KAT trade ideas

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: KAT trade ideas

Post by Lipoli390 »

Wolvesfan21 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:05 pm KAT's been spewing self propaganda since day 1, it's just gotten more delusional. I think many athletes are probably egomaniacal and nutty though. I don't think it effects his trade value.

I think deep in side he is actually jealous of Jokic and the Nuggets. How he downplayed them and their team, their Chip. He could be Jokic right now and he's the same basic player he was 5-6 years ago. Jokic keeps getting better. KAT just talks.

It's like being a sore loser. It's easier to downplay the loss (playoff loss to them) then accept the pain and get to work.
That’s pretty good psychoanalysis. KAT is like an overgrown child in a lot of ways. So he says dumb stuff and this is how he’s reacting from his jealousy of Jokic. When you think about it, Jokic is KAT with a higher basketball IQ and a more mature approach to the game.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

KAT’s delusion makes it really hard for me to respect him. Confidence and even over-confidence I can deal with. Having no self awareness is troubling to me.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:59 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:11 pm
Wolvesfan21 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:05 pm KAT's been spewing self propaganda since day 1, it's just gotten more delusional. I think many athletes are probably egomaniacal and nutty though. I don't think it effects his trade value.

I think deep in side he is actually jealous of Jokic and the Nuggets. How he downplayed them and their team, their Chip. He could be Jokic right now and he's the same basic player he was 5-6 years ago. Jokic keeps getting better. KAT just talks.

It's like being a sore loser. It's easier to downplay the loss (playoff loss to them) then accept the pain and get to work.
I think it affects his value because what players look at this and say, "get me KAT?" Dame Lillard wants to win and win now. Does he really look at KAT and think he's ready to do that? Jimmy Butler is proof that you can be an egomaniac and it doesn't affect your perception but that's because he backs up his words. KAT doesn't and it makes everyone on the outside very opposed to risking their prime and their career and with GM's, their jobs on him. KAT's a Jersey guy and any fan of a NY team will be furious if he's a Knick or Net.

If Ant said half the stuff KAT says only to underachieve, we'd be shopping him too. KAT has to take a major look in the mirror and realize that he won't be viewed any differently than Kelly Tripucka when it's all said and done if he keeps this up.
KAT seems to lack self-awareness and he says dumb stuff — not offensive, nasty, hateful stuff — just dumb stuff that hurts no one other than himself. I agree KAT needs to take a long look in the mirror, recognize his shortcomings and find some humility. But so much of the negative narratives about KAT are ridiculous. Jon K appropriately called out Kendrick Perkins for going too far in his reaction. But Kendrick’s comment about KAT not existing weren’t nearly as ignorant as many of the fan comments posted in response. One comment said that “all KAT can do well is shooting three-point shots.” How dumb is that?! He’s a tremendous low-post scorer and has a terrific dribble drive game. He’s a good rebounding. He’s also a good and improving passer. And while I know it doesn’t fit the popular narrative, KAT has improved his defense. Moreover, the only two times he’s had decent talent around him - two seasons ago and back when Jimmy was here — the team made the playoffs. And two seasons ago he didn’t have any all-star caliber players on the roster with him. Winning 46 games that season was mainly because of KAT.

So yes, KAT says stupid things and continues to do needlessly dumb things, including too much whining on the court. But he’s an all-star player in his prime who is a highly productive, versatile and efficient scorer even as he consistently draws double teams. Will his dumb comments diminish his trade value? I doubt it. Most NBA executives are smart enough to know that his comments are irrelevant to his value as a teammate. The tangential characteristics basketball executives worry about are drug issues, not caring (e.g., Darko), not staying in shape (Zion), and truly bad behavior (e.g. Ja Morant). We have to hope that TC is smart enough not to put KAT on the trade block in a panic over any of the stuff KAT says. While I have my concerns about TC, I’m confident he’s smart enough not to do that. I do think KAT should be traded this summer if Gobert isn’t. But my view has nothing to do with KAT’s awkward and silly comments. It’s a function of the impending luxury tax cliff and the fact that KAT is one of only three players on our roster (along with Ant and Jaden) who would likely bring back a huge return. Only Ant would bring back a bigger return.

