I think Minute Maid fans get a bad rap.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scantily-clad-astros-fan-wows-203700100.html
AbeVigodaLive

Re: MLB Stadiums ranked

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Quick
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:Today, I dumped monster and lst from my bbq invite list.

Despicable.

No! Actually, I'm worse than monster...because I'm vegan.

plus fish

My wife and so do the vegan thing a lot partly because we have friends that do. My wife like the challenge. I love cheese real though and ice cream and... I've been a vegetarian all my life. No fish for me.

My dad ran a meat business for many years. Obviously, we were a meat-eating family. Quick story you might enjoy...
I brought a college girlfriend home for dinner. The exchange with my old man:

Girl: Hello, Mr. Xxxxxxxx.
Dad: Hi. We're having steak for dinner.
Girl: Oh, sorry. I don't eat meat. I'm vegetarian.
Dad: We're having steak for dinner.
Girl: You see, I don't eat any meat. Ever.
Dad: (after a long pause and a sideways glance in my direction...) We're HAVING steak for dinner.

The next time I stopped home, my dad told me "That girl... that veggie girl... she's not right for you."
Only girl he ever said that about...
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Quick
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Despicable.

plus fish

My wife and so do the vegan thing a lot partly because we have friends that do. My wife like the challenge. I love cheese real though and ice cream and... I've been a vegetarian all my life. No fish for me.

My dad ran a meat business for many years. Obviously, we were a meat-eating family. Quick story you might enjoy...

Dad: (after a long pause and a sideways glance in my direction...) We're HAVING steak for dinner.

The next time I stopped home, my dad told me "That girl... that veggie girl... she's not right for you."

Lol good story. I always try and be respectful of what people make for me. I don't want my diet to be a big deal. Worst case scenario I won't eat something I'm not going to ask you to make me something else.

Your story reminds me of a friend of mine. He is a big guy. You would never guess he was a vegetarian. He always jokes that you don't ask a skinny person about food you ask the fat guy. Once we were downtown before a sporting event and someone asked him where the best burger was downtown. He proceeded to tell them the top 3 options and after the guy left he turned to me and said (See he asked the fat guy where the best burgers were." We laughed particularly because the guy asked 2 vegetarians where to get a burger but we both know what the concenus is on where the best ones are and one of them was just a cross the street. They make a pretty good vegeburger as well.

Anyway during my college years this guy was dating this girl from Samoa. His family came into town to visit and they were going to a buffet. He told his girlfriend that she better eat a lot at the buffet or his family wouldn't like her because they eat. Plus he said she was Samoan and that will raise the expectations even higher. Lol She must have passed the test because they have been married for quite a few years but I can tell you this guy was worried for a few days before the meal. Obviously he liked her quite a bit. Lol He must because she doesn't really like pizza. To be fair other than that she is really great.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

monsterpile wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:Quick
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Despicable.

plus fish

Lol good story. I always try and be respectful of what people make for me. I don't want my diet to be a big deal. Worst case scenario I won't eat something I'm not going to ask you to make me something else.

Your story reminds me of a friend of mine. He is a big guy. You would never guess he was a vegetarian. He always jokes that you don't ask a skinny person about food you ask the fat guy. Once we were downtown before a sporting event and someone asked him where the best burger was downtown. He proceeded to tell them the top 3 options and after the guy left he turned to me and said (See he asked the fat guy where the best burgers were." We laughed particularly because the guy asked 2 vegetarians where to get a burger but we both know what the concenus is on where the best ones are and one of them was just a cross the street. They make a pretty good vegeburger as well.

Anyway during my college years this guy was dating this girl from Samoa. His family came into town to visit and they were going to a buffet. He told his girlfriend that she better eat a lot at the buffet or his family wouldn't like her because they eat. Plus he said she was Samoan and that will raise the expectations even higher. Lol She must have passed the test because they have been married for quite a few years but I can tell you this guy was worried for a few days before the meal. Obviously he liked her quite a bit. Lol He must because she doesn't really like pizza. To be fair other than that she is really great.

I'm sure they're "probably" happy. But you can never fully trust somebody who doesn't like pizza.

