the team in Addison's ankle and possible suspension. I think the Vikings have some solid depth at WR but Addison is likely a pretty big upgrade from those other guys. With Hockenson still out it would be good to have him healthy.