Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Monster »

WolvesFan21 wrote:KAT's biggest issue is his over aggressiveness on defense. He led the league in fouls last season, not sure about this one. He just needs to wall up vertically and rebound. Quit trying to block everything and fouling guys. Just make the other guy take a tough shot. He can be a solid defender if he simply stops fouling TOO much. Maybe he is also out of position too often as well, I'd be happy just seeing him clean up his fouling issue. Thats usually 2 free points plus he gets put on the bench too much. It's just a killer.

His fouling is a problem and the last couple years some are because of offensive fouls. FWIW his foul rate dropped from over 4 back down to 3.5 which isn't exactly THAT terribleifyou look at what some other players known for their ability to play defense have when it comes to per 36 numbers. They just don't play enough to be up there to "lead the league in fouls". Towns did a much better job earlier in the season walking up just doing his job while actually making some reads. I think the system actually gave him more time to decide what he should and shouldn't do and it sorta worked...for a while. Playing next to Juancho who is sorta the same type of guy (Obviously MUCH less talented) a player with nice skills and some ability and even has SOME areas where he has feel for game But From what I've gathered is lacking in the nuances especially on the defensive end of the floor.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

monsterpile wrote:
WolvesFan21 wrote:KAT's biggest issue is his over aggressiveness on defense. He led the league in fouls last season, not sure about this one. He just needs to wall up vertically and rebound. Quit trying to block everything and fouling guys. Just make the other guy take a tough shot. He can be a solid defender if he simply stops fouling TOO much. Maybe he is also out of position too often as well, I'd be happy just seeing him clean up his fouling issue. Thats usually 2 free points plus he gets put on the bench too much. It's just a killer.

His fouling is a problem and the last couple years some are because of offensive fouls. FWIW his foul rate dropped from over 4 back down to 3.5 which isn't exactly THAT terribleifyou look at what some other players known for their ability to play defense have when it comes to per 36 numbers. They just don't play enough to be up there to "lead the league in fouls". Towns did a much better job earlier in the season walking up just doing his job while actually making some reads. I think the system actually gave him more time to decide what he should and shouldn't do and it sorta worked...for a while. Playing next to Juancho who is sorta the same type of guy (Obviously MUCH less talented) a player with nice skills and some ability and even has SOME areas where he has feel for game But From what I've gathered is lacking in the nuances especially on the defensive end of the floor.

If he dropped down this season a bit that is a good sign. Like I said I hadn't looked at the numbers from this year. Maybe not having an idiot for a coach works too. If we looked at his defensive numbers pre-tank they were actually really good. When the Wolves were 10-7 or whatever. My gut tells me that Rosas and Co. had a tank meeting of some sort, because the team fell part after that and lost a shit load in a row if I am remembering correctly. All the sitting of guys for mysterious injuries and such.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Getting back to draft talk:

Thoughts on Deni Avdija and Aleksej Pokusevski? Talent/potential, fit with our team, and where you'd take them?
JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157]

Post by JasonIsDaMan [enjin:7981157] »

Not the foremost authority here, but maybe KAT's foul issues are from getting the rotation done too late rather than being there too early and and touching the arm on a block attempt?

As far as the draft, my mine has not changed. The Wolves biggest problem is their #2 thru #6 posts. KAT's scoring can keep pace with his defensive issues. Much like.....Dirk.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

TheFuture wrote:Getting back to draft talk:

Thoughts on Deni Avdija and Aleksej Pokusevski? Talent/potential, fit with our team, and where you'd take them?

I really like Deni. He has PG skills in a 6'9, 220 pound body. Like LaMelo Ball, his shooting is a question mark based on his shooting percentages. But his form looks good and he's still only 19 years old, so I can seen his shooting coming around. I'd say the same for LaMello. What I really love about Deni are his basketball IQ, which is super high, his defense and his toughness. He's a really smart player with a great feel for the game and he's a tough, aggressive defender. He has a lot of toughness and swagger. I've watched all the video I could find on him and love watching him play. My favorite is the video of him and Mike Schmitz reviewing film on Deni. I highly recommend that video because it really highlights Deni's tremendous basketball IQ. Deni and Okongwu are my two favorites for the Wolves right now if Edwards and Ball aren't available when the Wolves pick. I'm still not sure where Wiseman will end up on my draft board for the Wolves. Right now, I'm concerned about reports questioning his competitiveness and love of the game.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

lipoli390 wrote:

