Playoffs January 2022

One Stop Spot For All Vikings Related News
Monster

Playoffs January 2022

Post by Monster »

I watched some of the games this weekend. That was some high level of entertainment!

I have to admit I really enjoyed watching the Packers and Rodgers lose to the 49ers. :)

That Bills Chiefs game was really something. It felt like Allen should have had a chance in OT. I know a lot of KC fans so at least they are happy. I was hoping the Bills would win.

One of my friends picked the winners of all 4 games. Last night he was saying maybe he should have put some money on his picks. The answer is yes yes he should have. Lol
FNG

Re: Playoffs January 2022

Post by FNG »

Monster, I don't profess to being a big football fan...I generally only watch the Vikings (sometimes) and the Super Bowl. But with my honey out of town for the weekend, I watched all four games...and what a collection of games they were! I don't think it's hyperbole to call this the greatest playoff weekend ever.

I agree it seemed weird that Allen didn't get a chance to participate in the overtime...change the rule! But as many are saying, if Buffalo squibs the kickoff, Mahomes only gets one play rather than two, and the game likley never gets to OT. What a blunder by Buffalo.

And the weekend only got better with a tremendous Wolves win over the Nets! Not to bring politics into this (although I guess I am :oops: ), I'm 100% with the pope in saying their is a moral obligation to get vaccinated. So to see the two most prominent anti-vaxxers in sports (Rodgers and Irving), it was just the cherry on top for me!

(By the way, I have the greatest admiration for both as players, just not as men.)
Wolvesfan21

Post by Wolvesfan21 »

The Pope is a Dope, probably smokes too much too. It was an amazing weekend for football and as a MN sports fan. GB and Fraudgers throwing up. Great games to watch. Wolves win! It couldn't be any better.

I do think they need to change to a timed overtime. Like two 5 minute halves. One team gets it the first half, next team gets the ball in the second half. If it's tied after that 10 minutes then sudden death, flip the coin. At least then overtime would be much more fair to both teams. If you can't decide a winner then flip the coin, you can't play forever. Next score wins.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Very entertaining games. Just some great QB play in that Buffalo vs. Kansas City classic.

But greatest ever?

Ummm... maybe. But here's the rub -- wouldn't the "best" football include great defense, too? And the defense was laughably bad at the end of some of those games, notably the one in KC. It would be like calling the Wolves inevitable 167 - 160 victory over the Brooklyn Nets in Game 7 of the 2022 NBA Finals as the greatest game ever.

Maybe. But the 2004 Pistons or 1989 Pistons might scoff a bit.
FNG

Post by FNG »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Very entertaining games. Just some great QB play in that Buffalo vs. Kansas City classic.

But greatest ever?

Ummm... maybe. But here's the rub -- wouldn't the "best" football include great defense, too? And the defense was laughably bad at the end of some of those games, notably the one in KC. It would be like calling the Wolves inevitable 167 - 160 victory over the Brooklyn Nets in Game 7 of the 2022 NBA Finals as the greatest game ever.

Defense certainly took a back seat this weekend. But with 4 of the top 10 defenses playing, that makes the offensive explosion in 3 of the 4 games even more impressive.

But I think the pundits are calling it the greatest playoff weekend ever because nobody can remember a weekend that featured such a combo of QB excellence and heart-stopping finishes. I didn't plan to watch all 4 games, but I found it almost impossible to turn off any of the 4 games. Wel,l someone might have turned off the Bucs/Rams games halfway through, but only if they had never heard of Tom Brady.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

FNG wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:Very entertaining games. Just some great QB play in that Buffalo vs. Kansas City classic.

But greatest ever?

Defense certainly took a back seat this weekend. But with 4 of the top 10 defenses playing, that makes the offensive explosion in 3 of the 4 games even more impressive.

But I think the pundits are calling it the greatest playoff weekend ever because nobody can remember a weekend that featured such a combo of QB excellence and heart-stopping finishes. I didn't plan to watch all 4 games, but I found it almost impossible to turn off any of the 4 games. Wel,l someone might have turned off the Bucs/Rams games halfway through, but only if they had never heard of Tom Brady.

Oh. I'm cooler with calling it the best playoff weekend... my comment was more about the Chiefs vs. Bills game. I've seen "greatest" thrown around that one, too.

[Note: To be fair, I still remember the highlights from the Kellen Winslow (Chargers vs. Dolphins) game. That one was pretty great despite a lack of defense too. Maybe it's time I just wrap up the hose, go back inside and let the kids have the lawn...]
Q-is-here

Post by Q-is-here »

I didn't watch the games, but we all know that usually great offense beats great defense in most sports. I guess it depends on if there was a bunch of blown coverages and bad penalties versus amazing throws, catches, and runs. A high-scoring game due to elite-level play making doesn't necessarily mean the defense was bad.
AbeVigodaLive

Post by AbeVigodaLive »

Q-was-here wrote:I didn't watch the games, but we all know that usually great offense beats great defense in most sports. I guess it depends on if there was a bunch of blown coverages and bad penalties versus amazing throws, catches, and runs. A high-scoring game due to elite-level play making doesn't necessarily mean the defense was bad.

More than a couple of CBs simply fell down after getting twisted around by receivers. Guys forgot they were supposed to be in an all-out blitz. Stuff like that.

BUT... yes... Allen and Mahomes, in particular, were absolutely stunningly fantastic.
Monster

Post by Monster »

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Q-was-here wrote:I didn't watch the games, but we all know that usually great offense beats great defense in most sports. I guess it depends on if there was a bunch of blown coverages and bad penalties versus amazing throws, catches, and runs. A high-scoring game due to elite-level play making doesn't necessarily mean the defense was bad.

More than a couple of CBs simply fell down after getting twisted around by receivers. Guys forgot they were supposed to be in an all-out blitz. Stuff like that.

BUT... yes... Allen and Mahomes, in particular, were absolutely stunningly fantastic.

Q KC Was Missing Tyronne Mathiu most of the game after he got a concussion early. Mike Hughes was on of the guys that fell down.
Monster

Post by Monster »

FNG wrote:Monster, I don't profess to being a big football fan...I generally only watch the Vikings (sometimes) and the Super Bowl. But with my honey out of town for the weekend, I watched all four games...and what a collection of games they were! I don't think it's hyperbole to call this the greatest playoff weekend ever.

I agree it seemed weird that Allen didn't get a chance to participate in the overtime...change the rule! But as many are saying, if Buffalo squibs the kickoff, Mahomes only gets one play rather than two, and the game likley never gets to OT. What a blunder by Buffalo.

And the weekend only got better with a tremendous Wolves win over the Nets! Not to bring politics into this (although I guess I am :oops: ), I'm 100% with the pope in saying their is a moral obligation to get vaccinated. So to see the two most prominent anti-vaxxers in sports (Rodgers and Irving), it was just the cherry on top for me!

(By the way, I have the greatest admiration for both as players, just not as men.)

My first inclination was to kick it so there was a. Return also. But then I started thinking especially with some of the players KC has back for the kick. What are the odds of squibbing the kick? What if it gets returned for big yards? What if the Kickoff bounces out of bounds? What if they start at the 43 instead of the 25? Now they basically need one play to get in FG position. Meanwhile KC had what I assume is a dangerous returner back there. The Bills have a good D you should be willing to have them make stops on even 1 play to win the game. They even took timeouts before 2 plays happened and it seemingly didn't matter. How good is their kicker at that type of kick? They were middle of the league in terms of touchbacks on kickoffs (Vikings were first with 80%) so it seems like they were a team willing to roll the dice at times on returns but maybe it depended on the returners or special teams units etc.