Twins Spring Training 2021

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
FNG

Re: Twins Spring Training 2021

Post by FNG »

Just a couple weeks into spring training, but it's becoming clearer why we didn't feel the need to resign Odo, Hill or Bailey...this team is deep in starting pitching. So far 4 of our projected starters have been lights out with no earned runs given up in 8 1/3 innings (Happ of course hasn't pitched yet). Further, Dobnak and Thorpe haven't given up a run yet, and a refocused and in-shape Thorpe has rediscovered his velocity and was awesome yesterday in striking out the side including Arozarena. Not to mention Smeltzer and some of the interesting young prospects. It will be interesting to see which 5 emerge as the optimal rotation, but I'm hoping Thorpe continues to impress...it would be better to have at least one lefty in the rotation.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:Just a couple weeks into spring training, but it's becoming clearer why we didn't feel the need to resign Odo, Hill or Bailey...this team is deep in starting pitching. So far 4 of our projected starters have been lights out with no earned runs given up in 8 1/3 innings (Happ of course hasn't pitched yet). Further, Dobnak and Thorpe haven't given up a run yet, and a refocused and in-shape Thorpe has rediscovered his velocity and was awesome yesterday in striking out the side including Arozarena. Not to mention Smeltzer and some of the interesting young prospects. It will be interesting to see which 5 emerge as the optimal rotation, but I'm hoping Thorpe continues to impress...it would be better to have at least one lefty in the rotation.

I'll be interested to see what Odo's contract actually looks like with Houston. It sounded like he may have gotten about what he wanted at least in this market. No official reports but I thought someone said it was in the neighborhood of a 2 year 30 million deal along with a player option for the 3rd year. It's a good landing spot in Houston. Honestly I wouldn't have even hated that deal before the offseason started but like you outlined in your post...I think the Twins did well this offseason in terms of starters especially in terms of salary.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I don't think this is a World Series winning starting rotation, but baby steps are needed I assume. Let's win a playoff game first and maybe even a series.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Has any major league team ever gone through an entire preseason with their projected starting pitchers not giving up a run? After Berrios' shut out innings today, the 7 pitchers who may start this season (including Dobnak and Thorpe, but not Happ who isn't ready yet), have given up no runs and only 6 hits in 17 2/3 innings with 23 K's. Nobody is even getting many good swings in against these guys. It's only preseason, but you know there has to be some conversation about this in the clubhouse...whoever gives up the first run is going to be ripped big time!

Look, I'm always skeptical when it comes to Twins pitching, but we at least have to acknowledge that everyone has been lights out so far this spring. And if the best fielding left side of the infield in all of baseball can stay healthy (along with Buxton), our pitching may be even more effective.

Pardon me while I get a little excited about the start of this season...
FNG

Post by FNG »

A couple thoughts as we approach the start of the season:

1) I note that Rocco is batting Arraez leadoff more and more this preseason...a spot I'd like to see him occupy every game he plays this season. Kepler is going to be our RF, but he is having a terrible spring with a .100 batting average and OBP. I also prefer to see Kepler's power in the middle of the lineup rather than leading off. Arraez has a .375 OBP and looks at a lot of pitches like you want your leadoff hitter to do. Keep him in the 1 hole, Rocco.

2) Happ made his debut yesterday, and with 2 scoreless innings continued the awesome spring our starters are having. This rotation is deep. Thorpe also had a nice outing while Smeltzer again struggled, so it's likely Thorpe will be our long relief and spot starting lefty to start the season, while Smeltzer tries to figure things out in St. Paul.

3) Duffey was lights out last season, but has struggled this spring...he's given up a disastrous 11 hits and 3 HRs in only 3 2/3 innings! I hope (and actually believe) that he is working on new pitches and not worried about results, but I may be wrong. Has anyone watched him this spring and noted anything we should be worried about, like decreased velocity? We need an effective Duffey late in games.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

FNG wrote:A couple thoughts as we approach the start of the season:

1) I note that Rocco is batting Arraez leadoff more and more this preseason...a spot I'd like to see him occupy every game he plays this season. Kepler is going to be our RF, but he is having a terrible spring with a .100 batting average and OBP. I also prefer to see Kepler's power in the middle of the lineup rather than leading off. Arraez has a .375 OBP and looks at a lot of pitches like you want your leadoff hitter to do. Keep him in the 1 hole, Rocco.

