Might as well talk draft....

Any And All Things T-Wolves Related
Monster

Re: Might as well talk draft....

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2916758-2020-nba-draft-buzz-is-a-new-no-1-pick-emerging

I won't take this as anything besides more draft smoke, but I hope there's some semblance of truth there. James Wiseman is the best talent in this draft. I've been hooked on that wagon for over a year now and didn't think it was a hot or even warm take considering he was the top ranked recruit and the Gatorade Player of the Year. I'm not tooting my own horn, but rather saying that this kid has been evaluated as the top guy for a while now. Things only changed because the NCAA showed poor judgement and gave him a ridiculous punishment. The result of that was less video to go off of, but Wiseman's talent and profile has not changed.

Even if the Wolves decide to go in another direction due to their own vision or they trade the pick entirely I would hope that they rightfully evaluate Wiseman as the top talent. This is not the draft to go full Cleveland selects Anthony Bennett in 2013 on us in order to show how "smart" they are.

Cam - You put your finger on my fear with Rosas and his cohorts. It's my fear that they're out to prove how smart they are. David Kahn was the worst in that regard - thinking he was smarter than everyone else. I love Okongwu and think highly of Deni as well as Halliburton. I can see the huge upside of Edwards. I can come up with a list of reasons for picking any of those guys. But it's possible to overthink this thing. Taking a step back and looking at things, it's hard to argue that Wiseman isn't the best talent in this draft - as in upside times probability of reaching his potential.

One of the reasons Kahn made multiple mistakes in the draft is he didn't listen to the smart (or at least competent) people around him. This was partly why he didn't keep any of the talent at assistant GM. We don't know for absolute certainly I guess that Rosas won't just do whatever he thinks is best but that doesn't seem to align with everything he has said and the group he has assembled around him. So I'll guess that a group of people even with a certain vision are less likely to get it wrong than one moron in Kahn.
Lipoli390

Post by Lipoli390 »

monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2916758-2020-nba-draft-buzz-is-a-new-no-1-pick-emerging

I won't take this as anything besides more draft smoke, but I hope there's some semblance of truth there. James Wiseman is the best talent in this draft. I've been hooked on that wagon for over a year now and didn't think it was a hot or even warm take considering he was the top ranked recruit and the Gatorade Player of the Year. I'm not tooting my own horn, but rather saying that this kid has been evaluated as the top guy for a while now. Things only changed because the NCAA showed poor judgement and gave him a ridiculous punishment. The result of that was less video to go off of, but Wiseman's talent and profile has not changed.

Even if the Wolves decide to go in another direction due to their own vision or they trade the pick entirely I would hope that they rightfully evaluate Wiseman as the top talent. This is not the draft to go full Cleveland selects Anthony Bennett in 2013 on us in order to show how "smart" they are.

Cam - You put your finger on my fear with Rosas and his cohorts. It's my fear that they're out to prove how smart they are. David Kahn was the worst in that regard - thinking he was smarter than everyone else. I love Okongwu and think highly of Deni as well as Halliburton. I can see the huge upside of Edwards. I can come up with a list of reasons for picking any of those guys. But it's possible to overthink this thing. Taking a step back and looking at things, it's hard to argue that Wiseman isn't the best talent in this draft - as in upside times probability of reaching his potential.

One of the reasons Kahn made multiple mistakes in the draft is he didn't listen to the smart (or at least competent) people around him. This was partly why he didn't keep any of the talent at assistant GM. We don't know for absolute certainly I guess that Rosas won't just do whatever he thinks is best but that doesn't seem to align with everything he has said and the group he has assembled around him. So I'll guess that a group of people even with a certain vision are less likely to get it wrong than one moron in Kahn.

Monster - That's a really good analysis and I tend to agree with you. But I'm still fearful, which is probably just part of being a long-time Timberwolves fan. :)
Monster

Post by Monster »

lipoli390 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
lipoli390 wrote:
Camden wrote:

Monster - That's a really good analysis and I tend to agree with you. But I'm still fearful, which is probably just part of being a long-time Timberwolves fan. :)

Being fearful is one thing and I certainly share that fear. Being as bad as Kahn...there isn't even a bar to exceed it's just not falling headlong into an abandoned mineshaft that the dog with you was barking warning of the danger ahead.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

After listening to the Rusillo pod with RJ Hampton and Mike Míller I'm all in on RJ at 17. RJ specifically reached out to Mike Míller to prepare for the draft to help him with his shot. Míller already has him working on good habits to be a successful pro. He's a top 3 athlete in the draft. He has the size to play and guard multiple positions. Going to New Zealand made him learn to be a part of a team rather than just be the guy on a college team doing everything. They said it would take 2-3 years for his shot to be fully good to go but Mike thinks he can get him to be a high 30 to low 40% 3pt shooter. I think he's the kind of developmental guy you want at that part of the draft where you can land a potential star if you develop him properly. Give me Wiseman and RJ and I think even if Russell/Towns need to go we would have two great building blocks for a rebuild to go with all the capital those 2 would return.
Camden [enjin:6601484]