While you're not wrong, we've all run into guys kinda like KAT in real life. There's only two way to get these comments to stop: either he backs up his words or he beats the ever loving crap outta the players who feel that way about him, but he's gonna continue to get treated this way until KAT wants it to change. Are these comments crazy? To an extent, but this what builds perception. It's not fair, but this franchise doesn't know what fair is because whether it's KAT or Glen, or Connelly, or all the screw ups that came before us, they make it very easy for this franchise to get treated this way.

As for the financial aspect of it, that's another reason why he gets treated this way. If he was truly worth $60 mil a year, nobody would treat him this way. It's that many people do think he has the potential to be a game changer and doesn't because they think his temperament is all wrong. With Zion, you figure you get him a personal trainer, a new team, a new regimen and that fixes itself. With Ja you hope time away makes him wanna change what's bothering him in life and address whatever his demons are (because they seem fixable). With KAT, how do you fix soft? After 8 years I think many people have conceded that this is who KAT is and nobody wants to have to drag a softie making supermax money to a title and feel like they shouldn't have to carry a supermax player to a title.
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:40 am
Lipoli390 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:59 pm
WildWolf2813 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:11 pm

I think it affects his value because what players look at this and say, "get me KAT?" Dame Lillard wants to win and win now. Does he really look at KAT and think he's ready to do that? Jimmy Butler is proof that you can be an egomaniac and it doesn't affect your perception but that's because he backs up his words. KAT doesn't and it makes everyone on the outside very opposed to risking their prime and their career and with GM's, their jobs on him. KAT's a Jersey guy and any fan of a NY team will be furious if he's a Knick or Net.

If Ant said half the stuff KAT says only to underachieve, we'd be shopping him too. KAT has to take a major look in the mirror and realize that he won't be viewed any differently than Kelly Tripucka when it's all said and done if he keeps this up.
KAT seems to lack self-awareness and he says dumb stuff — not offensive, nasty, hateful stuff — just dumb stuff that hurts no one other than himself. I agree KAT needs to take a long look in the mirror, recognize his shortcomings and find some humility. But so much of the negative narratives about KAT are ridiculous. Jon K appropriately called out Kendrick Perkins for going too far in his reaction. But Kendrick’s comment about KAT not existing weren’t nearly as ignorant as many of the fan comments posted in response. One comment said that “all KAT can do well is shooting three-point shots.” How dumb is that?! He’s a tremendous low-post scorer and has a terrific dribble drive game. He’s a good rebounding. He’s also a good and improving passer. And while I know it doesn’t fit the popular narrative, KAT has improved his defense. Moreover, the only two times he’s had decent talent around him - two seasons ago and back when Jimmy was here — the team made the playoffs. And two seasons ago he didn’t have any all-star caliber players on the roster with him. Winning 46 games that season was mainly because of KAT.

So yes, KAT says stupid things and continues to do needlessly dumb things, including too much whining on the court. But he’s an all-star player in his prime who is a highly productive, versatile and efficient scorer even as he consistently draws double teams. Will his dumb comments diminish his trade value? I doubt it. Most NBA executives are smart enough to know that his comments are irrelevant to his value as a teammate. The tangential characteristics basketball executives worry about are drug issues, not caring (e.g., Darko), not staying in shape (Zion), and truly bad behavior (e.g. Ja Morant). We have to hope that TC is smart enough not to put KAT on the trade block in a panic over any of the stuff KAT says. While I have my concerns about TC, I’m confident he’s smart enough not to do that. I do think KAT should be traded this summer if Gobert isn’t. But my view has nothing to do with KAT’s awkward and silly comments. It’s a function of the impending luxury tax cliff and the fact that KAT is one of only three players on our roster (along with Ant and Jaden) who would likely bring back a huge return. Only Ant would bring back a bigger return.

While you're not wrong, we've all run into guys kinda like KAT in real life. There's only two way to get these comments to stop: either he backs up his words or he beats the ever loving crap outta the players who feel that way about him, but he's gonna continue to get treated this way until KAT wants it to change. Are these comments crazy? To an extent, but this what builds perception. It's not fair, but this franchise doesn't know what fair is because whether it's KAT or Glen, or Connelly, or all the screw ups that came before us, they make it very easy for this franchise to get treated this way.

