Free Agency

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
Jester1534

Free Agency

Post by Jester1534 »

Toronto Blue Jays, Jose Berrios reportedly reach 7-year, $131 million extension

What a steal only 18 mil a year he should be making 20+. His agent should be ashamed after the year he had last year.

Btw I think this proofs he wanted out of her and testing Free agency wasn't a priority for him. He always gave the answer saying that it was duty to test FA and he didn't even do that.

As much as I like the money per year this contract could blow up in there face in 3 year. We all know Berrios Velo concerns. If he loses 1-2 mph in the next 3 years he's not going to be a very good pitcher.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Re: Free Agency

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

I would have been pretty happy with Jose Berrios signing that deal in Minnesota a year ago. It's about two years longer than I'd really like it to be, though. The AAV is really good for Toronto and likely the compromise they had to make.

I really love what the Angels did getting Noah Syndergaard on a one-year, $21-million deal. Low risk move with a very high reward. That guy has Cy Young winner talent if he can stay healthy (might big if).
Monster

Post by Monster »

It will be interesting to see what the full details are of the contract are. Will there be any added incentives?

My question is whether or not the Twins were willing to go 7 years of fully guaranteed money. I feel uncertain about that. My guess is that they may have been willing to go that length of deal but it would have been more based on incentives. Right now it seems to me that Berrios prioritized guaranteed long term money than maximizing his potential salary. As a pitcher in particular I think that might have some wisdom to it. You just never know.

Will this be a great deal? Yeah potentially. Even if there are incentives to push his deal to more like 20 million a year in a couple years if salaries go up this could look terrific! Of course if all this money is fully guaranteed and he does have a legit drop off after a couple years then it could be a big financial issue going forward for that franchise. It's not that big though I think it's a pretty good risk.

For the Twins will the prospects they received pan out? Will the salary they aren't playing for Berrios be put to good use? Will the Twins find ways to fill out their rotation? This trade might still not be known if it was a good one even 2-3 years from now maybe for either team.

Edit:

I read there is an option for Berrios at year 5 of the deal. It will also be interesting to see how the salary is structured. Does it start lower and go up in value every year?

The Twins should take a flyer on Clint Frazier. I know he wasn't particularly good last season, but for several seasons prior he was a really good bat that would be a big upgrade over the fourth outfielder options Minnesota kept running out there. And he'll come cheap. I think he'll bounce back wherever he lands.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I been asking this question to a lot of my friends. But should the Twins be in the sweepstakes for one of these high price short stops?

I believe the answer is yes because we have no one in our system ready to take that position. We don't know what Lewis will be and people didn't think he stick there anyway. It sounds like Martin is going to either play 2nd or outfield.

jester1534 wrote:I been asking this question to a lot of my friends. But should the Twins be in the sweepstakes for one of these high price short stops?

I believe the answer is yes because we have no one in our system ready to take that position. We don't know what Lewis will be and people didn't think he stick there anyway. It sounds like Martin is going to either play 2nd or outfield.

I feel like they'll be in the mix for Carlos Correa and Trevor Story, but they'll fall short of signing any of the premium options.

I'm more interested in a scenario where the Phillies sign one of the marquee shortstops and then move Jean Segura for a second-tier prospect.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Camden0916 wrote:
jester1534 wrote:I been asking this question to a lot of my friends. But should the Twins be in the sweepstakes for one of these high price short stops?

I feel like they'll be in the mix for Carlos Correa and Trevor Story, but they'll fall short of signing any of the premium options.

I'm more interested in a scenario where the Phillies sign one of the marquee shortstops and then move Jean Segura for a second-tier prospect.

Story reminds of when they signed JJ hardy probably could get him on a two year deal. I'm sure Story wants to prove last year was wonky year and that he can actually play outside of Coors Field.

Jean Segura would be fine prize though. He would be the solid vet they needed like when they got Orlando Cabrera for the same reasons.
FNG

Post by FNG »

Jester1534 wrote:I been asking this question to a lot of my friends. But should the Twins be in the sweepstakes for one of these high price short stops?

Right now they have Lewis and Martin listed as CF/SS...interesting combo. I understand your support for spending some dough on a high priced SS, because I have some concerns that you are correct that neither steps up enough to become an average defensive SS (I have little concern about their bats though. But I'm not ready to give up on them so early. I know Simmons had a subpar year at the plate, but he is a magician at SS and I'm willing to roll with him until we see what Lewis or Martin can become. I'd rather spend our available bucks on a frontline starting pitcher or two.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

FNG wrote:
Jester1534 wrote:I been asking this question to a lot of my friends. But should the Twins be in the sweepstakes for one of these high price short stops?

Right now they have Lewis and Martin listed as CF/SS...interesting combo. I understand your support for spending some dough on a high priced SS, because I have some concerns that you are correct that neither steps up enough to become an average defensive SS (I have little concern about their bats though. But I'm not ready to give up on them so early. I know Simmons had a subpar year at the plate, but he is a magician at SS and I'm willing to roll with him until we see what Lewis or Martin can become. I'd rather spend our available bucks on a frontline starting pitcher or two.

I would normally agree FNG but this Pitching class sucks ass if your looking for that type of guy. Also most of them aren't even option in my opinion.

Robbie Ray (30, 6.6 bWAR) -- rejected qualifying offer my guess is the Jays will go all in and sign him
Kevin Gausman (31, 5.3) Giants just lost Posey contract so they can afford him
Max Scherzer (37, 5.3) Will sign with a legit big market contender
Carlos Rodón (29, 5.0) He would be my number 1 priority
Anthony DeSclafani (32, 3.9) Not enough track record
Marcus Stroman (30, 3.7) 90% sure he is signing with the cardinals
Clayton Kershaw (34, 2.3) Will go back to Dodgers for peanuts and hes washed up now

Depth Guys that don't move the needle
Danny Duffy (33, 2.1)
Steven Matz (31, 2.0)
Wily Peralta (33, 2.0)
Yusei Kikuchi (31, 1.7)
Michael Pineda (33, 1.4)
Corey Kluber (36, 1.4) Could see a reunion with his Cleveland Friends this year in Falvey and Lavine
Jon Gray (30, 1.3)

My guess we sign Pineda and Kluber. Then roll with Ober and Ryan and have competition for that 5th spot. This FA would be a lot easier if Maeda didn't get hurt.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

List of pitchers I would trade some Mid tier guys for.

Sean Manaea
Chris Bassitt
Luis Castillo
Sonny Gray