Around the League - '24-25 Season

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
KG4Ever

Re: Around the League - '24-25 Season

Post by KG4Ever »

Monster wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:19 am Gordon Hayward retires. That's both surprising and not surprising. He seems like a guy that could still play and help a team but he may not have had interest in playing for the vet min and fighting for minutes. That's a different role and not every player does well transitioning to that role. It also gives other players a chance at an NBA roster spot.

He has made over 270 million so it's not like he probably needs the money. In addition I could see him being a guy that wouldn't have too hard of a time finding a spot making some money in the sport as a coach etc or in broadcasting.
Maybe, no NBA team even was offering the minimum and this was a face-saving announcement. I'm not that surprised given his age, injury history and he hasn't been that impactful lately.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

KG4Ever wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:17 pm
Monster wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:19 am Gordon Hayward retires. That's both surprising and not surprising. He seems like a guy that could still play and help a team but he may not have had interest in playing for the vet min and fighting for minutes. That's a different role and not every player does well transitioning to that role. It also gives other players a chance at an NBA roster spot.

He has made over 270 million so it's not like he probably needs the money. In addition I could see him being a guy that wouldn't have too hard of a time finding a spot making some money in the sport as a coach etc or in broadcasting.
Maybe, no NBA team even was offering the minimum and this was a face-saving announcement. I'm not that surprised given his age, injury history and he hasn't been that impactful lately.
The injury history is legit. But, he's still definitely good enough for a vet minimum deal.

He averaged 15/5/5 on 56% TS last year in Charlotte (25 games).
Monster

Post by Monster »

Lonnie Walker signs with the Celtics on an exhibit 10 training camp deal. How bad is his defense?

I know some guys have had their market dry up but I also see some guys clearly taking less money to play for better teams and in some cases better chances to playing time. I wonder if Walker is a guy that had some solid or at least decent offers from average or bad teams but wanted to be on a winning team. Celtics are certainly a very good team. I don't fault most players for going somewhere for more money.

Meanwhile there are still some worthwhile FAs and even guys like Troy Brown Jr (turned 25 in July) out there looking for a spot.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

Monster wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:36 am Lonnie Walker signs with the Celtics on an exhibit 10 training camp deal. How bad is his defense?

I know some guys have had their market dry up but I also see some guys clearly taking less money to play for better teams and in some cases better chances to playing time. I wonder if Walker is a guy that had some solid or at least decent offers from average or bad teams but wanted to be on a winning team. Celtics are certainly a very good team. I don't fault most players for going somewhere for more money.

Meanwhile there are still some worthwhile FAs and even guys like Troy Brown Jr (turned 25 in July) out there looking for a spot.
The new CBA went too far, players make leak they had better offers elsewhere but the reality is teams are not willing to spend for some of these non stars anymore. Bad teams are going to suck for Flagg and not pay up. Word is OKC is going after Fultz, I would try to grab him first. Fultz can play next to Rob just fine in the 2nd unit.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

rapsuperstar31 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:56 am
Monster wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:36 am Lonnie Walker signs with the Celtics on an exhibit 10 training camp deal. How bad is his defense?

The new CBA went too far, players make leak they had better offers elsewhere but the reality is teams are not willing to spend for some of these non stars anymore. Bad teams are going to suck for Flagg and not pay up. Word is OKC is going after Fultz, I would try to grab him first. Fultz can play next to Rob just fine in the 2nd unit.
Fultz would have to be very ok with not playing some nights then and I think he's trying to avoid that situation.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I think Fultz options are limited for playing in the NBA and he'll take what he can get at this point. Same is true for Dennis Smith. We signed Dozier, why?
Monster

Post by Monster »

KG4Ever wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:04 pm I think Fultz options are limited for playing in the NBA and he'll take what he can get at this point. Same is true for Dennis Smith. We signed Dozier, why?
At this point they have waited this long why not wait longer? Why lock into a spot where you may not have a chance at playing time when in a week or 2 weeks or a month a team could have injuries and need a guy? These guys are waiting for an opportunity at this point and are likely going to get just the vet min wherever they sign. If either of these guys are willing to sign with MN for the vet min if I was the GM I would be telling ownership it's worth it regardless of Dozier being on the roster.