As for the financial aspect of it, that's another reason why he gets treated this way. If he was truly worth $60 mil a year, nobody would treat him this way. It's that many people do think he has the potential to be a game changer and doesn't because they think his temperament is all wrong. With Zion, you figure you get him a personal trainer, a new team, a new regimen and that fixes itself. With Ja you hope time away makes him wanna change what's bothering him in life and address whatever his demons are (because they seem fixable). With KAT, how do you fix soft? After 8 years I think many people have conceded that this is who KAT is and nobody wants to have to drag a softie making supermax money to a title and feel like they shouldn't have to carry a supermax player to a title.
I'm not sure he is soft per say. He is a bit mentally delusional and mentally fragile sometimes. I guess you could call that soft. The whining at times after fouls and break downs emotionally.

He is inconsistent in big/playoff games. One 30-10 game followed by a 10 point 6 fouls game. That is the biggest problem. He's not in the top tier of players because of it. You want to be a real superstar bring it every night and dominate.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

I think the following comment by Tim Hardaway Sr is very fair. Note that Tim mentions Ant and the entire Wolves team, which I also think is fair. Bottom line is that this organization is far from building the sort of Miami Heat or Golden State Warrior culture that’s typically associated with championship contenders. There’s a lack of seriousness, mental toughness and accountability that pervades the Wolves organization. I’ve mentioned as one example Ant coming to camp last fall fat and out of shape. Other than Jaden, I haven’t heard about Wolves players working out together. Apparently, Ant is working out in Atlanta, but what’s he doing and who from the organization is down there with him? More importantly, what’s he eating? Did the Wolves hire a personal chef and trainer to work with him this summer? Rudy’s in France sitting in dark rooms. Last season he whined about fans booing. And KAT is showing up on podcasts talking about himself in glowing terms that reveal and embarrassing lack of self-awareness. Meanwhile, we don’t hear anything from TC except for his revelation a few weeks ago that everything from now on is about building around Ant. Duh!

Tim Hardaway Sr. rips Karl-Anthony Towns: Who are these people saying that you changed the game? You need to win playoff games

Tim Hardaway Sr. on Karl-Anthony Towns saying he changed the game: Who are these people saying that you changed the game with the way you played? First of all, you need to win playoff games. You got four playoff wins in 12 tries, zero series wins. You go out there and you average 23 points, 11 rebounds per game, you’re playing well, he’s a good NBA player but he doesn’t make anybody better on his team, it’s all about him at times. He tries to show up the referees instead of going out there to play team basketball. Sometimes he’s out there and you don’t even see him, you don’t even know that he’s out there. I think he needs to have a reality check and he needs to work on his game a little bit more and making his teammates better and having a better season. In Minnesota, they just talk too much, all of them. Anthony Edwards talks, Karl-Anthony Towns talks, some other players, they talk. They just need to shut up and go out there and play basketball. They just need to go out there to play and try to win games. 1 day ago – via YouTube
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Lipoli390 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:06 pm I think the following comment by Tim Hardaway Sr is very fair. Note that Tim mentions Ant and the entire Wolves team, which I also think is fair. Bottom line is that this organization is far from building the sort of Miami Heat or Golden State Warrior culture that’s typically associated with championship contenders. There’s a lack of seriousness, mental toughness and accountability that pervades the Wolves organization. I’ve mentioned as one example Ant coming to camp last fall fat and out of shape. Other than Jaden, I haven’t heard about Wolves players working out together. Apparently, Ant is working out in Atlanta, but what’s he doing and who from the organization is down there with him? More importantly, what’s he eating? Did the Wolves hire a personal chef and trainer to work with him this summer? Rudy’s in France sitting in dark rooms. Last season he whined about fans booing. And KAT is showing up on podcasts talking about himself in glowing terms that reveal and embarrassing lack of self-awareness. Meanwhile, we don’t hear anything from TC except for his revelation a few weeks ago that everything from now on is about building around Ant. Duh!

Tim Hardaway Sr. rips Karl-Anthony Towns: Who are these people saying that you changed the game? You need to win playoff games

Tim Hardaway Sr. on Karl-Anthony Towns saying he changed the game: Who are these people saying that you changed the game with the way you played? First of all, you need to win playoff games. You got four playoff wins in 12 tries, zero series wins. You go out there and you average 23 points, 11 rebounds per game, you’re playing well, he’s a good NBA player but he doesn’t make anybody better on his team, it’s all about him at times. He tries to show up the referees instead of going out there to play team basketball. Sometimes he’s out there and you don’t even see him, you don’t even know that he’s out there. I think he needs to have a reality check and he needs to work on his game a little bit more and making his teammates better and having a better season. In Minnesota, they just talk too much, all of them. Anthony Edwards talks, Karl-Anthony Towns talks, some other players, they talk. They just need to shut up and go out there and play basketball. They just need to go out there to play and try to win games. 1 day ago – via YouTube
I think Tim Hardaway comments are fair.

