Wolves at Nuggets R2G2

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Coolbreeze44

Re: Wolves at Nuggets R2G2

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

DNatagal wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:24 pm
Coolbreeze44 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:51 pm Jaden McDaniels has 5 points and is a +50 in the two games. What stat matters more?
But he needs to score 20 a night to justify his contract right????
He's a bargain
davemang

Post by davemang »

FNG wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:40 am
60WinTim wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 am Did FNG really skip the game last night?!?

I think Gobert missing played a role in the Wolves dominance last night. Denver would have prepared for this game based on what happened in game one. So, Gobert missing not only through a wrench in their planned adjustments, but put a false sense of ease in the player's minds that the game should be easier. But even though Rudy is the anchor of our defense, it is everyone playing tenacious defense that makes this the number one defense in the league. Denver was not ready for it.
Somebody needs to report a crime. I don't know who stole Naz Reid's jersey and masqueraded as him on defense last night, but I sure like what he did. Where has this guy been?
It would be insane if naz took a leap to become a very good big/big wing defender - would be a contest between him and naw on who has the best contract in the league.

One thing I loved about last night was the “5280” jerseys. Looked like Denver was more affected by the altitude than the wolves.
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

davemang wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:56 pm
60WinTim wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:42 am Did FNG really skip the game last night?!?

I think Gobert missing played a role in the Wolves dominance last night. Denver would have prepared for this game based on what happened in game one. So, Gobert missing not only through a wrench in their planned adjustments, but put a false sense of ease in the player's minds that the game should be easier. But even though Rudy is the anchor of our defense, it is everyone playing tenacious defense that makes this the number one defense in the league. Denver was not ready for it.
Somebody needs to report a crime. I don't know who stole Naz Reid's jersey and masqueraded as him on defense last night, but I sure like what he did. Where has this guy been?
It would be insane if naz took a leap to become a very good big/big wing defender - would be a contest between him and naw on who has the best contract in the league.

One thing I loved about last night was the “5280” jerseys. Looked like Denver was more affected by the altitude than the wolves.
I think a lot of it is culture. If the organization puts an emphasis on defense, and the top players buy into it, then suddenly it permeates everything they do and teach. As a regular rotation player that is still growing as a player, do you really want to be the guy known as the weak link of the team defense? I don't think so.

As a result, Naz has probably worked really hard on how to best use what he's good at and apply it on the defensive side. He has quick hands and fairly quick feet for his size plus a pretty big wingspan. So while he can get physically bullied, he's figuring out other ways to add value defensively.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Q-is-here wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:51 am
davemang wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:56 pm

I think a lot of it is culture. If the organization puts an emphasis on defense, and the top players buy into it, then suddenly it permeates everything they do and teach. As a regular rotation player that is still growing as a player, do you really want to be the guy known as the weak link of the team defense? I don't think so.

As a result, Naz has probably worked really hard on how to best use what he's good at and apply it on the defensive side. He has quick hands and fairly quick feet for his size plus a pretty big wingspan. So while he can get physically bullied, he's figuring out other ways to add value defensively.
Yeah, quite true Q. They say hitting in baseball is contagious, and I would say it's even more so with respect to defense in the NBA. Did you notice that even the out of rotation reserves seemed to be working a little harder on defense in their garbage time?

I finally got around to listening to Dane Moore's Monday night podcast, and there were a lot of interesting comments about Naz Reid. First, I was surprised to hear that he ranks 12th all-time in minutes played with the Timberwolves...pretty amazing for such a young guy who has started so few games!

But I digress, because we're talking about defense. Dane Moore said that he sees Naz as the second most competitive guy on the roster, trailing only Ant. Further, he talked about a post-game question he asked Naz after he had his lunch handed to him by Joker this past season. Dane said to Naz it was clear Joker was a lot for him to handle, and asked him what plans he had to defend him better next time. Naz said "I'm going to fucking figure it out!". And he did. I still see Naz as a below average defender (who is coming off of a very good defensive game), but I actually think he matches up better one on one with Joker than other situations he might face. I think Naz is stronger than we might think, and he also knows that you can get away with bodying up your man much easier in the playoffs. I think Naz's weakness is he gets lost in a team defense system...when the ball is moving around, I often get frustrated with Naz being totally out of position. But his assignment in this series is easier...stand strong when Joker tries to bully you to the basket, and use your length to bother his shot when he eventually puts it up. I think he has shown he can do quite well in that role.
DNatagal

Post by DNatagal »

That defense that Naz used to shut down Murray on the perimeter was fantastic. He has been moving his feet on defense. I see the whole team has bought in on the team concept. The players on the court are disappointed ANY time the opponent scores. That says something.