Butler requests trade...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
AbeVigodaLive

Re: Butler requests trade...

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

A lot of NBA moves don't pan out.

I think the trade for Butler was a worthy effort to bring winning to a terrible, terrible NBA franchise that hadn't even been above .500 for 10+ years. It didn't pan out because of an ogre of a coach, a dick of a star player and probably some immaturity from other players... or many other reasons. But it wasn't a foregone conclusion. And
it's not like the guys traded in that deal are thriving at this point.

The shoe will ultimately drop. And Thibs and others will be held accountable. But the move itself made sense... a calculated risk.

I know I liked it better than when a non-basketball guy working as GM decided to recreate a New York Knicks backcourt from 1972 with two players who were nothing like those two players...
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:A lot of NBA moves don't pan out.

I think the trade for Butler was a worthy effort to bring winning to a terrible, terrible NBA franchise that hadn't even been above .500 for 10+ years. It didn't pan out because of an ogre of a coach, a dick of a star player and probably some immaturity from other players... or many other reasons. But it wasn't a foregone conclusion. And

The shoe will ultimately drop. And Thibs and others will be held accountable. But the move itself made sense... a calculated risk.

I know I liked it better than when a non-basketball guy working as GM decided to recreate a New York Knicks backcourt from 1972 with two players who were nothing like those two players...

Level headed Abe. I'm with you here. I just hope to god that Taylor doesn't become gunshy to all calculated risks moving forward whether Thibs is taking those risks or someone else. That really would send us back to the dark years.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

monsterpile wrote:The way some are portraying the Butler deal is we are getting nothing from him in a trade. We are gonna get something. If Thibs and Layden can get a 1st round pick for Rubio they can get something worthwhile for Jimmy Butler. The idea that Thibs and Glen have been all in on winning ASAP isn't completely accurate either. Both guys wanted to win but they also made moves to keep the future in play. The draft pick that is Josh Okogie is probably the most significant example.

I think keeping Wiggins has been an example too of not going all in for winning now. They've taken a lot of heat for that move here and around the basketball world.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Couldn't agree more with this post
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

kekgeek1 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:If you didn't see this coming from a mile away - you're a fucking idiot.

We are in a cap crunch because Thibs went all in while the best team ever was already assembled. It was never long term - it was Thibs trying to save his own ass for the long term.

Andrew Wiggins: 25,467,250
Gorgui: $15,170,787
KAT: 7,839,435
Tyus: 2,444,053
Deng: 1,512,601
Rose: 1,512,601
Nunnally: 1,349,383
Rubio: 14,975,000
Dunn: 4,221,000
Lavine: 19,500,000
Markannan: 4,536,120
KBD: 838,464
10th pick this year: 3,552,960
Kevin Martin: 1,360,305
Cole Aldrich: 685, 341

Total: 100,744,300
So we are just under the cap figure and next year we would go into the lux tax giving KAT his 23 million dollar raise, also would have to resign Ricky and Tyus would be up for free agency.

So where is this magical cap space you talk about that would be here if we didn't do the Butler trade.

Well done Kek.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

kekgeek1 wrote:

Agreed. Also, Tyus, Dieng, KAT and Wiggins finally got to play games in late March and April that actually mattered. None of them had ever experienced that before in the NBA! That must count for something versus piling up season after season of losing basketball.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Q12543 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:
TheFuture wrote:If you didn't see this coming from a mile away - you're a fucking idiot.

We are in a cap crunch because Thibs went all in while the best team ever was already assembled. It was never long term - it was Thibs trying to save his own ass for the long term.

So we are just under the cap figure and next year we would go into the lux tax giving KAT his 23 million dollar raise, also would have to resign Ricky and Tyus would be up for free agency.

So where is this magical cap space you talk about that would be here if we didn't do the Butler trade.

Well done Kek.

Nobody who saw where the league was trending is giving dieng that contract. Rubios contract also falls off after this season. While we are keeping all our picks and at least have two viable options to replace him. Now we have one promising backup and no starter. No cap + 5 lottery picks > our current situation.

Should I remind you that shabazz turned down a huge offer from Thibs?
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Q12543 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Agreed. Also, Tyus, Dieng, KAT and Wiggins finally got to play games in late March and April that actually mattered. None of them had ever experienced that before in the NBA! That must count for something versus piling up season after season of losing basketball.

Getting your head beat in by a top seed team is worthwhile? If anything it cements the idea that you're nowhere close and only compounds the hurt when you look at the situation and see you have no wiggle room..

You overhaul when you know what you have and know it won't work. We weren't there yet. There is no middle ground. We made a trade without knowing what we had, and screwed the pooch.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

TheFuture wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Getting your head beat in by a top seed team is worthwhile? If anything it cements the idea that you're nowhere close and only compounds the hurt when you look at the situation and see you have no wiggle room..

You overhaul when you know what you have and know it won't work. We weren't there yet. There is no middle ground. We made a trade without knowing what we had, and screwed the pooch.

Wait. What?

Does Chicago know what it has in LaVine and Dunn? No trade is made with a crystal ball. If LaVine doesn't make great strides soon... this could be a lose-lose type of trade.

Just out of curiosity... how long have you been following Wolves basketball?
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

TheFuture wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
kekgeek1 wrote:

Well done Kek.

Nobody who saw where the league was trending is giving dieng that contract. Rubios contract also falls off after this season. While we are keeping all our picks and at least have two viable options to replace him. Now we have one promising backup and no starter. No cap + 5 lottery picks > our current situation.

Should I remind you that shabazz turned down a huge offer from Thibs?

I don't disagree that the Gorgui contact is terrible, can't argue that. People make mistakes, that is probably Thibs biggest mistake but that has nothing to do with the Butler trade. If we didn't do the Butler trade we would have 2 above average players in Kat and Rubio and Rubio is still in the 10-15th best PG in the league and he is an above average player but he is at a position where there is a glut of talented players.

Rubio also is a free agent next year in a time where a lot of teams have cap space, and he is in the same tier of PG as Holiday, Hill, Teague so he will want to get paid.

Our organization would be in a lot of trouble being one of the best teams in the league not making the playoffs year after year after year. Our franchise would need to hit on 2 late lottery picks to make us a legit contender. We would also be at the lux tax praying that the potential is reached.

The Butler trade did not work, but it was a good gamble adding a top 15 player in the league, Thibs believed that KAT could become a top 10 player and Wiggins could become an all star. Those things did not happen, some blame goes on Thibs for being wrong and the development did not happen, but it was gamble now we can hit the reset button with the assets we get back from Butler and hitting the Lottery again this year with cap space going forward.