Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

monsterpile wrote:Darius Garland is kind of a weird sort of legend on this board. I like the guy but he had a decent rookie year nothing to be too excited about as a small scoring guard. I don't feel like we missed out on something amazing there at this point but that could certainly change. Tyler Herro...I'd like to have that guy but how many here on this board weren't in on him? I do feel confident that Culver will be a positive defensive player and this team needs those type of guys.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were not many posters here wanting Tyler Herro with our pick. My memory recalls it being a mixed bag of Darius Garland, Brandon Clarke, Coby White, Nick Alexander-Walker, Sekou Doumbouya, and Jarrett Culver. This board didn't really have a consensus there. We all liked who we liked and probably would have been happy if the pick turned out to be a handful of different guys. We just had our favorites.

Or if the previous John Collins offer is way too lopsided in Minnesota's favor, you could throw out a Collins and Kevin Huerter for No. 1 and Jarrett Culver offer and go from there. I'd expect that Atlanta and Minnesota will have many conversations this off-season concerning a trade.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

The Garland angle is mainly just that we knew that's the guy Rosas moved up for and he didn't get him. I'm not sure how many people wanted Garland at the end of the day but I don't think anyone was on the trade up to get Culver bandwagon considering we just drafted Okogie the year before.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Camden0916 wrote:Or if the previous John Collins offer is way too lopsided in Minnesota's favor, you could throw out a Collins and Kevin Huerter for No. 1 and Jarrett Culver offer and go from there. I'd expect that Atlanta and Minnesota will have many conversations this off-season concerning a trade.

It's probably not a popular opinion but I would rather get Reddish back than Huerter. Huerter barely improved at all between year 1 and 2 so I'm not sure there's a significant jump there for him to make into a good starter on a playoff team. Reddish in the 10 games after the all-star break (admitted small sample size) scored 16 a game on 50/39/85 in 30 MPG's. I'd rather bank on his upside than Huerter's relative mediocre consistency through 2 years. Huerter scored 12 points on 40/34/86 splits in the 11 games after the all-star break. He did have 5.5 assists per game which is good.

khans2k5 wrote:The Garland angle is mainly just that we knew that's the guy Rosas moved up for and he didn't get him. I'm not sure how many people wanted Garland at the end of the day but I don't think anyone was on the trade up to get Culver bandwagon considering we just drafted Okogie the year before.

I'd agree with this take. I liked Jarrett Culver as a prospect from a pre-draft standpoint, but he wasn't my first or second choice for the Wolves primarily because there were better shooters available. I also didn't envision the Wolves trading up. That whole sequence of moves just seems sloppy.

khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Or if the previous John Collins offer is way too lopsided in Minnesota's favor, you could throw out a Collins and Kevin Huerter for No. 1 and Jarrett Culver offer and go from there. I'd expect that Atlanta and Minnesota will have many conversations this off-season concerning a trade.

It's probably not a popular opinion but I would rather get Reddish back than Huerter. Huerter barely improved at all between year 1 and 2 so I'm not sure there's a significant jump there for him to make into a good starter on a playoff team. Reddish in the 10 games after the all-star break (admitted small sample size) scored 16 a game on 50/39/85 in 30 MPG's. I'd rather bank on his upside than Huerter's relative mediocre consistency through 2 years. Huerter scored 12 points on 40/34/86 splits in the 11 games after the all-star break. He did have 5.5 assists per game which is good.

If we're looking for the higher ceiling, then yeah, you definitely go after Cam Reddish as an additional piece to the trade. If we're looking for sure things and another solid wing to add to the team for right now, we have to go after Kevin Huerter. Back-to-back seasons he's shot above 38-percent from three on solid volume and has shown some ability to create shots for himself and others as a secondary ball-handler. He's not someone I think will be a great player, but you can never have too much shooting.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I don't want to trade #1 unless it is for a young star like Ben Simmons or we get a top ten pick this year plus a pick in 2021 with no or little (top two) protection from a team likely to suck such as Charlotte, Cleveland, Detroit, Knicks and perhaps Chicago and Washington as well. I'd also take a pick in 2022 instead of 2021 from any of these teams other than Knicks who will have a ton of cap space in 2021 to improve themselves.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Both Cam Reddish and Huerter aren't someone I'd trade back for.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Camden0916 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:The Garland angle is mainly just that we knew that's the guy Rosas moved up for and he didn't get him. I'm not sure how many people wanted Garland at the end of the day but I don't think anyone was on the trade up to get Culver bandwagon considering we just drafted Okogie the year before.

I'd agree with this take. I liked Jarrett Culver as a prospect from a pre-draft standpoint, but he wasn't my first or second choice for the Wolves primarily because there were better shooters available. I also didn't envision the Wolves trading up. That whole sequence of moves just seems sloppy.

I've never really seen definitive reporting that said Rosas basically only traded up for Garland and missed out on him and HAD to draft Culver. I mean at this point regardless of who he went up to get Garland, Culver or even Coby White none of those guys really feel like a true piece at this point. So in my mind the problem is Rosas trading up not who he did or didn't get...at this point. FWIW I was higher in Coby white than most on this board and I did like Garland but didn't think we would be able to get him and I was concerned about his passing or lack thereof. I wouldn't have traded up for Culver at all but not everyone values guys the same way. I still sorta can't believe Hunter went 4th.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Draft workouts can start today. Teams can only bring in ten guys. The limitation kinda sucks given that we ideally would want to bring in several guys for 1, 17 and 33 and also 3-10 for trade down scenarios. Hopefully, virtual workouts will be adequate for the rest.