Page 34 of 35

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 8:27 pm
by rapsuperstar31
Q-is-here wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 6:41 pm
rapsuperstar31 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:56 pm Knicks Sign Bruce Brown Jr., Ochai Agbaji, James Wiseman, Drew Eubanks and John Konchar To Exhibit 9 Deals

Knicks bringing in a bunch of camp deal guys to fight it out for their last spot. I wouldn't have minded bringing in a few of these guys on camp deals, to see what they looked like in pre-season.
Dane posited that we're leaving it open (the last spot that is) because although the salary slot itself would be minimal, the luxury tax hit would be disproportionaly punitive versus what production we could ever hope to get from the 15th man.
It wouldn't shock me if they didn't look to add someone until the trade deadline/buy out market to save some money. They could also convert Rocco or Pullin to a normal contract mid season. We didn't have to buy out and stretch Konchar to stay under the 2nd apron, we could have just kept him on the books, and not put 2 million in dead money on the salary cap for three seasons. Money is already tight the next year, if they plan to re-sign Donte they would have been better off just keeping Konchar now and having the extra breathing room the next year.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2026 9:06 pm
by Monster
rapsuperstar31 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 8:27 pm
Q-is-here wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 6:41 pm
rapsuperstar31 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:56 pm Knicks Sign Bruce Brown Jr., Ochai Agbaji, James Wiseman, Drew Eubanks and John Konchar To Exhibit 9 Deals

Knicks bringing in a bunch of camp deal guys to fight it out for their last spot. I wouldn't have minded bringing in a few of these guys on camp deals, to see what they looked like in pre-season.
Dane posited that we're leaving it open (the last spot that is) because although the salary slot itself would be minimal, the luxury tax hit would be disproportionaly punitive versus what production we could ever hope to get from the 15th man.
It wouldn't shock me if they didn't look to add someone until the trade deadline/buy out market to save some money. They could also convert Rocco or Pullin to a normal contract mid season. We didn't have to buy out and stretch Konchar to stay under the 2nd apron, we could have just kept him on the books, and not put 2 million in dead money on the salary cap for three seasons. Money is already tight the next year, if they plan to re-sign Donte they would have been better off just keeping Konchar now and having the extra breathing room the next year.
I read and article from Sports illustrated that made the point about the luxury tax but also said that what is a bigger advantage to not signing a 15th player is they would keep that 4ish million in space under the apron in case of a trade or adding a player later with that space. Honestly as much as I would like them to add someone keeping that 4 million chunk does make a lot of sense and right at this moment it's not like there is some awesome dude out there I'm dying for them to sign. I'd guess they might be willing to consider someone on a non-guaranteed deal but Love for example I'm guessing isn't doing that. The Knicks added some nice enough players to sift through and find the best ones which worked out well last season for them. I'm a little confused why it took this long for Bruce Brown to sign somewhere. I get he probably isn't a priority FA like he was but he still seems like a reasonably versatile vet teams would want.

I'm guessing the Wolves will sign someone moderately interesting to a non guaranteed deal who may have a chance to make the roster if they impress or get a 2 way deal. I had forgotten about Wiseman. It feels like he could have a place in the league if he can just stay healthy.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2026 3:43 pm
by Coolbreeze44
Nicolas Batum has retired. I am grateful.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2026 6:10 pm
by Monster
Coolbreeze44 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2026 3:43 pm Nicolas Batum has retired. I am grateful.
The only surprise about this is that he is done completely no playing in Europe etc.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:01 pm
by Monster
If you haven't been traded to or from the Hornets this off-season just wait.

Dillingham has been traded from the Bulls too the Hornets for Buddy Heild. Ryan Nembhard has been waived and likely will have plenty of suiters for a 2way deal including the Nuggets if he clears waivers which seems likely. The Hornets already have multiple small guards (see them waiving Nembhard) so Dillingham may be on the move or even let go. That was not a good pick but at least the Wolves moved on while they could get something out of trading him. I still think he has a shot to be a worthwhile player but...

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 9:31 am
by Lipoli390
Monster wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:01 pm If you haven't been traded to or from the Hornets this off-season just wait.

