Free Agency

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Re: Free Agency

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:Twins signed Dylan Bundy. Better have some moves other than this if you want to compete! Bundy ain't it.

I don't mind the signing but it's very Twins type of signing. Hope he can pitch like 2020 and top 50 prospect he used to be.
Porckchop

Post by Porckchop »

Are they trying to compete? Or do they realize it's rebuild time. I think they're 3-4 years out. I'm surprised Buxton signed for 7 years. You'll get 5 years worth of games out of him and use up his prime winning 75 games a season.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Twins signed Dylan Bundy. Better have some moves other than this if you want to compete! Bundy ain't it.

I don't mind the signing but it's very Twins type of signing. Hope he can pitch like 2020 and top 50 prospect he used to be.

Dylan Bundy...I don't think Baseball pitcher when I hear that name.

Anywho yeah it's a Twins type signing. Not much money not a huge risk the reward is a quality starter for relatively cheap if it works out. They need to sign at least one of these guys. With most of the good starters signed this is kinda what they are left with. I get why people aren't going to be thrilled with this but I don't hate it. Like Pork said in his following post how much are they really trying to compete? I really don't know.

Of the good starters that have signed I think Stroman for 3 years feels like a bit of a missed opportunity but maybe he was just also REALLY wanting to pitch for the Cubs.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

Here's the question. Which category of dumpster dive signings will the Dylan Bundy deal fall into? The ones that have worked out somewhat well were Michael Pineda and Rich Hill. The ones that were trash have been Martin Perez, Homer Bailey, J.A. Happ, and Matt Shoemaker. Let's hope he's not in the latter.

I will say that it's super unfortunate Lance Lynn forgot how to pitch in a Twins uniform. I think they were actually on to something there and he just flopped. Tough break.

By the way, I would have commended the front office had they signed Marcus Stroman to that three-year, $71-million deal. THAT is value. I think that's another missed opportunity. Meanwhile, they'll probably sign another project or two and call it done.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:Here's the question. Which category of dumpster dive signings will the Dylan Bundy deal fall into? The ones that have worked out somewhat well were Michael Pineda and Rich Hill. The ones that were trash have been Martin Perez, Homer Bailey, J.A. Happ, and Matt Shoemaker. Let's hope he's not in the latter.

I will say that it's super unfortunate Lance Lynn forgot how to pitch in a Twins uniform. I think they were actually on to something there and he just flopped. Tough break.

By the way, I would have commended the front office had they signed Marcus Stroman to that three-year, $71-million deal. THAT is value. I think that's another missed opportunity. Meanwhile, they'll probably sign another project or two and call it done.

I been told by pretty reliable source that Stroman didn't want to pitch in the AL for what it's worth.

I would put Bundy on the Pineda like signing. Former top 10 prospect who's career has been derailed by injuries. Hopefully he can figure it out here.

Hopefully Wes Johnson can work his magic.
Monster

Post by Monster »

jester1534 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:Here's the question. Which category of dumpster dive signings will the Dylan Bundy deal fall into? The ones that have worked out somewhat well were Michael Pineda and Rich Hill. The ones that were trash have been Martin Perez, Homer Bailey, J.A. Happ, and Matt Shoemaker. Let's hope he's not in the latter.

I been told by pretty reliable source that Stroman didn't want to pitch in the AL for what it's worth.

I would put Bundy on the Pineda like signing. Former top 10 prospect who's career has been derailed by injuries. Hopefully he can figure it out here.

Thanks for the info Jester.

Jester may know more but I think I remember Lance Lynn wasn't happy here or something was amiss. Quite frankly trading him away wasn't so bad they could have signed him that offseason to what for the Rangers was mostly a nice value deal. I've always felt like that Lance Lynn would have been a nice player to have for the Twins but for whatever the reason it was someone wasn't happy and it wasn't meant to be.

Remember when people were saying Kyle Gibson was someone we missed out on? Well some of the old less appealing Kyle Gibson came back the 2nd half of the season. Should we have kept Odorizzi? I'm more looking at long (ish) term than whether or not they would have been better than the dumpster fire the rotation was last year.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:

I agree Jester. I'm not overly excited about the deal, but if it works out and he pitches like 2020, I'll love it. He's a legit 100 MPH guy with a good slider, and almost a K per inning guy.

My son tells me the Twins let Juan Minaya go. Is that true? He was our best reliever the last half of last season. Doesn't make sense.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

FNG wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

I agree Jester. I'm not overly excited about the deal, but if it works out and he pitches like 2020, I'll love it. He's a legit 100 MPH guy with a good slider, and almost a K per inning guy.

My son tells me the Twins let Juan Minaya go. Is that true? He was our best reliever the last half of last season. Doesn't make sense.

Dylan Bundy hasn't thrown 100 in years, unfortunately. He averaged 90.8 miles per hour on his fastball last year and tops out around 95 depending on where you look. The arm just isn't as live as it used to be.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:
FNG wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

Dylan Bundy hasn't thrown 100 in years, unfortunately. He averaged 90.8 miles per hour on his fastball last year and tops out around 95 depending on where you look. The arm just isn't as live as it used to be.

Yeah coming up he threw 100. Baseball Savant has him at average of 92mph. Hopefully Wes can tweak somethings and get him to 94-95.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:

There have been a couple pitchers already that have been let go and brought back so that may happen with Minaya. The Twins currently have 38 players on the 40 man roster.

I kinda forgot the lockout was gonna happen and now is in effect. I had considered flying down for spring training this year (tickets were stupid cheap) but wasn't sure I would have enough vacation time for that and another trip soon after. Well now who knows when spring training games will start so I won't be doing that.