[Note: I want a burger now. Damn it. And I just ate lunch. In my opinion, (for those in Minneapolis) Parlor has the best burger in town. Revival is 2nd... and offers damn good chicken as an "appetizer."]
Monster

Post by Monster »

LST if you are ever in Omaha or NYC area you may want to check out the vegan "Modern Love" restaurants run by Isa Chandra Moskowitz who as you may know has some really good cookbooks. The first time my wife (who makes a lot of her recipes) and some of her friends went to Omaha and ate there Isa brought out their food and my wife said she totally geeked out getting to meet her. I'd say my favorite thing I've had there is the "Chicken" and Waffles or the Modern Love Burger the menu revolves pretty frequently. In Omaha it's wise to get a reservation it's a pretty small place. I'm not sure I have been to any specifically vegan restaurants in the MSP area but I would be interested to hear of any some good ones.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

monsterpile wrote:LST if you are ever in Omaha or NYC area you may want to check out the vegan "Modern Love" restaurants run by Isa Chandra Moskowitz who as you may know has some really good cookbooks. The first time my wife (who makes a lot of her recipes) and some of her friends went to Omaha and ate there Isa brought out their food and my wife said she totally geeked out getting to meet her. I'd say my favorite thing I've had there is the "Chicken" and Waffles or the Modern Love Burger the menu revolves pretty frequently. In Omaha it's wise to get a reservation it's a pretty small place. I'm not sure I have been to any specifically vegan restaurants in the MSP area but I would be interested to hear of any some good ones.

I didn't know Moskowitz lived in Omaha...you're right...her cookbooks are the best! And I have heard about Modern Love opening up in Brooklyn, but didn't get over there when I was in NYC in April.

I'm a vegan plus fish guy so it's always easy for me to find good things to eat on any menu, so I'm not an expert on the local vegan restaurants. I do buy stuff frequently at the Herbivorous Butcher...they make a lot of faux meat and cheese right on the premises, and a lot of it is delicious. My favorite is the Italian Sausage...I combine it with pasta and a primavera sauce, and nobody can tell it's meatless! They ship their product too...here's their website:

http://www.theherbivorousbutcher.com/

My biggest issue since going vegan has been giving up ice cream, but life got much better last week when a friend told me about Ben and Jerry's vegan ice cream...they use almond milk rather than dairy. The fudge brownie and chunky monkey are both terrific!
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

I feel all this earnest vegetarian (vegan) discourse needs to be trolled. Sorry guys...

[Note: Yes. I feel threatened by your apparent happiness amid a healthier, smarter lifestyle. Screw both of you.]
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:LST if you are ever in Omaha or NYC area you may want to check out the vegan "Modern Love" restaurants run by Isa Chandra Moskowitz who as you may know has some really good cookbooks. The first time my wife (who makes a lot of her recipes) and some of her friends went to Omaha and ate there Isa brought out their food and my wife said she totally geeked out getting to meet her. I'd say my favorite thing I've had there is the "Chicken" and Waffles or the Modern Love Burger the menu revolves pretty frequently. In Omaha it's wise to get a reservation it's a pretty small place. I'm not sure I have been to any specifically vegan restaurants in the MSP area but I would be interested to hear of any some good ones.

I didn't know Moskowitz lived in Omaha...you're right...her cookbooks are the best! And I have heard about Modern Love opening up in Brooklyn, but didn't get over there when I was in NYC in April.

I'm a vegan plus fish guy so it's always easy for me to find good things to eat on any menu, so I'm not an expert on the local vegan restaurants. I do buy stuff frequently at the Herbivorous Butcher...they make a lot of faux meat and cheese right on the premises, and a lot of it is delicious. My favorite is the Italian Sausage...I combine it with pasta and a primavera sauce, and nobody can tell it's meatless! They ship their product too...here's their website:

http://www.theherbivorousbutcher.com/

My biggest issue since going vegan has been giving up ice cream, but life got much better last week when a friend told me about Ben and Jerry's vegan ice cream...they use almond milk rather than dairy. The fudge brownie and chunky monkey are both terrific!

Yes that's good. There are a some good ones from coconut milk also. Ice cream is just one of the things that's a down fall for me. Portion control is tough. I have been eating yogurt a lot lately. Still good and a lot fewer calories and some health benefits. Smoothies are another thing that could be an option instead of ice cream. My wife makes them a lot I need to make my own more.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:I feel all this earnest vegetarian (vegan) discourse needs to be trolled. Sorry guys...

[Note: Yes. I feel threatened by your apparent happiness amid a healthier, smarter lifestyle. Screw both of you.]

Hey those look interesting what kind of protein are those made out of?

Don't feel too bad. My boss thinks I am some sort of health nut but really I eat too many bad things. I eat too much sugar and still eat too much fat and salty things. I've tried to make some small changes to things that I still enjoy but it's hard. The last few months I've realized that in my late 30's I better start taking care of my body even more if I want to enjoy some things like playing basketball and I still enjoy it. I even looked up an anti inflammatory diet after last night where I played for the first time in a couple weeks and felt..um not terrible but I've felt better. Also I am not sure I am significantly happier than than the typical American.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Why I feel guilty about being a vegetarian. But man a lot of these veggie taste so good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK0bZl4ILM