Spring Training 2017

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Spring Training 2017

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

khans2k5 wrote:Well unless we just have one of the best lineups in the league I think we are looking at the cellar again due to the rotation. I'm just amazed they continue to not address the biggest need on the team for years now. Hopefully the bullpen is good otherwise hello bottom of the standings again. It's a pitching league and we consistently have no pitching.

I'm afraid I agree with this take...I just don't see sufficient pitching to improve that much this year, UNLESS...Sano and Buxton fully live up to their enormous hype, and our other hitters hit at the top end of their range.

I'm heartened by the presence of new decision makers though, and hope that leads to some out of the box thinking. I suspect the new regime will not be as patient to a highly-paid guy like Philip Hughes because they aren't the ones who signed him. If it were me, I would have both Berrios and Gonsalves in the rotation...if not at the start of the year, at least certainly by June. They both have shown top of the rotation stuff in the minors, and we need to see if that can translate to the majors. How great would this rotation be if Santana and Gibson turned out to be our 3rd and 4th starters?
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:Well unless we just have one of the best lineups in the league I think we are looking at the cellar again due to the rotation. I'm just amazed they continue to not address the biggest need on the team for years now. Hopefully the bullpen is good otherwise hello bottom of the standings again. It's a pitching league and we consistently have no pitching.

I'm afraid I agree with this take...I just don't see sufficient pitching to improve that much this year, UNLESS...Sano and Buxton fully live up to their enormous hype, and our other hitters hit at the top end of their range.

I'm heartened by the presence of new decision makers though, and hope that leads to some out of the box thinking. I suspect the new regime will not be as patient to a highly-paid guy like Philip Hughes because they aren't the ones who signed him. If it were me, I would have both Berrios and Gonsalves in the rotation...if not at the start of the year, at least certainly by June. They both have shown top of the rotation stuff in the minors, and we need to see if that can translate to the majors. How great would this rotation be if Santana and Gibson turned out to be our 3rd and 4th starters?

Absolutely the Twins lack top end starting pitching and it's the biggest concern for me going forward. The problem with getting top end pitching is it's a 100 loss team. Everyone has to overpay for top end pitching. The Twins? Good luck with that. Dealing Dozier or other prospects to get one was another option but there was no deal there. Let's remember the rotation looks about the same if healthy as it did a couple years ago when they sniffed close enough to .500 to give some positive momentum. At this point you have to hope for:

1. Top prospects turn into good starters.

2. A guy like Hughes steps up and pitches well either for this team to have a guy worthwhile through the end of his contract or to deal him to some team hoping to compete and getting back some at least moderately worthwhile prospects.

Again this team is in a tough spot. They have some vets and they a bunch of young prospects and players. Many of the top guys haven't really established themselves yet. If Sano and Buxton don't turn out to be pretty good players...it's bad news folks.

I'll add that signing Castro (and that other vet catcher if he makes the roster) could be big for pitchers. It will be interesting if the Twins can upgrade their defense this year at all. It's hard to see how it can get much worse than last year. Buxton in CF all year could be a big upgrade to the defense. If the Twins somehow could be better catching the ball and not making terrible mistakes in the field that would help the pitching as well. I'm not hoffifucaly optimistic there outside of catcher and CF but that's something at some point this team could improve going forward to help the pitching look better.
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

How good of a fielder is Nick Gordon? I really am concerned about Sano at 3rd.

Nice write-up on starting pitching. Honestly if we could get sold #2 pitcher seasons out of Santa and Hughes, Solid #3 pichters out of Gibson, Berrios, and Santiago. I am afraid though we will get and sold #2 starter out of Santa and a bunch of 5th starters.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/02/will-emerge-competition-twins-starting-rotation-meet-candidates/
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:How good of a fielder is Nick Gordon? I really am concerned about Sano at 3rd.

Nice write-up on starting pitching. Honestly if we could get sold #2 pitcher seasons out of Santa and Hughes, Solid #3 pichters out of Gibson, Berrios, and Santiago. I am afraid though we will get and sold #2 starter out of Santa and a bunch of 5th starters.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/02/will-emerge-competition-twins-starting-rotation-meet-candidates/

I've heard some questions about Gordon's ability as a SS the bat is supposed to translate.

My favorite part of the article you posted (thanks) is this:

-Some teammates are calling him El Gato Grande, which is Spanish for the big cat. Some teammates, I'm told, have shortened that even further and simply are calling him "Garfield."

Vogelsong intruiges me. He is a guy with a ton of experience and was pretty successful as a national league pitcher. This team hasn't had much success with National league starting pitchers. He seems like a good vet guy that should be able to hold down a end of the rotation spot at least if healthy.

