Spring Training 2017

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

Re: Spring Training 2017

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

It would be nice to see Mauer have a rebound season and hit north of .300 again this year and next and then retire with a BA over 300.

Jose sent down.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/pitching-in-wbc-cost-jose-berrios-spot-on-twins-opening-day-roster-191410550.html
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Jose sent down.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/pitching-in-wbc-cost-jose-berrios-spot-on-twins-opening-day-roster-191410550.html

Yeah, this WBC is a weird thing...Jose only got a few innings of work, and he ended up way behind the others.

Santana and Gibson have been terrific all spring, but the next three are a mystery. I think we start the season like this:

Santana
Gibby
Hughes
Santiago
Mejia (Duffey gets sent down)

Hughes has been terrible, and will likely be replaced by Berrios by June. I of course would also like to see Stephen Gonsalves up sometime this year if anyone falters or gets hurt.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:

Yeah, this WBC is a weird thing...Jose only got a few innings of work, and he ended up way behind the others.

Santana and Gibson have been terrific all spring, but the next three are a mystery. I think we start the season like this:

Santana
Gibby
Hughes
Santiago

Hughes has been terrible, and will likely be replaced by Berrios by June. I of course would also like to see Stephen Gonsalves up sometime this year if anyone falters or gets hurt.

It sounded like Duffy had the inside track on that last spot. It seems like Molitor likes him and he has pitched in the majors already. Mejia has pitched 12 games at AAA and one of those games was in 2013. If it's close it might make sense to let him pitch more at that level.

monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Santana
Gibby
Hughes
Santiago

It sounded like Duffy had the inside track on that last spot. It seems like Molitor likes him and he has pitched in the majors already. Mejia has pitched 12 games at AAA and one of those games was in 2013. If it's close it might make sense to let him pitch more at that level.

Yeah, could be monster. I'm going off some comments Molitor made yesterday after Mejia gave up a lot of runs in his last outing against minor leaguers. I thought that clinched it for Duffey, but Mollie said the defense really hurt Mejia, and that he would make his decision based on the entire spring, not just the last outing. And Mejia has been better than Duffey this spring. But you're right...Duffey might be the safer choice.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Santana
Gibby
Hughes
Santiago

Yeah, could be monster. I'm going off some comments Molitor made yesterday after Mejia gave up a lot of runs in his last outing against minor leaguers. I thought that clinched it for Duffey, but Mollie said the defense really hurt Mejia, and that he would make his decision based on the entire spring, not just the last outing. And Mejia has been better than Duffey this spring. But you're right...Duffey might be the safer choice.

Thanks for the info then maybe it's still up in the air. Who makes it doesn't really matter too much to me and I haven't watched any games.

Twins to carry 16 pitchers.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/03/twins-send-byungho-park-six-others-will-start-year-13-pitchers/

Not sure how Park was sent down.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Twins to carry 16 pitchers.

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/03/twins-send-byungho-park-six-others-will-start-year-13-pitchers/

Not sure how Park was sent down.

It's certainly a surprise but Park being sent down makes sense if you are going to keep pitchers instead of a power DH type. He isn't on the 40 man roster and let's be honest pitcher is the question mark on this team more than anything. Other than Santana (Gibson has pitched well in ST) who do you know will give you 5 innings for sure right now out of the starters? On the other hand the optimism about this team offensively could be pretty legit. From what I hear Grossman sucks in the OF so if you want his bat in the lineup he should be DH most of the time. I'd assume Santana makes the roster as a versatile guy and if he doesn't do anything exciting he gets dumped when someone comes off the DL. I'm guessing Park gets his shot at some point possibly soon and someone will falter and or get hurt or they send down a picker and bring up a position player.

Another consideration is the Towns have the #1 waiver spot for the next few weeks so keeping their options open to pick up other players could be another angle they are looking at.

I don't know...I'm baffled by the Park demotion. He had far and away the best spring of any Twin and by all reports was carrying himself with much more confidence and looking forward to a productive season...his slugging average was over .700 I think! And then we send him down and instead keep a marginal player (Grossman) with a gimpy groin. Just a bizarre choice. I haven't talked with one fan today that is on board with this move. I get that Park wasn't on the 40-man, but there were several moves the Twins could have made to amend that. I want to be excited about the new braintrust, but this doesn't help.
Monster

Post by Monster »

longstrangetrip wrote:I don't know...I'm baffled by the Park demotion. He had far and away the best spring of any Twin and by all reports was carrying himself with much more confidence and looking forward to a productive season...his slugging average was over .700 I think! And then we send him down and instead keep a marginal player (Grossman) with a gimpy groin. Just a bizarre choice. I haven't talked with one fan today that is on board with this move. I get that Park wasn't on the 40-man, but there were several moves the Twins could have made to amend that. I want to be excited about the new braintrust, but this doesn't help.

Who would you have let go to add Park? I think there are some...un worthy candidates. :)

Another question how exactly do you know that Park is a superior player to Grossman? Will Grossman be the guy he was last year when he was basically terrific all but one month with the bat? Idk I'm guessing he regresses but it may be worth finding out what he can do for now. That OBP was crazy good last year.