Butler requests trade...

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Lipoli390

Re: Butler requests trade...

Post by Lipoli390 »

Not only would I let him sit out, I'd WANT him to sit out. What a bizarre distraction to have him around as part of the team.

I'm fine waiting for what can be fairly characterized as a good deal before trading him. What concerns me are the reports that Thibodeau still hasn't come to grips with trading Butler and that he's still hoping Butler eventually relents and agrees to stay. Unfortunately, those reports are highly plausible given what we know about Thibodeau. If this drags into the season I don't expect some team to come out of nowhere and offer what no team would offer before. In fact, once the season starts, teams tend to turn inward, focusing on moving forward with what they have. Trade interest doesn't renew until the February deadline approaches. There is the potential that some team might step up at that time with a really good offer, viewing Butler as a key missing piece to push them over the top. But the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

So yes, the Wolves should drive a hard bargain and should be willing to wait as long as it takes. But I don't think we'll get a better deal next February than we can get in the next couple weeks. Above all, I just wish we could trust Thibodeau's intentions and judgment. Sadly, I don't think we can.
crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461]

Post by crazy-canuck [enjin:18955461] »

Jimmy ain't that kid from tomball anymore. Hes now a diva who prefers the Hollywood lifestyle. I think that's why he wanted out of minnesota and threw the kids under the bus as the scapegoats.

I would not be surprised to see him show up for the gsw game wearing a curry or durant jersey.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

NBA action...it's faaaantastic!!!
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:Not only would I let him sit out, I'd WANT him to sit out. What a bizarre distraction to have him around as part of the team.

I'm fine waiting for what can be fairly characterized as a good deal before trading him. What concerns me are the reports that Thibodeau still hasn't come to grips with trading Butler and that he's still hoping Butler eventually relents and agrees to stay. Unfortunately, those reports are highly plausible given what we know about Thibodeau. If this drags into the season I don't expect some team to come out of nowhere and offer what no team would offer before. In fact, once the season starts, teams tend to turn inward, focusing on moving forward with what they have. Trade interest doesn't renew until the February deadline approaches. There is the potential that some team might step up at that time with a really good offer, viewing Butler as a key missing piece to push them over the top. But the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

So yes, the Wolves should drive a hard bargain and should be willing to wait as long as it takes. But I don't think we'll get a better deal next February than we can get in the next couple weeks. Above all, I just wish we could trust Thibodeau's intentions and judgment. Sadly, I don't think we can.

Lip a lot of the recent reports read exactly like reports you get from various teams that want more for their players. Phoenix was asking some nutty amount for Bledsoe so they were consider keeping him etc. because it's Thibs people read more into it. Butler is getting traded and Thibs knows it. This is all a dance that we see every year from a few players getting traded. Remember the reports we get are likely all from outside the Wolves organization.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Wolves asked for Ben Simmons in a trade. I love it
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:Not only would I let him sit out, I'd WANT him to sit out. What a bizarre distraction to have him around as part of the team.

Lip a lot of the recent reports read exactly like reports you get from various teams that want more for their players. Phoenix was asking some nutty amount for Bledsoe so they were consider keeping him etc. because it's Thibs people read more into it. Butler is getting traded and Thibs knows it. This is all a dance that we see every year from a few players getting traded. Remember the reports we get are likely all from outside the Wolves organization.

I agree that these reports are typical of situations like this. As I said, I want the Wolves to drive a hard bargain and wait as long as necessary for the best deal. I was really making only two points. First, I'm concerned about the reports about Thibodeau's initial insubordination and continuing reports that he's intent on keeping Butler. Those are reports I've NEVER seen in any situation like this before. Second, I think there's a point of diminishing returns for the Wolves -- i.e., once the season starts, interest in trades, and therefore, Butler's value, will diminish. We all know that teams generally hunker down once the season starts and trade talk doesn't heat up until February. Those were my only two points. If this situation were like any other, including the Bledsoe situation, I wouldn't be concerned. I actually tend NOT to believe recent reports that Thibodeau is effectivcely sabotaging a Butler trade based on his deep-seated believe that he can persuade Butler to stay. But Thibodeau's initial insubordination, and his intense stubborn nature and the extent to which he has tied his coaching success in MN to Butler being here given rise to a credible suspicion that those reports might be true.

For now, I believe Thibodeau and Layden are working hard to get the best deal possible for Butler. They are right to be patient and I applaud them saying publicly that they won't agree to a bad deal. I'm convinced a deal will be done before the regular season opener. I'm more concerned about the quality of the deal Thibodeau ultimately agrees than I am about whether a deal gets done.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

kekgeek1 wrote:Wolves asked for Ben Simmons in a trade. I love it

Well, already then. I'm all for setting the bar high to kick things off, but whoo boy!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

Q12543 wrote:

Well, already then. I'm all for setting the bar high to kick things off, but whoo boy!

Lol. Has Thibodeau asked for Kevin Durant or Steph Curry yet?
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

I always wonder about these reports if asking for something really high is the response when someone give you a hilariously bad lowball offer. Regardless I don't really buy much into this reporting anyway but it should add some amusement like Lip injected here.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:

I always wonder about these reports if asking for something really high is the response when someone give you a hilariously bad lowball offer. Regardless I don't really buy much into this reporting anyway but it should add some amusement like Lip injected here.

Reports like the one saying Thibodeau asked for Simmons don't tell us much. First, I'm not sure these reports are reliable. Second, we don't know the context. My guess is that Thibodeau did, in fact, ask for Simmons in return. Thibodeau has an inflated view of Butler's value -- he always has. But I can't blame Thibs for asking. :)

Flip told me that when Love was on the trading block, Phil Jackson called him and make all kinds of ridiculous offers. But Flip said it was all in fun. As I recall, Flip said that Phil called him and said, "I'm interested in Kevin Love and I know I have nothing you'd want in return, but here goes...". Then apparently Phil went through each player on his roster and the two of them had a good laugh. Of course, if Thibodeau asked for Simmons, you can bet it wasn't in jest.