Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Q-is-here

Re: 2024 Wolves Free Agency

Post by Q-is-here »

rapsuperstar31 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:33 pm
kekgeek wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:13 pm
BloopOracle wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:07 pm

Tim is a madman for even trying lol
I honestly have no idea how the wolves could even acquire him legally.

Wolves can’t obtain more salary: so Naz does not work.

Wolves can’t aggregate players in a trade: so combining Naz + other pieces does not work.

Wolves have no first round picks to trade (technically can eliminate protections on that 2029 pick).

Then why do the Jazz do Lauri for either Kat or Jaden?
Would have to be a three way Kat to Houston, Houston sends picks and players to Utah.
Laurie plays how Finch would probably want KAT to play on offense - just constantly spacing the floor, spending time in the corners, and launching 3s. While KAT is perfectly capable of doing this, he has fallen in love with his driving game and likes to mix things up versus just being a shooter.

The downside is that I'm not sure Laurie can play Center and bang with guys like Jokic, something KAT has gotten better at over the last few years.

Interesting though that the Wolves were mentioned.
Sundog

Post by Sundog »

Can teams in the 2nd apron aggregate incoming salaries in a trade? I know they can’t aggregate outgoing salaries…

I don’t know how up to date the ESPN trade machine is on the CBA, but KAT for Markkanen, Sexton and Kessler works on that app :-)
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

Sundog wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:03 pm Can teams in the 2nd apron aggregate incoming salaries in a trade? I know they can’t aggregate outgoing salaries…

I don’t know how up to date the ESPN trade machine is on the CBA, but KAT for Markkanen, Sexton and Kessler works on that app :-)
Utah is trying to get younger and accumulate draft picks so at least one more team would need to be involved to take KAT and give Utah picks or young players. I have mixed feelings about doing a straight Lauri for KAT trade, but I might favor it if we got Kessler too.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I wonder if Knicks having lost Hartenstein, would value Naz enough to offer DiVincenzo. The trade works!

I'd love to have DiVincenzo as he is money from beyond the arc, is a decent passer, plays with a lot of energy and can be disruptive on defense, steals a lot of passes and has a very high basketball IQ. I know some fans who love Naz might balk, but Naz is only on a one year deal and DiVincenzo is signed for three on a terrific contract.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Connelly was on the Barreiro show today for almost an hour. They put the interview up on Youtube. Obviously nothing earth shattering, but lots of good info about the playoffs, draft and free agency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrojUPZDzvU
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Sundog wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:03 pm Can teams in the 2nd apron aggregate incoming salaries in a trade? I know they can’t aggregate outgoing salaries…

Yea you can. The wolves can’t aggregate salaries going out
Monster

Post by Monster »

60WinTim wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:20 pm Connelly was on the Barreiro show today for almost an hour. They put the interview up on Youtube. Obviously nothing earth shattering, but lots of good info about the playoffs, draft and free agency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrojUPZDzvU
Thanks for posting.
kekgeek

Post by kekgeek »

Dane has heard the name Doug Mccbuckets from a source
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

kekgeek wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:19 pm Dane has heard the name Doug Mccbuckets from a source
I imagine TC has given Monte and SloMo a deadline for choosing to return. After that, its plan B…
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

kekgeek wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:13 pm
BloopOracle wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:07 pm
kekgeek wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:00 pm The Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings are showing interest in Lauri Markkanen, per @JakeLFischer

“In addition to Golden State, Sacramento and San Antonio have been the two other teams characterized by league figures with knowledge of the situation as strong possible suitors for Markkanen at this point. For the Kings to land Markkanen, NBA personnel believe the Jazz would require Sacramento to part with Keegan Murray, and that might leave other trade options like Brandon Ingram as a more palatable outcome for the Kings. Minnesota has shown interest in Markkanen as well, sources said. Philadelphia never appeared to place real attention on Markkanen throughout the Sixers’ long approach of finding a third star to slot between Joel Embiid and Tyrese Maxey.”

(Via yhoo.it/3VQgixc)
Tim is a madman for even trying lol
I honestly have no idea how the wolves could even acquire him legally.

Wolves can’t obtain more salary: so Naz does not work.

Wolves can’t aggregate players in a trade: so combining Naz + other pieces does not work.

Wolves have no first round picks to trade (technically can eliminate protections on that 2029 pick).

Then why do the Jazz do Lauri for either Kat or Jaden?
If anyone can pull it of, Tim Connelly can. As Cool wrote, TC is worth every penny he’s paid and then some. You’re right that the outgoing Wolves player would have to be Jaden, Rudy or KAT. It’s not going to be Jaden. That means, it would be one of our two bigs. Does Utah want Rudy back to mentor Kessler? Possible, but I doubt it. So there would probably have to be a third team. That team would have to be a good playoff team with cap space that believes KAT or Rudy could make them a contender. Since I can’t see TC trading Rudy or KAT to a Western Conference team, I think the third team would likely be in the Eastern Conference. The one team that jumps to the fore is Indiana. The Knicks and Sixers have made moves this summer that put them in the mix to possibly challenge the Celtics. Orlando is on a steep upward trajectory and has also made some moves to improve so far this offseason. Trading for KAT without giving up Haliburton or Siakam would instantly elevate the Pacers into the conversation. They can trade any of their future 1st round picks starting in 2028. The also have the rights to Utah’s 2027 2nd round pick and could give back the rights to that pick. They have some young guys like Jackson who might interest the rebuilding Jazz.

Why would the Wolves do it? One reason would be to get out from under KAT’s contract, which combines with a few other big contracts to push us over the 2nd apron. Q alluded to another reason - i.e., Laurie would be a much better fit than KAT for Finch’s preferred style of play. But as Q also suggested, it would be a step back defensively. Hard to believe, I know. But KAT has become a good defender who can guard some centers like Jokic better than Rudy. Laurie can’t do that. Overall, Laurie is a poor defender. Trading KAT for Laurie and having Dilly in the rotation would likely mean the Wolves no longer being the NBA’s best defensive team. But our offense could be really exciting.

I keep replaying in my head a comment TC made in his post-draft presser. He said the organization made it a priority to get faster and more athletic and that they wanted to add more athletic players to their three elite athletes - Ant, Jaden and Naz. He added that Finch likes to place with space and pace. That’s why I see TC keeping Jaden and Naz long term. Having both Rudy and KAT doesn’t fit that team profile for Finchie’s preferred style of play and I think TC is set on eventually transitioning to a different type of team that is still good defensively, but faster, more athletic and not oriented around two bigs.

I’m not suggesting a KAT for Laurie trade is likely. In fact, I think it’s unlikely. But if we’ve learned anything about TC, we’ve learned that he’s not afraid to make bold moves and he has a knack for finding deals where others might not.