Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:Add Desmond Bane to the list of prospects I like a lot in this class.

I watched a video and read a scouting report and was like "what's the knock on this guy" I guess he has short arms. I didn't notice it in the video they looked typical to me. He looks like a good option to get in this draft at some point.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

Camden0916 wrote:Add Desmond Bane to the list of prospects I like a lot in this class.

I haven't looked at him much. Will do so now that you mentioned him.

You brought up Vassell earlier, and watching tape he seems to project as a good player. One thing that concerns me though is his weight (195lbs) and frame. I'm not sure he can bulk up much. Does that concern you? Especially since I see Okogie and Culver (similar stature) stuck holding most minutes at the two. Not to mention Beasley.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of taking Devin Vassell third overall, and possibly even second overall. He's by far the best wing defender in this class and his tools/skills offensively are better than his production at Florida State suggest -- not to insinuate that his numbers in college were anything to sneeze at.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

My 5 favorite players in this draft

Killian Hayes
Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Obi Toppin
Saadiq Bey

sub Toppin with Patrick Williams and I think that's a solid 5 guys who the Wolves can walk away happy with.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Sadiq Bey would be a great pick up at 17 and he's projected by NBADraftNet to be available there.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

KG4Ever wrote:Sadiq Bey would be a great pick up at 17 and he's projected by NBADraftNet to be available there.

We don't agree often, but on this one we are on the same side. Saddiq Bey is one of my favorite prospects in the entire class. Super slept on for some reason. I tend to wonder if he'll even be available after the top-10 considering he's a sure-fire rotation player at the next level.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Right now, I'm torn between Okungwu and Wiseman as the top pick. I like Haliburton, Vassell and Dani too, but only in a trade down. I have considered Edwards but his shooting concerns me as well as the knock on his defensive effort, but I have an open mind given his age, but only if his workouts are otherworldly and his poor shooting can be justified (I rarely see NBA stars who shoot 40% in college, but Donovan Mitchell did his last year but his FT% was better). Funny, if we like Edwards we should have kept Wiggins and if we like Ball, we should have kept Rubio.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

KG4Ever wrote:Right now, I'm torn between Okungwu and Wiseman as the top pick. I like Haliburton, Vassell and Dani too, but only in a trade down. I have considered Edwards but his shooting concerns me as well as the knock on his defensive effort, but I have an open mind given his age, but only if his workouts are otherworldly and his poor shooting can be justified (I rarely see NBA stars who shoot 40% in college, but Donovan Mitchell did his last year but his FT% was better). Funny, if we like Edwards we should have kept Wiggins and if we like Ball, we should have kept Rubio.

Unlike Ball, Rubio came to the NBA with a reputation as a very good defender and the didn't disappoint in that area. He was and still is a terrific defender. Unlike Wiggins, Edwards is physically really strong (225 pounds of solid muscle) and he shows some real fire in his personality. So although one knock on Edwards is lack of defensive effort and an uncertain motor similar to Wiggins, you can see a lot of video of Edwards showing a lot of outward passion and excitement on the offensive end. So I'd take Rubio over Ball, but I'd take Edwards over Wiggins.

Otherwise, I'm totally with you in being torn between Okongwu and Wiseman as our top pick, with an open mind to the possibility of taking Edwards. I see Okongwu as another Bam Adebayo, but a better shot blocker than Bam. If I'm right, then Okongwu should be the pick because I think he has zero bust potential. I see Wiseman as potentially another Chis Bosh - maybe even better. Wiseman's combination of length and athleticism is really enticing. Edwards looks like he could be another Oladipo or bigger version of Donovan Mitchell. But both Oladipo and Mitchell came to the NBA as elite college defenders while Edwards is considered highly suspect but potentially very good defensively. Ball's very skilled and has extraordinary length for a PG. But the Wolves need defense and athleticism and Ball is weak in both those areas. Moreover, I don't want any part of the Ball family drama.

