Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Windhorst: Sam Mitchell won't be returning

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I think that with the news out, it's ok for me to post my opinion on yesterday's developments...and this is strictly my opinion. I'm always open to anything that makes this franchise better, but I don't think firing Mitchell was a good move. What this franchise needs (and has not had since Flip was fired in 2005) is stability, and another coaching change is the opposite of stability. In the next 3-4 months a new coach will be announced, and he will be the 10th head coach in the 11 years since Flip was fired in 2005...I'm fairly certain no other team has a revolving door like that! While I agreed with the Rambis and Wittman dismissals, I thought the other firings (Saunders, McHale. and Casey...I assume Adelman's departure was a mutual agreement) were rather knee-jerk and and had a negative impact on the fortunes of the franchise. I hope that the Mitchell dismissal doesn't backfire like those moves did, and doesn't end up being another setback just as things are starting to look brighter.

The Korn Ferry decision is odd to me. Q is right...they are the gold standard in executive search and I have dealt with them several times. But they specialize in finding high-level business and financial executives. I don't think the collective basketball knowledge within their firm would approach the level of this board, and I'm not really sure what they bring to the table. I sense that it is mostly for show. Glen may still be reeling from his David Kahn choice, and having a search firm involved helps deflect some ciriticism if the choice doesn't work out (see Teague, Norwood)...it's the smart business move as expected from a smart businessman. But the fact of the matter is KF will need a few weeks just to approach the level of suitable contacts Glen already has...in his role of chairman of the ownership group, no owner is more connected than Glen.

So, what does KF do? Although, the press release says they will be involved in a search for both a PBO and a head coach, most of us have a difficult time believing the new PBO isn't going to choose the new coach (with Glen's blessing, of course)...or perhaps be the next coach. So I'm assuming KF will only be involved in the PBO search (although I don't know this for sure) and that the new head coach will be PBO's decision. A sequential process like this takes time, especially when a search firm is involved, and it's probably unlikely that the process will be completed by draft day. A search team needs to justify their exorbitant fees, and will go about this very deliberately. I would expect that they will take 4-6 weeks to assemble and interview a list of suitable candidates, and present Glen with a slate sometime in late May. Then Glen and his co-owners will take some time background checking and interviewing each candidate, and that might take another month. Take a look at the current U of M AD search process to fully appreciate how slowly this might move. My best guess is that the 2016 draft will be conducted by GM Milt Newton...not ideal, but not a disaster either. More importantly, the new PBO will hopefully be on board to play an active role in late summer free agency.

What kind of person will KF be looking for? Well, they were hired by Glen, so I assume they will looking for someone that Glen would like. Ultimately, Sam was fired not for his on-court performance and player development, but because of his prickly personality with the media and fans...just not Glen's style. I would expect they will be looking for a good basketball mind, but more of a congenial, Midwestern personality. Think of a Flip/McHale/Hoiberg type, not a Thibs/JVG type. And that's not all bad...congenial and Midwestern does not necessarily mean non-competitive.

So, while I would have given Sam more time to continue developing these young guys and build on this year's improvement, I'm optimistic about this franchise and hopeful that the new hires move us forward and not backward like previous moves. Our young players have huge upside but need a lot of help in some areas, especially defensively. Hopefully our new coach will continue the development and improvement we saw this year, and increase our win total by 80% like Sam did...I'm sure we would all be happy with 52 wins next year!
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:It's gonna be Thibodeau.

I think Garnett helps grease those wheels (Taylor's ear) to make that happen.

[Note: Not gonna lie. Part of me wants it to happen just so Cool and I can stop agreeing on stuff and get back to being each other's nemesis. It just feels more natural. :thumb: ]

Yeah, I realize I'm on an island with this one. I wouldn't hate a Thibodeau hiring, but there would be some disappointment given the other candidates available. But to be fair, I was on somewhat of an island when I bemoaned the Mitchell hire as an assistant - fearing he would eventually become head coach. With apologies to LST, most eventually came around to the same sentiment I voiced years ago.

Now we have a chance to do something right, something that could erase a few of the wrongs we've endured. With the hiring of the search firm I believe the process will be thorough, and give us at least a chance to get the right guy for the job. I tend not to believe that Thibodeau is an odds on favorite. We should know soon.
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

I wouldn't hate a Thibs hiring either, cool, but I don't see it as likely. I think it was difficult for Glen watching Mitchell's impatience with the media and fans this year, and Thibs in many ways is cut from the same cloth. By all reports, he's an odd guy. Loves basketball, but lives a rather isolated life and lacks some basic people skills. I'm not sure Glen wants to take on another guy who doesn't have the patience to be gentle with the media...or with ownership, for that matter. Thibs' winning percentage as a head coach ensures he will get another chance...but he will continue to do things "his way" and that will get him fired again, even if he wins. (There are some exceptions, like Bill Bellicek...but he keeps his job by winning championships). Thibs seems to have a brilliant basketball mind, but he, like Mitchell, lacks the patience and people skills owners want to see in their head coach. He'll go through one or two more trials as head coach before the league understands what his ceiling is...a very, very good assistant coach who any head coach would want on his team, but who doesn't have the tools to deal with ownership or the media.
TeamRicky [enjin:6648771]

