2024 Wolves Free Agency

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
60WinTim

2024 Wolves Free Agency

Post by 60WinTim »

Welp, this looks like it could be the most boring free agency we have seen in a long time. With the exception of JMac, the Wolves are saying they want all their FAs back, which would fill out the roster, and we will be done for the summer.

Today, 6/28, is the day Minott's '24-25 salary becomes guaranteed, which I assume will happen. Tomorrow, 6/29, is the deadline for extending Qualifying Offers to both Garza and Nix (two-way), which I assume both will happen.

TC does not fart around, so if any of our FAs want to test the market and drag this thing out, I would expect TC to move on rather quickly. Monte should sign quickly. Garza might hang for a bit, but he will be a restricted FA. SloMo is the only mystery: will he find and take more money elsewhere? If he leaves, then the Wolves will be in the market for a vet minimum guy to replace him.

Our two-way slots look to be filled as well: Clark is still on a two-way, Nix will the Qualifying Offer for his two-way, and it seems Jesse Edwards will soon be announced as the 3rd two-way.

We do have a couple of interesting dates coming up:
- July 6th is when Rudy is eligible for a contract extension. But these things usually don't get done in a timely manner.
- July 22nd is when Minott is eligible for a contract extension. But he needs to prove a lot before anything would get down there.

So, Summer League is about the only thing we have to look forward to...
Lipoli390

Re: 2024 Wolves Free Agency

Post by Lipoli390 »

Yep. I’m thanking we had a great draft. I can live off that for the rest of the summer. :)

If Morris doesn’t re-sign, then I would expect the Wolves to keep JMac. The good news from Morris’s poor play last season is that he’s not going to command a lot of money in the FA market. So I expect him to re-sign at a reasonable amount. I don’t see Slo Mo going anywhere. The Wolves can offer him as much as they want using their Bird rights. (Same with Morris). So we can’t really be outbid unless the Wolves have some luxury tax threshold they refuse to exceed, but that wouldn’t make sense considering where this team’s current payroll and luxury tax liability. The Wolves organization is at a point where it makes no sense to make decisions based on cost. Those cost-based decisions are for next summer, not this one.
60WinTim

Post by 60WinTim »

Friday has come and gone and there was no news on Josh Minott, which is good news because now his 24-25' salary is guaranteed.

Big day today, though. Do we get QOs tendered to Garza and Nix?

I have some growing skepticism that SloMo will be back. He was our 8th man in terms of minutes, playing both the 3 and 4. But he didn't seem as effective at the 3. There is a real opportunity for Shannon getting some of those minutes at the 3. And at some point Minott and/or Miller need to find some minutes. We might end up looking for a vet minimum player to provide depth at the 4.

I see a real need for Morris. Hopefully the Dilly pick doesn't make him think twice!
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

60WinTim wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:55 am Friday has come and gone and there was no news on Josh Minott, which is good news because now his 24-25' salary is guaranteed.

Big day today, though. Do we get QOs tendered to Garza and Nix?

I have some growing skepticism that SloMo will be back. He was our 8th man in terms of minutes, playing both the 3 and 4. But he didn't seem as effective at the 3. There is a real opportunity for Shannon getting some of those minutes at the 3. And at some point Minott and/or Miller need to find some minutes. We might end up looking for a vet minimum player to provide depth at the 4.

I see a real need for Morris. Hopefully the Dilly pick doesn't make him think twice!
I agree on the need to keep Morris. I’m excited about Rob Dillingham but we absolutely cannot depend on him to be our main backup PG if we intend to complete for a title again.
Monster

Post by Monster »

I assume we won't have room for him and he might look for a better opportunity but Troy Brown Jr's 2nd year option will not be picked up (no surprise there). For a non-guaranteed vet min deal he would provide some solid depth.
WildWolf2813

Post by WildWolf2813 »

if Kyle and/or Morris wanna come back on reduced salaries for a year, sure, why not?

My guess is that someone offers Kyle a 2 year MLE in hopes that he can give them what he gave us.

McLaughlin goes. Don't see a reason for him to stay now. We need two short backup PG's?

Nix goes to summer league, signs elsewhere.

