Trade deadline

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
FNG

Trade deadline

Post by FNG »

With the deadline 2 weeks away, Ken Rosenthal reports that the Twins are trying to lock up Buxton long term. It's complicated because of his injury history, but it's expected that their offer will be heavily incentive-laden. Makes sense to me. If they can't sign him, Rosenthal says they will trade him before the end of the month. I think this will turn out to be an exercise in how much Buxton (and his agent) believe in his ability to stay healthy. If he believes, I suspect he will reach a deal with the Twins. But if not, I suspect some other team will offer more guaranteed money (i.e. less incentive based) and he will take that. I think it's a good strategy by Falvine, and I hope he stays.

Rumor is Berrios will also be gone if they can't sign him by the end of the month.
Jester1534

Re: Trade deadline

Post by Jester1534 »

FNG wrote:With the deadline 2 weeks away, Ken Rosenthal reports that the Twins are trying to lock up Buxton long term. It's complicated because of his injury history, but it's expected that their offer will be heavily incentive-laden. Makes sense to me. If they can't sign him, Rosenthal says they will trade him before the end of the month. I think this will turn out to be an exercise in how much Buxton (and his agent) believe in his ability to stay healthy. If he believes, I suspect he will reach a deal with the Twins. But if not, I suspect some other team will offer more guaranteed money (i.e. less incentive based) and he will take that. I think it's a good strategy by Falvine, and I hope he stays.

Rumor is Berrios will also be gone if they can't sign him by the end of the month.

4 years 60 million range has always sound like a fair deal for Buxton. That means he will be 32 when he becomes a free agent again. One year younger than Donaldson was when he was battling injury problems. If he proves it he can another 4 year 100 million dollar deal himself.

Berrios is as good as gone. I wonder if Toronto would do a Pearson and Groshans for Berrios and Cruz and Rogers swap.

Semien
Bichette
Cruz
Gurrero
Springer
Hernadez

is a nasty Top 6

and as far as there pitching staff there not a lot of playoff experience besides Ryu
Monster

Post by Monster »

Thanks for posting this info. Is Roesenthal has always seemed pretty legit. I wonder what kind of money the Twins are willing to offer Berrios. It would seem that based on what Rosenthal is reporting there is already high interest in both players which would make sense.

Edit: I just read the article by Rosenthal. He actually said it was more likely the Twins would trade Buxton in the offseason. He didn't really report anything significant on Berrios just assuming a similar situation where they try and sign him and if they don't they may look to move him. It based on this article it doesn't seem like there is any certainty the Twins will make a deal of either guy by the deadline.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

First domino has fallen.

Cruz to Tampa Bay.

Hopefully it's massive overpay and it Shane Baz or Luis Patino

My guess Brent Honeywell Jr

Told you Tampa was in talks with the Twins but I had heard it was for Buxton or Berrios. This is probably a sign that the Twins are not trading Buxton.

Interesting that NL teams wanted Cruz and even have him play the outfield
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Club acquires right-handed minor league pitchers Joe Ryan and Drew Strotman, in exchange for designated hitter Nelson Cruz and right-handed minor league pitcher Calvin Faucher.

Sounds like Joe Ryan is the gem in this trade. Projected as number 3 starter and in is in triple A so probably will be called up this year.
Crazysauce

Post by Crazysauce »

Heard Berrios is looking for 20 million a year. Twins are cheap and will not pay him. Someone will pay Buxton a ton and he will bet on that so outside him signing for an exorbitant amount of money he will likely be gone so we can get some prospects and start the whole waiting for prospects thing all over again.
Monster

Post by Monster »

crazysauce wrote:Heard Berrios is looking for 20 million a year. Twins are cheap and will not pay him. Someone will pay Buxton a ton and he will bet on that so outside him signing for an exorbitant amount of money he will likely be gone so we can get some prospects and start the whole waiting for prospects thing all over again.

I'm not sure why the Twins would balk at 20 million a year unless Berrios wants a really lengthy deal as well. 20 million doesn't seem unreasonable for a good durable starter that's still somewhat young.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
crazysauce wrote:Heard Berrios is looking for 20 million a year. Twins are cheap and will not pay him. Someone will pay Buxton a ton and he will bet on that so outside him signing for an exorbitant amount of money he will likely be gone so we can get some prospects and start the whole waiting for prospects thing all over again.

I'm not sure why the Twins would balk at 20 million a year unless Berrios wants a really lengthy deal as well. 20 million doesn't seem unreasonable for a good durable starter that's still somewhat young.

Actually think 20 million is reasonable for Berrios. He's looking at Zach Wheeler 5yr 118 mil. There stats are similar and Berrios was year younger when hitting free agency. Remember Wheeler also took a pay cut to go to Philly cause his fiancé at the time wanted them to live there.

As for Buxton I think a 2 year 30-35 million dollar deal makes sense. He some what gets paid and then has 2 years to prove to get his 200+ million dollar contract.

Nobody is signing him to 7-8 year deal right now with his injury history.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Sounds like Joe Ryan will be ranked the twins 4th best prospect in the system. I knew the rays were loaded with pitching talent but man there 10th rank guys is out 4th best prospect now.

Also Ryan K/9 are crazy 11.8 in triple A right now.

I know this year has been brutal on Wes Johnson but I still believe in him as a coach and hope he can get this kid even better.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Twins rotation in 2022 if they trade Berrios this year.

Maeda
?
?
?
?

Lol

Also one last thing from Cruz trade sounds like the rays are eating the remaining 4.8 million.

This is actually big deal when it comes to Donaldson. This means they could eat extra 5 mil to get a ways better prospect from Mets or whoever wants him.