Post by TeamRicky [enjin:6648771] »

I think the whole search process is unnecessary and for show and to insulate Glen from criticism. There's no need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars when this board and probably Milt Newton could easily put together a nice list and get the ball rolling right away. Of course Glen knows the high profile candidates like Thibs, JVG, Brooks, Walton, Blatt and Hornacek. And then there's McHale, Calipari,Ollie and highly regarded Atlanta assistant Kenny Atkinson.
Coolbreeze44

Post by Coolbreeze44 »

longstrangetrip wrote:I wouldn't hate a Thibs hiring either, cool, but I don't see it as likely. I think it was difficult for Glen watching Mitchell's impatience with the media and fans this year, and Thibs in many ways is cut from the same cloth. By all reports, he's an odd guy. Loves basketball, but lives a rather isolated life and lacks some basic people skills. I'm not sure Glen wants to take on another guy who doesn't have the patience to be gentle with the media...or with ownership, for that matter. Thibs' winning percentage as a head coach ensures he will get another chance...but he will continue to do things "his way" and that will get him fired again, even if he wins. (There are some exceptions, like Bill Bellicek...but he keeps his job by winning championships). Thibs seems to have a brilliant basketball mind, but he, like Mitchell, lacks the patience and people skills owners want to see in their head coach. He'll go through one or two more trials as head coach before the league understands what his ceiling is...a very, very good assistant coach who any head coach would want on his team, but who doesn't have the tools to deal with ownership or the media.

I think you have a very good handle on this LST. There's more to being a head coach than x's and o's. I'm eager to see how this plays out.

JVG is 4 years younger than Thibs and is much more of a people person. Both are in my top 3 choices, but does anyone worry that Thibs might ruffle feathers or alienate any of our core players. The other worry about Thibs is he's 58 which is not exactly young and he would not likely be coaching through the duration of KAT and Andrew's career if they play another 18 to 20 years. Despite my concerns, I would be thrilled with Thibs, but I can see valid reasons to go with someone younger and more amiable if they have a brilliant basketball mind and proven coaching track record.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

TeamRicky wrote:JVG is 4 years younger than Thibs and is much more of a people person. Both are in my top 3 choices, but does anyone worry that Thibs might ruffle feathers or alienate any of our core players. The other worry about Thibs is he's 58 which is not exactly young and he would not likely be coaching through the duration of KAT and Andrew's career if they play another 18 to 20 years. Despite my concerns, I would be thrilled with Thibs, but I can see valid reasons to go with someone younger and more amiable if they have a brilliant basketball mind and proven coaching track record.

1) Considering only 3 players in NBA history have played that long for one team...
2) Considering only 2 coaches in NBA history have coached that long for one team...

You have super duper high expectations.

http://www.sportstalkatl.com/kenny-atkinson-could-be-a-hot-head-coach-commodity/

Article about Kenny Atkinson. He's Atlanta's top assistant and will also be the new coach for the Dominican Republic, KAT's team. He's also one of the first assistant coaches to be listed for head coaching vacancies. The article suggests he might be able to sway Horford from Atlanta. I don't know enough about him to compare him to the big 3 of JVG, Thibs and Brooks, but he's intriguing and younger and Atlanta had arguably the best defense in the NBA this year (based on lowest opponent FG%).

Here is an excerpt "If you get to Phillips Arena early enough before games, you'll see Atkinson and Darvin Ham in their sweats helping drill and warm up their players. He is a player's coach. According to former Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman, "There is nobody better than Kenny at developing players." Remember Jeremy Lin? Atkinson was instrumental in "Linsanity" back in his time with the Knicks. Lin is quoted in an article by Frank Isola saying, "I'll text after a game at midnight, 1 o'clock when I go home and I'll say, 'Hey can I look at those turnovers. Can I look at the upcoming team? How they run pick and rolls?' And he'll have the film ready when I walk into the facility the next morning." Atkinson's devotion to the sport as well as his players is second to none. Working under Budenholzer and Mike D'Antoni, Atkinson has also worked under highly efficient offenses. He knows his X's and O's. He will space the floor and promote a ton of quick ball movement.

Anybody have any thoughts on him?

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
TeamRicky wrote:JVG is 4 years younger than Thibs and is much more of a people person. Both are in my top 3 choices, but does anyone worry that Thibs might ruffle feathers or alienate any of our core players. The other worry about Thibs is he's 58 which is not exactly young and he would not likely be coaching through the duration of KAT and Andrew's career if they play another 18 to 20 years. Despite my concerns, I would be thrilled with Thibs, but I can see valid reasons to go with someone younger and more amiable if they have a brilliant basketball mind and proven coaching track record.

1) Considering only 3 players in NBA history have played that long for one team...
2) Considering only 2 coaches in NBA history have coached that long for one team...

You have super duper high expectations.

LOL. Having suffered so many years as a Wolve's fan, I probably am getting carried away in my expectations. Thanks for bringing me down to earth. Maybe Thibs could get us 8-10 good years and then we can hopefully find a good replacement. I hope I am around long enough to see this though.
BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520]

Post by BizarroJerry [enjin:6592520] »

Was Korn Ferry the same firm that told the Browns to take Bridgewater? I hope the Korn Ferry gives us JVG! (but I wouldn't hate Thibs either).