2) Happ made his debut yesterday, and with 2 scoreless innings continued the awesome spring our starters are having. This rotation is deep. Thorpe also had a nice outing while Smeltzer again struggled, so it's likely Thorpe will be our long relief and spot starting lefty to start the season, while Smeltzer tries to figure things out in St. Paul.

3) Duffey was lights out last season, but has struggled this spring...he's given up a disastrous 11 hits and 3 HRs in only 3 2/3 innings! I hope (and actually believe) that he is working on new pitches and not worried about results, but I may be wrong. Has anyone watched him this spring and noted anything we should be worried about, like decreased velocity? We need an effective Duffey late in games.

You beat me to to Duffey FNG. I'm very concern about Duffey I watched his last outing and he was only hitting 89 on the gun. Towards the end of last year his average fastball was 91.7 mph so he was already in a decline from his normal 94 mph fastball.

Idk if hes getting into shape or if hes just losing it. As we Know in baseball when you lose it you can lose it fast. I always bring up Jason Kubel at age 30 he Hit .250 with 30 bombs for Arizona in 2012. In 2013 he hit .216 with 5 home runs and was out of league by 2014.

As far as Kepler spring numbers I can tell you theres not single general manager that gives two craps in your spring numbers if your a regular.

Duffey's had shitty spring training numbers a couple years ago before he became a staple in the Twins bullpen. I'm not too worried about him, though I can see why others would be.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:
FNG wrote:A couple thoughts as we approach the start of the season:

You beat me to to Duffey FNG. I'm very concern about Duffey I watched his last outing and he was only hitting 89 on the gun. Towards the end of last year his average fastball was 91.7 mph so he was already in a decline from his normal 94 mph fastball.

Idk if hes getting into shape or if hes just losing it. As we Know in baseball when you lose it you can lose it fast. I always bring up Jason Kubel at age 30 he Hit .250 with 30 bombs for Arizona in 2012. In 2013 he hit .216 with 5 home runs and was out of league by 2014.

As far as Kepler spring numbers I can tell you theres not single general manager that gives two craps in your spring numbers if your a regular.

That's not good news about Duffey's velocity. I'll note that despite his velo decrease at the end of last season, he still had a 1.86 ERA and struck out 14 in 9 2/3 innings. He did crap the bed in the playoffs though.

It's interesting you bring up Kubel. A friend of mine who was very close to the Twins once told me that it just sounded different when Kubel was taking batting practice...we didn't have exit velocity back then, but I have to believe his would have been very high. Another guy who reminded me of Kubel in his prime the way the ball would jump off his bat was Gary Sheffield.

I mostly agree with you on the lack of importance of spring training numbers for regulars and why they are paying more attention to Kirilloff's numbers than Kepler's. Don't you think it might be a little different with regular Miguel Sano though based on his K rate the past season and this spring? I gotta believe they are a little worried about Sano's .167 average with 8 K's in 18 at bats (some of them against guys who won't even start the season with the big club!) and no HRs. We all give Miguel somewhat of a break if he's hitting dingers. If not, a 44% strike out rate has to be cause for concern, doesn't it?

I'm already looking forward to a time where Miguel Sano is not a regular in the Twins lineup. He has far too many empty plate appearances for my liking and I just don't see him getting any better. He's great when he's mashing, but there are very long slumps in between that make him an easy out.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Yep, and we seem to have a lot of other options now at 1b just waiting their turn. I hope Sano is aware of that. If Kirilloff starts out the season dominating AAA and Sano continues his K pace, I wouldn't mind seeing Alex at 1b once May comes around. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a productive Sano...but my patience is wearing thin.