I will say that Ant has been working out in Minnesota (I know he has been to Atlanta this summer also) because there has been video of Ant, Mcdaniels, Moore and Minott working out together. Spagnolo is also in town working out currently.

I actually want to give Mcdaniels a shit ton of credit dude has lived in MN since he was drafted. The guy doesn’t leave and works out with staff all the time. Naz was the same way (understand why he isn’t here at the moment). Hopefully Moore and Minott do the same and improve like the 2 players I just mentioned. I’m not high on Moore but it seems like he is going to do everything he can to try and make it in the league so good for him, I guess.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:35 pm
Lipoli390 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:06 pm I think the following comment by Tim Hardaway Sr is very fair. Note that Tim mentions Ant and the entire Wolves team, which I also think is fair. Bottom line is that this organization is far from building the sort of Miami Heat or Golden State Warrior culture that’s typically associated with championship contenders. There’s a lack of seriousness, mental toughness and accountability that pervades the Wolves organization. I’ve mentioned as one example Ant coming to camp last fall fat and out of shape. Other than Jaden, I haven’t heard about Wolves players working out together. Apparently, Ant is working out in Atlanta, but what’s he doing and who from the organization is down there with him? More importantly, what’s he eating? Did the Wolves hire a personal chef and trainer to work with him this summer? Rudy’s in France sitting in dark rooms. Last season he whined about fans booing. And KAT is showing up on podcasts talking about himself in glowing terms that reveal and embarrassing lack of self-awareness. Meanwhile, we don’t hear anything from TC except for his revelation a few weeks ago that everything from now on is about building around Ant. Duh!

I think Tim Hardaway comments are fair.

I will say that Ant has been working out in Minnesota (I know he has been to Atlanta this summer also) because there has been video of Ant, Mcdaniels, Moore and Minott working out together. Spagnolo is also in town working out currently.

I actually want to give Mcdaniels a shit ton of credit dude has lived in MN since he was drafted. The guy doesn’t leave and works out with staff all the time. Naz was the same way (understand why he isn’t here at the moment). Hopefully Moore and Minott do the same and improve like the 2 players I just mentioned. I’m not high on Moore but it seems like he is going to do everything he can to try and make it in the league so good for him, I guess.
Love that the young guys are all working out together.

I don't know....People can make a good case to trade KAT, to trade Rudy, or to run it back. Hell, there is a part of me that thinks we should trade both those guys and just make it clearly Ant's team and everyone else falls in line. I have a funny feeling that we'll probably run it back, only to make a big trade by next season's deadline because things just aren't working out.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Tim Connelly on KFAN

Here's Connelly's thoughts on Towns' appearance on the pat Bev podcast: "We have to take ourselves more seriously. We have to be self-aware enough to know we have accomplished nothing."
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

kekgeek wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:27 pm Tim Connelly on KFAN

Here's Connelly's thoughts on Towns' appearance on the pat Bev podcast: "We have to take ourselves more seriously. We have to be self-aware enough to know we have accomplished nothing."
Ouch. Can't disagree though. This sort of stuff just further cements Ant as THE guy for this team. KAT's attempt at talking himself up backfired and just made him look smaller than he already is.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q-is-here wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:46 pm
kekgeek wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:27 pm Tim Connelly on KFAN

Ouch. Can't disagree though. This sort of stuff just further cements Ant as THE guy for this team. KAT's attempt at talking himself up backfired and just made him look smaller than he already is.
I agree, Q. I’m glad TC made that comment. I think he was spot on and that’s the tone I want our head basketball executive to set. I don’t expect the comment to get through to KAT, although maybe it will. I think the message was appropriately targeted more at Ant and Jaden. It will be their team if it isn’t already and they’ll have to approach things the right way. It starts with taking what they do more seriously. For KAT that means being more self-aware and keeping his mouth shut. For Ant, it means spending every day working on his body, eating the right things and coming to camp in elite physical condition. For Jaden it means channeling his emotions away from brick walls and towards improving his rebounding.