Hughes is a guy that if healthy he has some seasons where at worst he would be a heck of a #4 starter. Your point about having basically a bunch of 5th starters is pretty valid though. If Santiago could last more than about 5 innings he would be more than that but that was part of the problem with Milone too. Santiago has a better resume than Milone though but yeah.

Some people question whether the Twins should have or should deal Santana. Well if you deal him you better get something worthwhile in return more than just some somewhat interesting prospects. At some point you can always have so many prospects. The Twins lost 2 at least instersting prospects in Stuart and Walker. Until there is reason to move him to get another guy in the rotation you may has well keep him unless you get something really good in return.

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:How good of a fielder is Nick Gordon? I really am concerned about Sano at 3rd.

I've heard some questions about Gordon's ability as a SS the bat is supposed to translate.

-Some teammates are calling him El Gato Grande, which is Spanish for the big cat. Some teammates, I'm told, have shortened that even further and simply are calling him "Garfield."

Vogelsong intruiges me. He is a guy with a ton of experience and was pretty successful as a national league pitcher. This team hasn't had much success with National league starting pitchers. He seems like a good vet guy that should be able to hold down a end of the rotation spot at least if healthy.

Hughes is a guy that if healthy he has some seasons where at worst he would be a heck of a #4 starter. Your point about having basically a bunch of 5th starters is pretty valid though. If Santiago could last more than about 5 innings he would be more than that but that was part of the problem with Milone too. Santiago has a better resume than Milone though but yeah.

Some people question whether the Twins should have or should deal Santana. Well if you deal him you better get something worthwhile in return more than just some somewhat interesting prospects. At some point you can always have so many prospects. The Twins lost 2 at least instersting prospects in Stuart and Walker. Until there is reason to move him to get another guy in the rotation you may has well keep him unless you get something really good in return.

Monster, can you remember where you heard some questions about Gordon defensively? Most of what I have heard about hi as a defensive SS has been very positive, and I think the Twins expect him to stick at SS and be their future there. Here's an excerpt form his A ball season in 2015:

"Nick's defense at SS is where Nick really solidifies his status as a top prospect. He's not Andrelton Simmons, but he will stick at SS in the big leagues, a huge plus for any young player. Gordon, a former pitcher, can throw the ball up to 94 MPH across the diamond and couples that arm strength with soft hands, good instincts and quick feet.

Further, while Gordon does not have elite speed, he stays low and athletic while fielding and gets tremendous reads on the ball. Overall, he is a very smooth fielder, which shows in his numbers. Gordon's .960 fielding average is tops in the Midwest League among players with at least 35 games at SS."

Pretty solid writeup from the 2015 season, and I haven't seen anything to make me think he slipped last season. I think he should be our SS for a long time starting perhaps in 2018.

Forgot about losing Walker.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Monster, can you remember where you heard some questions about Gordon defensively? Most of what I have heard about hi as a defensive SS has been very positive, and I think the Twins expect him to stick at SS and be their future there. Here's an excerpt form his A ball season in 2015:

"Nick's defense at SS is where Nick really solidifies his status as a top prospect. He's not Andrelton Simmons, but he will stick at SS in the big leagues, a huge plus for any young player. Gordon, a former pitcher, can throw the ball up to 94 MPH across the diamond and couples that arm strength with soft hands, good instincts and quick feet.

Further, while Gordon does not have elite speed, he stays low and athletic while fielding and gets tremendous reads on the ball. Overall, he is a very smooth fielder, which shows in his numbers. Gordon's .960 fielding average is tops in the Midwest League among players with at least 35 games at SS."

Pretty solid writeup from the 2015 season, and I haven't seen anything to make me think he slipped last season. I think he should be our SS for a long time starting perhaps in 2018.

It was on Twitter I know Wolfson has mentioned some concern but I don't know if that's from him or sources. I think there was another media person that was saying something about he wasn't a wizard at the position but I can't remember who. This scouting report give the concerns. It points out possible lack of range which is what I remember being the concern I remember. No guy is a perfect prospect.

http://www.bhscouncil.com/2016/nick-gordon-named-minnesota-twins-top-prospect-by-baseball-america/
Monster

Post by Monster »

Interesting. I don't think I knew this guy existed before reading this.

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/td-top-prospects-1-fernando-romero-r5376

monsterpile wrote:Interesting. I don't think I knew this guy existed before reading this.

http://twinsdaily.com/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/td-top-prospects-1-fernando-romero-r5376

I love Romero, monster, and see him as a potential top of the rotation starter along with (my #1) Stephrn Gonsalves and Louis Thorpe...and some others I can't think of right now. The Twins could have a really good staff in 2-3 years.

What happened to Kohl Stewart?