Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Yeah, AP Sports Guy basically saying that Mitchell is not part of the first "wave" of candidates. It sounds like Mitchell is a long shot at this point.

Alright....this offseason should be very interesting: Coach/POBO search; top 7 pick; free agency; summer league; Olympics. Good stuff.
TAFKASP

Post by TAFKASP »

Q12543 wrote:Yeah, AP Sports Guy basically saying that Mitchell is not part of the first "wave" of candidates. It sounds like Mitchell is a long shot at this point.

Alright....this offseason should be very interesting: Coach/POBO search; top 7 pick; free agency; summer league; Olympics. Good stuff.

And yet the wait will still feel like forever!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Q12543 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
Q12543 wrote:
TheSP wrote:
BizarroJerry wrote:Yes, great news. But I have to nitpick here, the search firm iscalled Korn Ferry? KORN FERRY? WTF?

Would you rather they be named Katy Perry?

That's a pretty damn well-regarded search firm. I can see why one would cringe a bit if hearing their name for the first time though!

Q can you elaborate on your knowledge of the search firm?

Korn Ferry has been around for a long time and specialize in executive leadership searches - filling C-suite roles at bigger companies. While I didn't know this previous to Glen's engagement with them, apparently they have experience filling NFL and NBA front office roles, so the world of pro sports franchises is not new to them.

Thanks for the reply and info.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

It is official, Sam Mitchell has been relived of his duties
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

http://www.startribune.com/wolves-to-use-firm-for-coaching-search-sam-mitchell-remains-in-mix/375615991/#1Wolves relieve Sam Mitchell of coaching duties, start search
By Jerry Zgoda Star Tribune APRIL 13, 2016 -- 10:38PM

Minnesota Timberwolves interim head coach Sam Mitchell addressed the media likely for the last time as Timberwolves coach Wednesday following his team's 144-109 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans.

The Timberwolves made it official, relieving Sam Mitchell of his coaching duties Wednesday night after their win over New Orleans.

The Wolves have launched a search for their next head coach and new leader of basketball operations, a process that will begin exclusively outside the organization, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Mitchell could be considered later, but will not be part of the initial process for which Wolves owner Glen Taylor has hired a search firm to identify top candidates.

The two jobs could be filled with one elite head coach who has authority in personnel decisions and front-office structure. That's the arrangement Stan Van Gundy has in Detroit and Flip Saunders had with the Wolves before his death last October.

Or Taylor could elect to hire a president of basketball operations-type who then would hire a head coach.

Yahoo!Sports reported Wednesday that search will target former Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau, former Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks and current television analyst Jeff Van Gundy.

Minnesota Timberwolves interim head coach Sam Mitchell spoke to reporters Wednesday night following his team's 144-109 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans.

Others are expected to be included as well, including coaches currently employed by other NBA teams.

Last month, Taylor said General Manager Milt Newton will conduct the June draft and July's free agency period and his future with the franchise will be evaluated later this summer. Taylor at the time did not address Mitchell's future other than to say that decision and other important ones would be made at season's end.

Such coaches as Thibodeau and Van Gundy are expected to demand authority in personnel decisions and front-office structure.

The Wolves' regular season ends with Wednesday night's finale against New Orleans.

Mitchell has coached the Wolves to a 28-53 record entering Wednesday game after he was promoted in September from associate head coach to interim head coach the day the team announced Saunders was taking a leave of absence while he battled cancer.

The Wolves started the season 8-8, struggled in December and January when they went 3-19 through one stretch and finished strong after beating the Clippers in Los Angeles in early February.

They went 8-7 after winning in Oklahoma City in early March for the first time since 2008. That stretch also included victories at Golden State, Portland and Memphis. The Wolves had gone 2-27 in those four cities these last four seasons.

The Wolves went 3-0 on a Western trip in which they upset the Warriors and beat Sacramento and the Trail Blazers last week.

Last weekend, Mitchell acknowledged the Wolves' job might become perhaps the most desirable of all openings because of that developing young talent. Coaching jobs inevitably become open once the season ends and playoff series conclude.

"It's funny to me, now all of a sudden this is a great job," Mitchell said. "After last year, nobody wanted this job. Nobody thought this was a good job. Now all of a sudden it's a good job, so I'm proud of that."
Mstermisty [enjin:6864008]

Post by Mstermisty [enjin:6864008] »

First off, props to Sam Mitchell. He took over a tragic situation, got right to work and did the best he could. Nobody should have any ill feelings towards him, he was never in the plans to be the head coach anyway.

That said, bigger props to Glen Taylor. It would have been very easy to stick with Sam since the team showed some improvement at the end of the year. But better options are available, he realized that, and made the SMART decision.

Very excited for next year, all the pieces are falling into place. Hopefully they find the right coach, use the high draft pick to get a player who can help (via the draft or trade) and sign a couple key free agents.

We're comin' we're comin'!
slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095]

Post by slimcalhoun27 [enjin:6640095] »

I'm not sure about the timing, but I am in hopes that Glen had a talk with the team and let them know he is willing to invest in there future. Coach and GM is key that all superior organizations. Now....hope for a calculated decision and someone hired that has a vision, has respect to flex within the league and can secure a bench that gives us a chance.

Come on Lady Luck on the LOTTERY also. Would love either Ingram or especially Simmons with his PF ability.
fiddlestyx [enjin:12735839]

Post by fiddlestyx [enjin:12735839] »

While at the game tonight, I noticed that Glen wasn't there in his usual court side seats, or at least it didn't look like him. I joked with the person I was with that he didn't want to sit next to the bench because he told Sam he wouldn't be back. Funny that it came out that he was relieved of the post so I'm curious if Glen didn't want to be near by because of that or what.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

Kudos to Glen for doing what no one expected. This is going to be awesome. Interesting the 180 that happened to Milt but if it leads to landing the cream of the front office and coaching crops, it will be all that matters. I cant wait to see where this goes.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

Timberwolves Tweets:

"We will always be grateful to Sam for his contributions this season and wish he and his family the best in the future." - Taylor

"We owe it to our fans, our community and to our players to ensure our team has the best chance possible of winning an NBA title." - Taylor

"It's important we find the best leaders to shape our talented team and help them realize their full potential." - Taylor

"The future of the Minnesota Timberwolves has never been brighter..." - Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor

#Twolves will initiate a search for both a new head coach and a new head of basketball operations.

Preeminent local search firm Korn Ferry to aid in process. Search will focus exclusively outside the current organizational structure.

#Twolves will initiate a search for both a new head coach and a new head of basketball operations.