Dillingham has been traded from the Bulls too the Hornets for Buddy Heild. Ryan Nembhard has been waived and likely will have plenty of suiters for a 2way deal including the Nuggets if he clears waivers which seems likely. The Hornets already have multiple small guards (see them waiving Nembhard) so Dillingham may be on the move or even let go. That was not a good pick but at least the Wolves moved on while they could get something out of trading him. I still think he has a shot to be a worthwhile player but...
I think Rob will end up a good player but he’s likely not going to be as good as I thought he’s be or obviously as good as TC thought he’d be. As you noted, Rob was not a good pick by TC especially when you consider that TC traded up to get him. But TC pulled a rabbit out of his hat pairing Rob with other little-used assets to get Ayo.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 10:20 am
by Monster
Lipoli390 wrote: ↑Sun Sep 27, 2026 9:31 am
Monster wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:01 pm If you haven't been traded to or from the Hornets this off-season just wait.

Dillingham has been traded from the Bulls too the Hornets for Buddy Heild. Ryan Nembhard has been waived and likely will have plenty of suiters for a 2way deal including the Nuggets if he clears waivers which seems likely. The Hornets already have multiple small guards (see them waiving Nembhard) so Dillingham may be on the move or even let go. That was not a good pick but at least the Wolves moved on while they could get something out of trading him. I still think he has a shot to be a worthwhile player but...
I think Rob will end up a good player but he’s likely not going to be as good as I thought he’s be or obviously as good as TC thought he’d be. As you noted, Rob was not a good pick by TC especially when you consider that TC traded up to get him. But TC pulled a rabbit out of his hat pairing Rob with other little-used assets to get Ayo.
Cody Williams is on the Wolves roster and he was picked 2 spots later. He is sort of the wing version of Dillingham. Devin Carter is on a 2 way deal. Collier might currently be the best player of those PGs we discussed back then but he is likely just a solid backup.

I think what Connelly does is he finds multiple ways to add talent. He also has a track record of getting out of players something before they have zero value. He might miss one place but then find another way of adding a player you didn't see coming. Kuminga Ayo are current examples. You know what? I wouldn't rule out Dillingham retiring to the Wolves at some point. Down the line we may have a need/use for a player like him as a bench guy.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:14 am
by Mnwild1128
Monster wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:01 pm If you haven't been traded to or from the Hornets this off-season just wait.

Dillingham has been traded from the Bulls too the Hornets for Buddy Heild. Ryan Nembhard has been waived and likely will have plenty of suiters for a 2way deal including the Nuggets if he clears waivers which seems likely. The Hornets already have multiple small guards (see them waiving Nembhard) so Dillingham may be on the move or even let go. That was not a good pick but at least the Wolves moved on while they could get something out of trading him. I still think he has a shot to be a worthwhile player but...
Hornets need and want to shed salary. Dilly makes less than Hield. I expect them to trade Dilly again for another player making less salary.

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:23 am
by Mnwild1128
rapsuperstar31 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 10:47 am Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
Follow
Just in: Houston Rockets' Amen Thompson has agreed to a five-year, $208 million rookie-scale contract extension with the franchise, sources tell ESPN. The new deal includes a 10% trade kicker

I've wondered if Jaden might sign a 2 year extension this summer which could be as high as 2 year 87 million which would be a similar AAV for the two years. If he waits a year, I believe he can sign a 4 year bigger extension at that point. We still have Jaden locked in on a good deal for 3 more years, but he's going to get expensive.
I was under the impression raises could not be more than a 40% increase for a vet

Re: 2026 FA/Trades/Resigns

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:14 am
by 60WinTim
Mnwild1128 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:23 am
rapsuperstar31 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 03, 2026 10:47 am Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
Follow
Just in: Houston Rockets' Amen Thompson has agreed to a five-year, $208 million rookie-scale contract extension with the franchise, sources tell ESPN. The new deal includes a 10% trade kicker

I've wondered if Jaden might sign a 2 year extension this summer which could be as high as 2 year 87 million which would be a similar AAV for the two years. If he waits a year, I believe he can sign a 4 year bigger extension at that point. We still have Jaden locked in on a good deal for 3 more years, but he's going to get expensive.
I was under the impression raises could not be more than a 40% increase for a vet
As I recall, a player with Full Bird Rights has no limit on a percentage increase, just whatever the max salary is for years of service and whatever bonuses are earned with awards.