Post by Camden [enjin:6601484] »

khans2k5 wrote:After listening to the Rusillo pod with RJ Hampton and Mike Míller I'm all in on RJ at 17. RJ specifically reached out to Mike Míller to prepare for the draft to help him with his shot. Míller already has him working on good habits to be a successful pro. He's a top 3 athlete in the draft. He has the size to play and guard multiple positions. Going to New Zealand made him learn to be a part of a team rather than just be the guy on a college team doing everything. They said it would take 2-3 years for his shot to be fully good to go but Mike thinks he can get him to be a high 30 to low 40% 3pt shooter. I think he's the kind of developmental guy you want at that part of the draft where you can land a potential star if you develop him properly. Give me Wiseman and RJ and I think even if Russell/Towns need to go we would have two great building blocks for a rebuild to go with all the capital those 2 would return.

I'd be alright with this. I like R.J. Hampton quite a bit too. I just wonder about how many guys we can expect to develop and play all at that shooting guard spot. We'd have Hampton, Jarrett Culver, Josh Okogie, Jaylen Nowell, and in all likelihood Malik Beasley. Not to mention, the Wolves will probably have lineups where D'Angelo Russell is playing off the ball while Jordan McLaughlin is on the court. That's a lot of resources invested into basically one position with only so much playing time to go around. Again, I wouldn't be against it, but that would be heavy competition for shooting guard minutes whereas we're somewhat thin at both forward spots.
khans2k5 [enjin:6608728]

Post by khans2k5 [enjin:6608728] »

Camden0916 wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:After listening to the Rusillo pod with RJ Hampton and Mike Míller I'm all in on RJ at 17. RJ specifically reached out to Mike Míller to prepare for the draft to help him with his shot. Míller already has him working on good habits to be a successful pro. He's a top 3 athlete in the draft. He has the size to play and guard multiple positions. Going to New Zealand made him learn to be a part of a team rather than just be the guy on a college team doing everything. They said it would take 2-3 years for his shot to be fully good to go but Mike thinks he can get him to be a high 30 to low 40% 3pt shooter. I think he's the kind of developmental guy you want at that part of the draft where you can land a potential star if you develop him properly. Give me Wiseman and RJ and I think even if Russell/Towns need to go we would have two great building blocks for a rebuild to go with all the capital those 2 would return.

I'd be alright with this. I like R.J. Hampton quite a bit too. I just wonder about how many guys we can expect to develop and play all at that shooting guard spot. We'd have Hampton, Jarrett Culver, Josh Okogie, Jaylen Nowell, and in all likelihood Malik Beasley. Not to mention, the Wolves will probably have lineups where D'Angelo Russell is playing off the ball while Jordan McLaughlin is on the court. That's a lot of resources invested into basically one position with only so much playing time to go around. Again, I wouldn't be against it, but that would be heavy competition for shooting guard minutes whereas we're somewhat thin at both forward spots.

J Mac would be out of the rotation for me. I'd let Beasley walk and I'd look to deal Okogie and roll with Russell/Culver/RJ with J Mac as the depth backup. I'm with you on being light on wings, but I'd rather go for the upside of RJ long-term than get a role player wing at 17. We've passed up on some good players in the past because they weren't ready right away and we went with the Bazz, G, Johnny Flynn, Dunn (I liked him but he's a one way player), etc. type players for more immediate help on the court. A guy like Shaddiq Bey will be a solid role player but he's not an All-Star. I think RJ is a top 5 talent in this draft who's dropping for pretty dumb reasons given the talent level of this draft and given our future uncertainty I'm just stock piling as many high level prospects as I can.
Monster

Post by Monster »

khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I'd be alright with this. I like R.J. Hampton quite a bit too. I just wonder about how many guys we can expect to develop and play all.

Also if Mike Miller can really teach young guys to shoot give him 20 million a year to be on the Wolves coaching staff for life. Lol
worldK

Post by worldK »

rajah
monsterpile wrote:
khans2k5 wrote:
Camden0916 wrote:

I'd be alright with this. I like R.J. Hampton quite a bit too. I just wonder about how many guys we can expect to develop and play all.

Also if Mike Miller can really teach young guys to shoot give him 20 million a year to be on the Wolves coaching staff for life. Lol

I second that.
TheFuture

Post by TheFuture »

I believe I can teach this sub 30% guy to shoot 40% from 3.

Get away. You wouldn't even shoot when you were here, Mike Miller. You decided you were a playmaker.
Monster

Post by Monster »

TheFuture wrote:I believe I can teach this sub 30% guy to shoot 40% from 3.

Get away. You wouldn't even shoot when you were here, Mike Miller. You decided you were a playmaker.

Well the guy did shoot over 40% from 3 for his nba career. Obviously doing and teaching aren't the same thing but his NBA resume is good enough someone could probably listen to what he has to say.

Meanwhile Miller was a part of a trade with Foye to get the 5th pick in a pretty good draft. He had a lot of value still. Remember McHale got Miller in the Love draft night swap. Think of a similar trade value (Miller and Foye) for #5 in this draft that doesn't seem as strong...it still doesn't seem like a good move unless you are a real contender and you have multiple stars already.