Shohei Ohtani

A place for Twinscentric Discussion
bleedspeed

Shohei Ohtani

Post by bleedspeed »

Anyone have any more insight into him?

http://www.1500espn.com/twins-2/2017/11/shohei-ohtani-sweepstakes-might-get-little-weird/
longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564]

Re: Shohei Ohtani

Post by longstrangetrip [enjin:6600564] »

Well, he's Asian, and we have had great luck signing Asians. What could go worng?
Jester1534

Post by Jester1534 »

Tsuyoshi Nishioka never forget being a rube and buying his jersey.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

How old was Nishioka? Looked up this kid and he is 6'4" 215lbs. Seems physically big, but is he a pitcher or OF?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Just because we missed on someone else before doesn't mean you don't go after this guy if he is good. I don't know any more than what i have heard from Wetmore about him but he sounds good and he might even like the Twins more than some of the high profile places. If it's just money go for it. That's all the Twins lost in the previous deals and that's not as big of a deal for the Twins anymore. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm not all in on him but if they go get him I'm all for it. It's a different front office than the one that signed the other guys too.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

I wonder if the organization would have a better plan to help him succeed here vs the past. I don't think you can put all of it on the player.
Monster

Post by Monster »

bleedspeed177 wrote:I wonder if the organization would have a better plan to help him succeed here vs the past. I don't think you can put all of it on the player.

Good point. Nishi had some problems with getting hurt too which didn't help. Park was injured as well and while he had over 400 abs last year in the minors I think he was hurt a couple different times during the season. I wonder if he stays in the minors if he ends up being a guy that helps if there are multiple injuries and someone else doesn't leapfrog him. He seems to be a pretty good defensive 1b which helps. He isn't just a guy you have to stick there because that's the only spot he can reasonably play. Anywho sometimes it doesn't work out. How many other international free agents haven't worked out that the Twins have signed? High draft picks? What about that guy we drafted in say the 20th round that turned out to be a pretty good player? You take a bunch of educated shots knowing some won't work out. Some cost more than others.
Monster

Post by Monster »

So...now the Twins have even more international money...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/twins-void-3-million-contract-dominican-shortstop-jelfry-marte/

Edit:

Never mind I guess this is actually old news this is how they have the over 3 million they have now.
Monster

Post by Monster »

We didn't make the cut. Jester do you have any thoughts on what of the other international FA the Twins should get in on? There are a few guys still since the Braves couldn't sign their guys.
bleedspeed

Post by bleedspeed »

This sucks. I didn't see it happening, but was hoping I was wrong.