Deserved humility

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
TAFKASP

Re: Deserved humility

Post by TAFKASP »

mrhockey89 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:It's easy to pick on the two max contract guys, and they deserve to be criticized. But that loss the other night was a total team disaster. Nobody should be singled out as the culprit(s)

Hi Cool, I do agree with you that the other night's lost was a team disaster, and it completely underscores how badly this team needs RoCo to get healthy, but your comment made me think of the old story about (veteran) Sam Mitchell talking to the young KG after a loss in the lockerroom...

"I tell a story about -- we were in the locker room when KG was in like his third year in the league, and (veteran) Sam Mitchell was sitting in the locker room," Saunders said. "KG was in there, and we had lost a couple games, and we were all sitting there talking.

"KG started going, 'Hey, you've got to start doing more.' And he's talking to some of the bench guys. 'You've got to start doing more.' And Sam said, 'Hey, hold it, hold it. Let me tell you something. You're making all the money. Hey, it's your responsibility. You make the money, you've got to live up to that.' So, that was the mentality, and from that time, KG never ever from that point, he always took responsibility."

Are there two more polar opposites than KG and Wig?
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

TheSP wrote:
mrhockey89 wrote:
CoolBreeze44 wrote:It's easy to pick on the two max contract guys, and they deserve to be criticized. But that loss the other night was a total team disaster. Nobody should be singled out as the culprit(s)

Hi Cool, I do agree with you that the other night's lost was a team disaster, and it completely underscores how badly this team needs RoCo to get healthy, but your comment made me think of the old story about (veteran) Sam Mitchell talking to the young KG after a loss in the lockerroom...

"I tell a story about -- we were in the locker room when KG was in like his third year in the league, and (veteran) Sam Mitchell was sitting in the locker room," Saunders said. "KG was in there, and we had lost a couple games, and we were all sitting there talking.

"KG started going, 'Hey, you've got to start doing more.' And he's talking to some of the bench guys. 'You've got to start doing more.' And Sam said, 'Hey, hold it, hold it. Let me tell you something. You're making all the money. Hey, it's your responsibility. You make the money, you've got to live up to that.' So, that was the mentality, and from that time, KG never ever from that point, he always took responsibility."

Are there two more polar opposites than KG and Wig?

In terms of what? Character? Yes.
thedoper

Post by thedoper »

Wiggins needs to start punching the white guys on the team.
Monster

Post by Monster »

thedoper wrote:Wiggins needs to start punching the white guys on the team.

What did Saric do to deserve this comment?!?! Lol
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

Wiggins is a nice guy and doesn't rock the boat, but his presence is corrosive because of his seeming indifference to winning/losing/how he plays while being the highest paid guy on the team. That sets a bad tone for the rest of the team. Why care when your highest paid player doesn't?

KAT at least shows he cares a good chunk of the time and he's actually pretty damn good on top of that. But there are certain matchups he seems to go into the fetal position against - Horford and Embiid being two of them.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

monsterpile wrote:

Lol. Remember our essentially All White starting 4 or 5? Was it Rubio, Love, Kirilenko, who am i missing?
worldK

Post by worldK »

BizarroJerry wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

Lol. Remember our essentially All White starting 4 or 5? Was it Rubio, Love, Kirilenko, who am i missing?

Pek and ridnour.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

:d
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

Q12543 wrote:Wiggins is a nice guy and doesn't rock the boat, but his presence is corrosive because of his seeming indifference to winning/losing/how he plays while being the highest paid guy on the team. That sets a bad tone for the rest of the team. Why care when your highest paid player doesn't?

KAT at least shows he cares a good chunk of the time and he's actually pretty damn good on top of that. But there are certain matchups he seems to go into the fetal position against - Horford and Embiid being two of them.

I think the key here is the "seeming indifference" to winning and losing. I can't tell you why he can't bring it every night, but every coach has said he has a fire burning inside and cares greatly. I don't know him well enough to dispute that. But I will admit it doesn't show often enough.
Q12543 [enjin:6621299]

Post by Q12543 [enjin:6621299] »

CoolBreeze44 wrote:
Q12543 wrote:Wiggins is a nice guy and doesn't rock the boat, but his presence is corrosive because of his seeming indifference to winning/losing/how he plays while being the highest paid guy on the team. That sets a bad tone for the rest of the team. Why care when your highest paid player doesn't?

I think the key here is the "seeming indifference" to winning and losing. I can't tell you why he can't bring it every night, but every coach has said he has a fire burning inside and cares greatly. I don't know him well enough to dispute that. But I will admit it doesn't show often enough.

His coaches and him can say that all they want, but anyone that has watched him knows it's clear as day that he doesn't give full effort very often. And when he does, he can be a game changer. It's a shame and I really hope we figure out a way to move on from him, as I don't think it's good for the team culture.

I actually love athletes with stoic demeanors - Barry Sanders for example - LOVED the way he carried himself and let his play do the talking. Kawhi Leonard is another one. But these guys produced.