For Garza's sake, let him go somewhere else. Overseas, he can make a gaggle of money and be great. I don't mind him coming back though.

Get the best 2 guys from summer league on two-ways, preferably a wing and a big.

My top free agent target on a vet min would be Lonnie Walker. See if he wants the initial backup SF minutes. My long shot would be Oscar Tshiebwe on a two way or even vet min. He averaged 16 and 16 in G-League. We need more rebounders. Great Garza replacement.

Give Clark a 4 year deal with opt outs each year.

C Gobert/Reid /Tshiebwe
PF Towns /Anderson/Miller
SF McDaniels /Walker /Minott
SG Edwards /Alexander-Walker /Shannon
PG Conley /Dillingham /Clark

two-ways go to most deserving SL guys. We shouldn't overload on depth because we do need to figure out whether Miller, Clark and Minott can actually stick.
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I'd probably keep Clark on a two-way if he's out of the rotation. I want to have one young point guard besides Dillingham as a two way or end of the rotation to benefit by Conley's mentorship and also we will need a young backup to RD when Conley retires. My candidates include keeping Nix or signing TyTy who had very impressive G League stats or Killian Hayes as a defensive minded point guard (the antithesis of RD). Heck, sign all of them if you can and let them compete for a final roster spot.
Phenom

Post by Phenom »

I'm curious if the Wolves sit back and see who gets squeezed into the minimum market. Could get a bargain or 2.
rapsuperstar31

Post by rapsuperstar31 »

WildWolf2813 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:06 pm if Kyle and/or Morris wanna come back on reduced salaries for a year, sure, why not?

My guess is that someone offers Kyle a 2 year MLE in hopes that he can give them what he gave us.

McLaughlin goes. Don't see a reason for him to stay now. We need two short backup PG's?

Nix goes to summer league, signs elsewhere.

For Garza's sake, let him go somewhere else. Overseas, he can make a gaggle of money and be great. I don't mind him coming back though.

Get the best 2 guys from summer league on two-ways, preferably a wing and a big.

My top free agent target on a vet min would be Lonnie Walker. See if he wants the initial backup SF minutes. My long shot would be Oscar Tshiebwe on a two way or even vet min. He averaged 16 and 16 in G-League. We need more rebounders. Great Garza replacement.

Give Clark a 4 year deal with opt outs each year.

C Gobert/Reid /Tshiebwe
PF Towns /Anderson/Miller
SF McDaniels /Walker /Minott
SG Edwards /Alexander-Walker /Shannon
PG Conley /Dillingham /Clark

two-ways go to most deserving SL guys. We shouldn't overload on depth because we do need to figure out whether Miller, Clark and Minott can actually stick.
Sounds like Walker has a chip on his shoulder, we should grab him if we can.

Lonnie Walker IV had this to say before Free Agency. "I ain't even reached my prime yet, yall gonna see soon. The apology better be just as loud as the disrespect."
KG4Ever

Post by KG4Ever »

I think there will be a lot of options to sign guys for minimum deals, and maybe with the Wolves success, we'll attract more of them. I really want Kyle and Monte back and everyone else will be on a minimum deal.
Some guys I'd keep in mind (I left out anyone I assumed was getting much more than minimum dollars, but hey if someone like DeRozan wants to take a minimum deal to come here, I'd have included him):
Center: Bitadze, Cody Zeller, Mo Bamba, Valanciunas, Wiseman, Eubanks, Daniel Theis, Oscar Tschiebwe, Nerlens Noel, Damian Jones, Moses Brown
Power Forward: Jalen Smith, Dario Saric, Jae Crowder, Kevin Love, Sadiq Bey
Small Forward: Cedi Osman, Robert Covington, Javonte Green, Troy Brown, Gallinari, Nicolas Batum, Gordon Heyward, Kelly Oubre, Doug McDermott, Naji Marshall, Jordan Nwora
Shooting Guard: D'Anthony Melton, Gary Harris, Luke Kennard, Evan Fournier, Eric Gordon, Alec Burks, Lonnie Walker
Point Guard: Marquelle Fultz, Dennis Smith, Kris Dunn, Killian Hayes, TyTy Washington, Cameron Payne, Delon Wright, Dinwiddie, Aaron Holiday