I really like Deni. He has PG skills in a 6'9, 220 pound body. Like LaMelo Ball, his shooting is a question mark based on his shooting percentages. But his form looks good and he's still only 19 years old, so I can seen his shooting coming around. I'd say the same for LaMello. What I really love about Deni are his basketball IQ, which is super high, his defense and his toughness. He's a really smart player with a great feel for the game and he's a tough, aggressive defender. He has a lot of toughness and swagger. I've watched all the video I could find on him and love watching him play. My favorite is the video of him and Mike Schmitz reviewing film on Deni. I highly recommend that video because it really highlights Deni's tremendous basketball IQ. Deni and Okongwu are my two favorites for the Wolves right now if Edwards and Ball aren't available when the Wolves pick. I'm still not sure where Wiseman will end up on my draft board for the Wolves. Right now, I'm concerned about reports questioning his competitiveness and love of the game.

Doesn't remind you of a more athletic Saric. I know it might be a lazy comp being both Euro small ball bigs probably in their NBA career. But his shooting really worries me are we really going to draft another guy who just can't shoot and his FT percentage is bad also what worries me. I like the talent of Avdija but I dont know if the wolves are really afford to draft a guy who is a complete project with his shot for the 3rd straight year. If the Wolves do draft him though I won't be extremely upset.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

Anybody else interested in Vassell?

In a draft full of probably role players (at best), Vassell seems to fit a valuable role and he seems like a relatively safe bet.

He looks like a good, rangy defender who can get blocks and steals and guard a pretty decent range of guys at various positions on the floor. He looks a little light and I wish he were a couple inches taller, but he seems to use his arms well defensively, a quick disruptor who shifts into transition naturally off the turnover. Plus, with DLo and KAT, we need all the defenders we can get.

I like his 3 point shooting, which is really the most important skill in the NBA today. I'm a little worried about his FT%, but he's consistently shot the 3 ball well at a decent volume over a couple seasons. Again, every team should try to get get 3 point shooting from every player on the floor, and given Okogie and Culver's limitations as shooters, we could really use a 3&D guy who can actually do both.

I'm just starting to look through all these guys, but early on, I think I like Vassell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYx2X0Rpw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ZtJw1k3bk
Monster

Post by Monster »

kekgeek1 wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:

Doesn't remind you of a more athletic Saric. I know it might be a lazy comp being both Euro small ball bigs probably in their NBA career. But his shooting really worries me are we really going to draft another guy who just can't shoot and his FT percentage is bad also what worries me. I like the talent of Avdija but I dont know if the wolves are really afford to draft a guy who is a complete project with his shot for the 3rd straight year. If the Wolves do draft him though I won't be extremely upset.

I may have to go back and look at more film but I remember months ago some people Posted and were excited about him and I read some scouting reports and I got a bit excited...then I watched videos...looked like a nice role player to me. I didn't see a guy that was a possible PG type...but that was a different time. Lol
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Will Aaron Nesmith be there at 16? Wouldnt he be a no brainer in that spot? I dont see anyway this kid wont be an asset in the NBA. 69% TS at legit usage 26%. Im not sure even the Timberwolves could ruin his shot.
SameOldNudityDrew

Post by SameOldNudityDrew »

thedoper wrote:Will Aaron Nesmith be there at 16? Wouldnt he be a no brainer in that spot? I dont see anyway this kid wont be an asset in the NBA. 69% TS at legit usage 26%. Im not sure even the Timberwolves could ruin his shot.

I like what I'm seeing just looking over his basics. I still like Vassell more for the defense especially, but I could see a world in which it's not crazy to potentially take both.

Unrelated thought:

Anyone else hope we DON'T get a top 3 pick? The starting salary for the #1 pick is over 12 million a year. Usually those rookie deals are great because they give a team so much control, but that's a lot of money for a guy who is likely to be kind of *meh*. I'd rather get Vassell at 5 or 6 than have to pay him much more, and I don't think I want Ball or Wiseman. I guess you could hope someone would think they would be worth it and trade down with them, but the chances you'd find the right taker would be low, right?