2020 MLB Draft Thread

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

2020 MLB Draft Thread

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Is everyone ready?

Does anyone know why it is only 5 rounds?
Monster

Re: 2020 MLB Draft Thread

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:Is everyone ready?

Does anyone know why it is only 5 rounds?

I happened to see that it starts tonight. I guess I may watch some of it both days. I guess I should pull out some Twins stuff to wear today. I have. Been wearing sports stuff much.

As for it being only 5 rounds...where have you been?!?!? Even I know about that and I haven't been paying much attention to sports. Lol I'm sure you have already looked it up. It's gonna he interesting how that effects teams taking or not taking HS players or other guys with high upsides that may have limited Chances to develop since who knows if there will be any minor league seasons etc.

I didn't look it up. Is it a one-year thing?
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I didn't look it up. Is it a one-year thing?

No supposedly this is the ways it's going to be going forward. I guess a number of owners have wanted this for a while. Personally I think it's ridiculous. Cutting it back to like 10-15 rounds sure. 5? Weird. It completely makes sense for this year though and I wonder if the baseball people in the organizations that were strongly opposed to this while prevail. Once the minor leagues are back up and running I guess players will he able to pick more where they go so that's a positive for them...I'm gonna guess we are going to see a number of retirement announcements from guys because well it's unlikely they are going to have a chance to work their way back in. Span retired he didn't play last year because he didn't get an offer for more than the vet min so he said that wasn't enough to be away from his family. Can't blame him but he also has a nice chunk of money he made so that likely made the decision easier. Ryan O'Rourke retired too. Sorry to break the news.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Just sat down to watch this must see event. I can't believe some of these picks. What were these teams thinking?

3. Miami Marlins: Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota

monsterpile wrote:

No supposedly this is the ways it's going to be going forward. I guess a number of owners have wanted this for a while. Personally I think it's ridiculous. Cutting it back to like 10-15 rounds sure. 5? Weird. It completely makes sense for this year though and I wonder if the baseball people in the organizations that were strongly opposed to this while prevail. Once the minor leagues are back up and running I guess players will he able to pick more where they go so that's a positive for them...I'm gonna guess we are going to see a number of retirement announcements from guys because well it's unlikely they are going to have a chance to work their way back in. Span retired he didn't play last year because he didn't get an offer for more than the vet min so he said that wasn't enough to be away from his family. Can't blame him but he also has a nice chunk of money he made so that likely made the decision easier. Ryan O'Rourke retired too. Sorry to break the news.

I thought it was a 1 year thing. That is crazy. 10 rounds made sense. So the kid that doesn't get drafted. How long do teams hold his rights after he signs?
Monster

Post by Monster »

The Twins pick Aaron Sabato a power 1b out of UNC. I think I've actually heard of this guy because a guy I work with is a UNC baseball fan.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

I cant stress how much I hate this pick. There hoping he's Pete Alonso but he's most likely Daniel Vogelbach. I Rather they took a prep pitcher instead and develop him.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:

I thought it was a 1 year thing. That is crazy. 10 rounds made sense. So the kid that doesn't get drafted. How long do teams hold his rights after he signs?

You don't hold rights. If your not signed you can go back in the draft pool 2 years later. This can even happen with top picks I believe the Astros couldn't sign Mark Appel 5-6 years ago.

The worst part in this draft is there deferring the kids signing bonus over 3 years. So Meyer will get like 6 million but there only paying them 100k this year and then he will make 3 mil next year and 3 mil the year after that.