News from the farm

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232]

News from the farm

Post by bleedspeed177 [enjin:6603232] »

Figured I would start a thread for this.

We might have some big bats making their way to the majors vis Rooker and Kirilloff.

It would be nice to ad some pop that we thought Sano would provide.
http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2018/06/mining-minors-alex-kirilloff-earns-promotion-nick-gordon-seeing-time-second-base/
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: News from the farm

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Wow, Kirilloff is just killing it...well-deserved promotion!

Monster asked in another thread who I would have called up instead of Taylor (0 for 12) Motter. Well, it depends. Bringing up Motter makes sense if they had already given up on the season, and didn't want to start the clock on a prospect. But if we were really trying to win, I would have brought up Nick Gordon. I get that he is only hitting in the .260s, but that's 100 points higher than Motter and he's a real prospect. At least he would have provided a little excitement, and maybe could have stepped into the starting 2b role if Dozier gets moved.

LST - I think the Taylor Motter callup has more to do with bringing up a warm body for a few games then rest of season decision. I am guessing when we call up Gordon we are not planning to send him back down.

bleedspeed177 wrote:LST - I think the Taylor Motter callup has more to do with bringing up a warm body for a few games then rest of season decision. I am guessing when we call up Gordon we are not planning to send him back down.

Could be, Bleed...but with a .167 batting average in AAA ball and a sub .200 major league average, I would call Motter luke-warm at best!

longstrangetrip wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:LST - I think the Taylor Motter callup has more to do with bringing up a warm body for a few games then rest of season decision. I am guessing when we call up Gordon we are not planning to send him back down.

Could be, Bleed...but with a .167 batting average in AAA ball and a sub .200 major league average, I would call Motter luke-warm at best!

:-) True enough.

I wonder if they feel he has a coaching career in front of him.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Maybe they thought his major league experience, versatility in the field and his former pretty good AAA numbers were more of a true picture than what he was doing in AAA this year. Who had Niko Goodrum on a major league roster this year (he has even played SS) with 21 extra base hits in 175 ABs? I was his biggest fan and I didn't see that coming. The last few years the Twins have done a pretty good job with these types of players. They may need to find the next Nunez/Escobar/Adrianza type. There are more than one type of "prospect". Anyway let's get back to the actual prospects and stuff.

Gordon based on his stats and the fact this is his first time in AAA at age 22...he probably doesn't look ready. That's should not be shocking and I see no reason to bring him up unless he starts raking for a month or more at AAA. Do we want to bring him up and let him flounder at this level? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

Maybe they thought his major league experience, versatility in the field and his former pretty good AAA numbers were more of a true picture than what he was doing in AAA this year. Who had Niko Goodrum on a major league roster this year (he has even played SS) with 21 extra base hits in 175 ABs? I was his biggest fan and I didn't see that coming. The last few years the Twins have done a pretty good job with these types of players. They may need to find the next Nunez/Escobar/Adrianza type. There are more than one type of "prospect". Anyway let's get back to the actual prospects and stuff.

Gordon based on his stats and the fact this is his first time in AAA at age 22...he probably doesn't look ready. That's should not be shocking and I see no reason to bring him up unless he starts raking for a month or more at AAA. Do we want to bring him up and let him flounder at this level? It doesn't make any sense to me.

This is what September call ups are for...

Jester1534 wrote:
monsterpile wrote:
bleedspeed177 wrote:
longstrangetrip wrote:

This is what September call ups are for...

True. But does anyone really believe Motter was going to be more successful in the majors than Gordon if they had brought him up. Promoting Motter was a clear case of waving the red flag...this is a lost season, and management didn't want to start Gordon's clock. Gordon is not a typical minor leaguer...with a dad and a brother having big league experience, he's not going to overwhelmed by the bright lights...he practically grew up in big league dugouts. I would have given him a taste of the majors, so he's ready to be our everyday second baseman when we move Dozier at the deadline.

I look at it this way. What is more important? Hoping bringing up a rookie top prospect and hope he is ready to swim or keep developing that prospect for the long-term. I don't see calling up Gordon as a way to get this team to the playoffs. He is a good prospect, but I see him as a solid middle infielder and not a huge upside. I doubt he ever reaches Chuck Knoblauch like levels at 2nd.

Not in the farrm yet, but Trevor Larnach was raking in College World Series.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-draft-choice-trevor-larnach-ninth-inning-homer-oregon-state/486766651/