If we pass on Okongwu, Wiseman and Edwards (presumably by trading down into the 4-8 range), then I'm leaning towards Vassell although I would consider Deni, Haliburton or Toppin in that range. I'm warming up to Toppin. As athletic and strong as he is, I have to believe he can improve his defense. He was a late bloomer before exploding on the scene as one of the NCAA's best offensive players this past season. Perhaps he can take the same leap forward on the defensive side of the ball.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

lipoli390 wrote:
KG4Ever wrote:Right now, I'm torn between Okungwu and Wiseman as the top pick. I like Haliburton, Vassell and Dani too, but only in a trade down. I have considered Edwards but his shooting concerns me as well as the knock on his defensive effort, but I have an open mind given his age, but only if his workouts are otherworldly and his poor shooting can be justified (I rarely see NBA stars who shoot 40% in college, but Donovan Mitchell did his last year but his FT% was better). Funny, if we like Edwards we should have kept Wiggins and if we like Ball, we should have kept Rubio.

Unlike Ball, Rubio came to the NBA with a reputation as a very good defender and the didn't disappoint in that area. He was and still is a terrific defender. Unlike Wiggins, Edwards is physically really strong (225 pounds of solid muscle) and he shows some real fire in his personality. So although one knock on Edwards is lack of defensive effort and an uncertain motor similar to Wiggins, you can see a lot of video of Edwards showing a lot of outward passion and excitement on the offensive end. So I'd take Rubio over Ball, but I'd take Edwards over Wiggins.

Otherwise, I'm totally with you in being torn between Okongwu and Wiseman as our top pick, with an open mind to the possibility of taking Edwards. I see Okongwu as another Bam Adebayo, but a better shot blocker than Bam. If I'm right, then Okongwu should be the pick because I think he has zero bust potential. I see Wiseman as potentially another Chis Bosh - maybe even better. Wiseman's combination of length and athleticism is really enticing. Edwards looks like he could be another Oladipo or bigger version of Donovan Mitchell. But both Oladipo and Mitchell came to the NBA as elite college defenders while Edwards is considered highly suspect but potentially very good defensively. Ball's very skilled and has extraordinary length for a PG. But the Wolves need defense and athleticism and Ball is weak in both those areas. Moreover, I don't want any part of the Ball family drama.

If we pass on Okongwu, Wiseman and Edwards (presumably by trading down into the 4-8 range), then I'm leaning towards Vassell although I would consider Deni, Haliburton or Toppin in that range. I'm warming up to Toppin. As athletic and strong as he is, I have to believe he can improve his defense. He was a late bloomer before exploding on the scene as one of the NCAA's best offensive players this past season. Perhaps he can take the same leap forward on the defensive side of the ball.

Yeah, I like Toppin too if we trade down into the 5-8 range. Haven't watched much of him yet, but what I've read about him I like. I like Bey and Patrick Williams too, and hope one of them falls to 17.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Here's part of a review of Wiseman from The Ringer. I've bonded what I consider the most troubling observations about Wiseman in this review:

Wiseman is a projected top pick in the 2020 NBA draft because of his physical tools and flashes of stardom as a two-way center. He was plagued by an inconsistent motor and shaky production throughout high school, and the hope was that he would use a strong year in Memphis to hush those concerns. But Wiseman was given a 12-game suspension and required to pay $11,500 to charity--the amount in expenses his family accepted from Penny Hardaway, now the Tigers head coach, to move to Memphis in 2017. And instead of returning on January 12, Wiseman signed with an agent Thursday and left college basketball for good after playing in just three games.

Wiseman, 18, will be one of the toughest players for NBA scouts to evaluate. Virtually all of his potential strengths are followed by a "but." A few examples:

Wiseman is built like an ideal modern big at 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan and a muscular, 250-pound frame. But he lacks physicality battling against opposing bigs in the paint, and he's too comfortable settling for a jumper.

Wiseman projects as a versatile scorer who can throw down lobs at the rim and space the floor. But he's a subpar shooter from the line and the field, raising questions about his touch from outside; to make matters worse, he has poor shot selection.

Wiseman uses his long arms and explosiveness to block and alter shots at the rim; he could become a feared threat simply because of his presence inside. But he lacks discipline, often jumping at pump fakes, and fundamental skills like poor footwork and awareness need work.

Prospects can get nitpicked to no end in the run-up to the draft, but you don't need to zoom in to find Wiseman's flaws. That's why scouts wonder whether he could slip in the draft like did Myles Turner did in 2015 after a shaky freshman season at Texas. I've talked to NBA executives who have Wiseman ranked in the top three, and others who wouldn't put him in the top 10. But he had the upside of becoming the unanimous top prospect if he had an impressive freshman season.